Helluva great snare drum deal

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Mapex is the only "major" manufacturer I haven't dabbled in over the years. I've been temped but never pulled the trigger.
I've owned a few Mapex snares over the years, all have been part of the Black Panther line. Every one has been a really good drum and a great value.

mcirish

Reaction score
My only Mapex is an inexpensive Armory Dillinger. For the price I paid, it's not bad but I would have jumped on this deal had I not just got the Dillinger. Yes, they some dumb (Jr. High) kind of names. I was interested in the Exterminator too. Sadly, another dumb name. I'd like to get a Cherry Bomb. I've heard a few recordings of those. Very nice.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Mapex is the only "major" manufacturer I haven't dabbled in over the years. I've been temped but never pulled the trigger.
So, Im 80 and still play weekly mainly Jazz and Blues now but some soft Rock. I decided to treat myself to a new snare. Ive been a Pearl,Yamaha and Sonor User. They have served me well but i was intrigued by Mapex new line in the Black Panther series. Listened a lot on you tube to demos and really liked what i heard in the 5 1/2 x 14 Brass Cat. So i took the plunge..$600 Canadian...
i’m blown away By this drum. The sensitivity is incredible. I have Osteo in my hands so deformed fingers and stiff wrists particularly in the left which makes it tough as i still play 80% with the old opposed grip. The Cat is so very sensitive that the accents and press rolls are now no problem. This drum Has great acoustics and can be played quiet or big but with a warm tone that i did not experience in my Pearl Steel or the wood Yamaha or Sonor snares. The hardware is very high quality with a double micrometer click snare tension syestem and a lock in Gladstone type quick throwoff.. i do a lot of Latin..
In short Mapex has my vote.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Mapex's juvenile ad campaign, but apart from a handful of other drummers, no one hearing us play a Mapex snare would know that or care. Maybe there's no point in getting hung up on the grade school descriptions they use. It does turn me off a little but it wouldn't keep me from getting a great sounding snare if I thought I could use it. A great drum is a great drum.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
The sledgehammer was one of the best snares I've owned for metal. We open for quite a few nationally touring bands that use that snare.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's great to hear to many positives for Mapex. I agree, their marketing leaves much to be desired, as does their horrendous website.

I have a SledgeHammer as well. I love it. A great, rich, wall-cracking drum. They make top quality gear. But their weak marketing and, I hate to say it, their name, makes them a problem for many of the older drummers. It takes a LOT to walk back a bad first impression.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sure glad I pic my drums with my ears, and not just my eyes. :)
Should add I also pic with my wallet.

yyUr

Reaction score
This just posted on YouTube. For all you Mapex haters out there...
The drum sounds damn good...even with the UT heads. Especially for that price. Excellent appointments on it too. If I hadn't just ordered a snare, I would get one of these.

Thank you for the Heads up. Just ordered one