Hello, I'm almost NEW

beto_drummer

Reaction score
Hey Beto! LOVE those Tamas, that finish is gorgeous (the bass drum, woooo that’s pretty) The whole setup looks awesome, I dig the layout. Tama makes a very nice drum, I’ve always found their fit and finish, build quality, everything, to be very precise and well done. (The SLP snares are some of my all time favorites)

Always nice to meet another drummer, good to have you. What’s your thing, what do you love to play most?
Hello Drumbumcrumb. I'm not a super experienced drummer and I have a loooot to learn and understand. So I appreciate a lot of words. Despite buying this tama drumkit was a super deal, I research/investigate a lot and... every single review, opinion, comment of this kit... was nothing but good. I really don't remember a reading a bad comment. And the fact Tama is one of the brands I love the most... well... It was a great opportunity, and I took it.
OHHHHHh the SLP Snares... what a crazy selection of snares... you have so much to choose from. I want the Classic Dry Aluminum, the G-Bubinga, the G-Walnut and the Stainless Steel one... and the Duo Birch :toothy7::love10: OK OK, I want ALL!. Also love those Starphonics....

What's my thing... What I like to play the most, is fast tempo heavy music, nothing extreme... fast enough to be fun, slow enough to hit moderatly hard. Now I'm listening to a lot of Japanese bands. I will put an example here, so you have an idea of what I like. In the "occident" side of music, I like for example Epica, Nightwish, Metallica, Pantera, Aeroshmith, Guns N Roses, ACDC.... but I can also listen from Britney Spears to Dance Music... I actually like electronic music... also fast jazz, some fusion... =D =D

Last edited:

beto_drummer

Reaction score
Hi Beto - I'm pretty new here too. But I'm old so don't worry about something like "mid level" kit. It looks great and if you tune lift up well and make it sound your best and it works for you - WONDERFUL!

I'm kind of old and been on a lot of forums, but in my short time here I have found people here to be super cool. I hope your experience is like mine.

(I LOVE the look of your new kit, BTW. Very cool!)
Thank you JonnyFranchi$e!!! Thanks for your words. :thumbleft: :toothy10:
Yes! I'm pretty happy with this kit, I would only like to put some great drumheads (I was thinking about Remo Ambassador X or Emperor in toms and a PowerStroke 3 on bassdrum, because I'm using the ones that came with the kit those "tama power craft II drumheads". But I'm currently using it only to practice... so... it's a lot of money to change drumheads for only playing at home... :dontknow:

Yes... as far as I see... lot of super cool people... and very experienced ones!

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Oh man, I’m loving the Ambassador X! Great head. Works beautifully for a snare batter head as well. Also pretty impressed with the Evans G12 if you’re an Evans guy. The G12 works well on a snare too.

Ambassador X with PS3 on bass drum is a great combination, big, fat, classic sound with a little attitude on the toms. PS3’s can do pretty much anything, great open sound or add muffling if you need/want it, sound good at all kindsa tunings.

G12’s and an EMAD batter/EQ reso... That’s a helluva combo too. There’s nothing more user friendly than an EMAD with an EQ4 (or 3), it just sounds good right off with no fuss. Less “natural” sounding than PS3’s, more of a modern sound. Very nice, tight, satisfying thump. Pretty much everyone loves them, they really are great heads.

You can’t go wrong, man! Those drums will sound good whatever you go with.

beto_drummer

Reaction score
Hello! @Drumbumcrumb... thank you for your words and information!
I was thinking in Remo mostly because I was said by a person who I moderatly trust for his knowledge in drums, that because of the way Remo drumheads were done, had a more open sound than Evans. And, if I was looking for a more kinda "controlled" sound, perhaps my best bet would be Evans.
So, I thought that being my drumset hyperdrive (short toms) it would be best to equip a more open sound...

Perhaps my conclusion is not right... but that's the reason of why I would chose Remo... only that. I have some extra drumheads for my snare, for example Aquarian Texture Coated, or Evans HD Dry... and it all looks like great quality.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Hello! @Drumbumcrumb... thank you for your words and information!
I was thinking in Remo mostly because I was said by a person who I moderatly trust for his knowledge in drums, that because of the way Remo drumheads were done, had a more open sound than Evans. And, if I was looking for a more kinda "controlled" sound, perhaps my best bet would be Evans.
So, I thought that being my drumset hyperdrive (short toms) it would be best to equip a more open sound...

Perhaps my conclusion is not right... but that's the reason of why I would chose Remo... only that. I have some extra drumheads for my snare, for example Aquarian Texture Coated, or Evans HD Dry... and it all looks like great quality.
I think what that person said is kinda generally true (although Remo has controlled options and Evans has open options). Certainly when I think of an open, classic sound it’s Remo that pops into my head. And I associate Evans with a controlled, modern sound. If anything, I’d imagine the short toms will be a bit cleaner, less muddy, more articulate and well, faster. All great qualities for a set of drums.

With fast toms, what I might do there is go for the biggest, most punchy sound I can get which may not be with Ambassadors. (Once you get into the range of options, I’m not sure there’s a difference in one brands “openness” over another) But if what you usually play is similar to what you like to listen to, it sounds like Evans could be a good match for you. (Mardelas’ sound is very G2/EMAD for example. Also, I’m in love with Marina so thanks for introducing us). G2 over G1 plus your cast hoops, that’s some serious punch. Of course, G2’s with an EMAD would be all wrong for jazz, so it comes down to your playlist. I guess what I’m saying is - stay open to whatever gets you YOUR sound, don’t put too much stock in “I’ve been using xyz heads for 37 years and they’re the best”. As you said, they’re all good quality.

Here’s an episode of one of the best drum shows on YT, they just did this one on modern drum sound (check out the bass drum sound, EMAD batter with EQ3 reso):

beto_drummer

Reaction score
I think what that person said is kinda generally true (although Remo has controlled options and Evans has open options). Certainly when I think of an open, classic sound it’s Remo that pops into my head. And I associate Evans with a controlled, modern sound. If anything, I’d imagine the short toms will be a bit cleaner, less muddy, more articulate and well, faster. All great qualities for a set of drums.

With fast toms, what I might do there is go for the biggest, most punchy sound I can get which may not be with Ambassadors. (Once you get into the range of options, I’m not sure there’s a difference in one brands “openness” over another) But if what you usually play is similar to what you like to listen to, it sounds like Evans could be a good match for you. (Mardelas’ sound is very G2/EMAD for example. Also, I’m in love with Marina so thanks for introducing us). G2 over G1 plus your cast hoops, that’s some serious punch. Of course, G2’s with an EMAD would be all wrong for jazz, so it comes down to your playlist. I guess what I’m saying is - stay open to whatever gets you YOUR sound, don’t put too much stock in “I’ve been using xyz heads for 37 years and they’re the best”. As you said, they’re all good quality.

Here’s an episode of one of the best drum shows on YT, they just did this one on modern drum sound (check out the bass drum sound, EMAD batter with EQ3 reso):

WOOW!! Did you know Mardelas or is the first time you listen to them?
OH YES... I LOVE MARINA San sooo much, she has an incredible voice and she's soooo cuteeee....

Thank you @Drumbumcrumb for all your... advice with the drumheads. And yes, I agree with you, I'm not married with any brand (it's a saying in my country, it's like saying I would use any brand, without problems, no fanaticism). I would use Remo, Evans, Aquarian... Attack... ASPR... As long as I get nearly same quality from near the same price (or less :toothy7: )

I saw the video you posted, I knew that guy... he make some quality videos. Oh yes!
Thank you...
Sincerely!