Hello World

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Brady and I made my account today. I've played saxophone for about 17 years after starting on clarinet. I relearned clarinet 7 years ago and picked up flute as well, acquired a bass clarinet a couple years later, then learned trombone and eventually a little trumpet/cornet. It was probably 5 years ago I began playing drums when a friend's band lost their drummer and I figured there was nothing I couldn't learn after hearing their songs. The past 5 years have been a whirlwind journey as a drummer and a pretty extraordinary musical rebirth for me and I'm extremely happy to be playing drums now.

I began by borrowing and cobbling together various drums and cymbals just to practice and play shows on, then bought my first kit from a friend a year or so in. It was a mapex birch kit, entry level, and it wasn't long til I replaced it with a custom maple keller shell kit in teal oyster pearl some guy had assembled at the tacoma drum shop a couple decades ago. Was able to acquire some meinl byzance cymbals around that time for stupid cheap as well, which was pretty exciting. Since then I've also acquired two full sets of 70s Ludwig shells, one butcher block and one walnut cortex, which I really loved but am now selling. A real tipping point for me was a few years ago when I got a full set of Sonor Designer series maple heavy shells from a church, including a matching snare, for $500. Those drums were what turned me on to Sonor, and they kind of blew my mind at the time, especially at that price. I ended up retiring them due to their sizes, weight, and flat white finish, but preemptively replaced them with a set of 2010 Sonor Delites in high gloss macassar ebony, which are likely to be my go-to drums for the foreseeable future. They are responsive, well-balanced, tuneful, portable, and gorgeous. I also feel like I have my own voice with them among the scads of DW, Tama, Pearl, etc. players out there.

As far as snares go, I've been through some custom keller builds in various sizes and configurations, as well as a ddrum reflex, natal hammered steel, tama piccolo, and dw workshop brass. My current go-to is a Sonor SQ2 heavy maple 14x6.5" I splurged on, partially for the matching macassar ebony finish but mainly because I knew it'd be a phenomenal drum. To supplement that I have two 14x6.5" custom builds by Bo Swanger (excellent drum maker local to the olympic peninsula and a good friend), a brass and an aluminum respectively, an oak stave 14x4" custom build (also assembled by Bo), and a 70s 14x5" supraphonic. Somehow in the past week I've come to acquire two pre-serial 14x5" Ludwig snares, a super and a super sensitive respectively, both chrome over brass. I'm planning on replacing my 70s supra with one of those but am still undecided as to which will be its successor.

My journey with cymbals has also been long and meandering. I began by just going for whatever quality stuff I could get ahold of- the aforementioned byzance sand hats and a medium crash, an aax-plosion crash, a soundcaster custom medium ride. Then some zildjians- a ping ride, then a 21" sweet ride, then 14" k hats, then a k custom hi definition ride, then a 22" k ride. Was also experimenting with paiste around that time due to the influence of Jon Wurster- some signature medium hats, a couple signature crashes (full and mellow), a 20" 602 medium ride and a sound creation full crash. Now playing various K constantinoples (14" hats, 17" crash, 19" crash/ride, 20" and 22" mediums, 22" med thin low) and vintage As from the 50s and 60s, all of which I love. The most exciting find among these was a recent one: a 22" block stamp in a nice medium weight with the most beautiful mix of stick sound and wash. The sheer diversity of sounds I can get from these cymbals is mind boggling to me and I doubt I'll ever be bored or unhappy around them.

Anyway, I'm joining your leagues at the urging of my friend squidart. I'm located in the Seattle area. Hope everyone is managing well and continuing to make music in some meaningful way during this dumpster fire of a year. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Brady! You're gonna get GAS here.
I will vouch for you since we're bandmates but, if you misbehave I don't know you.
Seriously gang Brady is a fine drummer/multi instrumentalist and a good human. :)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

With all the wind instruments you play, you could be in some serious demand!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome.
Neat place with a nice coffee room. Mind the carpet.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, Brady.

I hold drummers who play other instruments in high regard, unless that other instrument happens to be recorder.

Anyway, glad you’re here. And something tells me you’re going to be our go to guy for questions about bass clarinet, which I think is a badass instrument.

What sort of music do you drum?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Brady! You're gonna get GAS here.
I will vouch for you since we're bandmates but, if you misbehave I don't know you.
Seriously gang Brady is a fine drummer/multi instrumentalist and a good human. :)
Oh great, another good human...doesn’t DFO have enough of them already? ;)

Welcome aboard Brady! I’m a recovering guitar player myself, and am working hard on becoming a half decent drummer at 61 years old. Like you, drumming has been a musical rebirth for me. Enjoy your time here. See you on the forums! :salute:

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Hey welcome!

I'm relatively new here, but all my interactions on this forum have been remarkably cool.

As for your gear exposition, you had me at "butcher block" - someday I'm totally getting a butcher block kit. To me it's the coolest weird looking wrap out there.

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
Hi! As of now I'm mainly involved with an indie/chamber rock group called Cape Nowhere. Mostly sparse and traditional drumming, with whatever I can safely incorporate to cater to my short attention span. I've been practicing a lot out of the Future Sounds book by Dave Garibaldi lately, and occasionally working on different drum alphabet stuff over swing patterns too just to improve my flexibility.

Re. the butcher block kit- I've been enamored ever since I got the bass drum in a jellybean-type setup a few years back. I'll really miss them and may end up trying to find another kit somewhere down the line after I've let these go.

Welcome to the Forum, Brady.

I hold drummers who play other instruments in high regard, unless that other instrument happens to be recorder.

Anyway, glad you’re here. And something tells me you’re going to be our go to guy for questions about bass clarinet, which I think is a badass instrument.

What sort of music do you drum?

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
Just realized I accidentally replied to your mention of butcher block drums in a separate response. But yes, I'm hoping this'll be a good outlet for all my newfound drum knowledge.

Hey welcome!

I'm relatively new here, but all my interactions on this forum have been remarkably cool.

As for your gear exposition, you had me at "butcher block" - someday I'm totally getting a butcher block kit. To me it's the coolest weird looking wrap out there.

Ian S

Reaction score
Greets and welcome Rhythm Block, from another newbie, also in Seattle here. Cheers.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and remember, pictures of drums are an important part of being here. Take 'em and post 'em. Again, Welcome and have fun.

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
Meant to upload photos with the original post but I used up all my bandwidth just typing it I guess. Here's a couple photos, one of my first studio recording session featuring my 70s butcher block ludwigs, and one from my practice space with my sonors. The practice space is a small plot in the corner of a warehouse and despite the challenge of climate control it's a great spot. I'll probably be reheading the full Sonor kit soon, at which point I'll get all four toms set up again for some prime time great ape style walloping. More pictures to come around that time.

Attachments