Hello! I am a time traveler from 1960, and I am trying to get home

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is an Agop 30th Anniversary 24" $276 better than a....
Stop. Stop right there. Where are you finding a 30th Anniversary for $276? Swipe that up right now and if you dont like it, sell it for $400. People go nuts for Agops. I think they are too complex/trashy, but lots of people swear by them because they think they will sound like Carter McLean.

If I knew what "Old K's" sounded like, I would try to help you but I really have no clue.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Stop. Stop right there. Where are you finding a 30th Anniversary for $276? Swipe that up right now and if you dont like it, sell it for $400. People go nuts for Agops. I think they are too complex/trashy, but lots of people swear by them because they think they will sound like Carter McLean.

If I knew what "Old K's" sounded like, I would try to help you but I really have no clue.
I'm pretty sure he means it's $276 more expensive than a comparable (?) 24" Bosphorus. If not, please send the seller to me and I'll snap that up right now.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he means it's $276 more expensive than a comparable (?) 24" Bosphorus. If not, please send the seller to me and I'll snap that up right now.
Aah, just re-read that. Yep, I need more coffee to understand words today.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aah, just re-read that. Yep, I need more coffee to understand words today.
Sorry, yeah. My bad.
I was just blown away - I know the 30th Anniversaries are more expensive, but (on cymbalsonly) it's $734 vs. $458 for a Bos 20th. I remember Bosphorus being a premium option, I thought priced a little higher than Agop or Mehmet. Now the Trads are undercutting Zildjian and the Golds (I know they're more rock-oriented) being priced like used cymbals. That's before you even get into Turkish or Soultone or TRX or Masterwork or Dirils or Grandmaster etc etc etc

Also, I know there aren't 500 facilities each making one brand. Tons of stencil brands and overlap.

Like I said, it's just too many options, which is actually in a lot of ways harder than not enough.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah. My bad.
I was just blown away - I know the 30th Anniversaries are more expensive, but (on cymbalsonly) it's $734 vs. $458 for a Bos 20th. I remember Bosphorus being a premium option, I thought priced a little higher than Agop or Mehmet. Now the Trads are undercutting Zildjian and the Golds (I know they're more rock-oriented) being priced like used cymbals. That's before you even get into Turkish or Soultone or TRX or Masterwork or Dirils or Grandmaster etc etc etc

Also, I know there aren't 500 facilities each making one brand. Tons of stencil brands and overlap.

Like I said, it's just too many options, which is actually in a lot of ways harder than not enough.
Maybe something like an Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia is what you are looking for? They make a 50's and a 70's series in this line. I believe the 50's series has a bit more umbrella shaped profile with a bigger bell and the 70's is a touch flatter profile with smaller bells. They sound a little different from each other, but overall you can tell they come from the same family line. Considering Mehmet worked with Mikhail Zilcan when those vintage K series Zildjians were made, I would think he and his company are best suited to recreate those original sounds.

50's series:

70's series:

tbird8450

Reaction score
Sorry, yeah. My bad.

They were mentioned earlier, but if the big names are giving you sticker shock (or even if they aren't), it is very worthwhile to take a look at Cymbal & Gong, particularly the Holy Grails if old Ks are your thing. They've got some truly vintage sounds dialed in in a way that I haven't heard from any of the big guys in their current lines.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe something like an Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia is what you are looking for?
I'll second that. I have a pair of old K hats. The closest I've played in a contemporary pair of hats is Mehmet's Nostalgia series (also Cymbal and Gong's Holy Grails). If either of those hats were matched-weight, they'd be even closer to the old K sound.