Helluva Unboxing Video: Tama Star Maple

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'd be willing to wager that many of us here have 20K or more invested in gear, this guy simply spent that on a matching lifetime shell bank and good for him.

That would also be a significant down payment on a home so I'm sure his spouse or GF loves the purchase as much as him, ha.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let the hating begin. who among you wants to pile on ? I know you're out there.

Come on, show your true colors
What are you talking about!? What hate?!

Good instruments cost money and the Tama Star shure are worth every penny IMO. We are lucky we don’t play Chello’s, Violins or Bassoons!

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You had to go and remind me that my son's student level cello is just sitting in our house unplayed and that it's worth about as much as-- well, as much as a Star Walnut 3 piece. :D

Good instruments cost money and the Tama Star shure are worth every penny IMO. We are lucky we don’t play Chello’s, Violins or Bassoons!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ha! Although the star series is definitely one kit I’d love to get.
Me too... bop sizes. Also think the Starclassic maples, from the online demos, sound just as nice. Bought my "last" drum set for my 60th birthday last year, but heck, 65 is around the corner...

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You had to go and remind me that my son's student level cello is just sitting in our house unplayed and that it's worth about as much as-- well, as much as a Star Walnut 3 piece. :D
Ha! Sell it and buy some drums! ;-)

An old buddy of mine is a pro Bassoon player with the Iceland Symphony and his intrument is worth more than two 17 piece Star Maple stacks. It’s around 50k.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, that's one helluva set o' drums.
I had to chuckle when they were loading the elevator one box at a time, with two dolley's/hand trucks right at hand.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Good for him. Stars are worth every penny in my opinion. A shell bank? Sign me up ! The amount of money I must have spent on gear that I got rid of probably exceeds that amount he spent.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like that he went with the maples. Tama has had a lot of success with the bubinga and other "non-traditional" wood drums, but people forget just how good their maples drums are. The original thin shelled starclassic maples are pretty killer drums. I imagine those Star series are pretty impressive in person.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let the hating begin. who among you wants to pile on ? I know you're out there.

Come on, show your true colors
No hating from me. I'm just saying that's a lot of money. It's not something I could afford or justify, but if it works for him and he can afford it good on him!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

there was a response saying it wasn't worth the money.

m_anderson

Reaction score
As much as I love my bubinga snares and bass drums, I do agree with Mike's comment early in the video that maple is more versatile. As far as the kit goes, congrats and I hope he's happy with it. Personally, I would never use that many drums. I'm a 4 or 5 piece kit drummer (which saves me a lot of money). Wish I had the chance to A/B the STAR series next to my 2006 Japan Starclassic kit. This was a custom order before the line was moved to China. If you custom order a Starclassic from the Japan Custom Shop, it probably comes close in price to the STAR series. I ordered my Starclassic 18x14 bubinga bass drum from the Japan Custom Shop after the move and it was $1100, and that was quite a few years ago.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this story. Would you say more?
I was quite young, not long before I started working professionally. I was like most young drummers, staring at copies of Modern Drummer, day dreaming of my "dream kit". So, I dropped a stupid amount of money, and ordered it; three kicks, three snares, Ronnie Tutt amount of toms, etc.

I waited 10 months for this kit. I picked the finish, satin hardware, etc. Then I get the call - its in. I rush out to the store, they had all the boxes stacked out front. They were waiting to see this thing, as much as me.

So, I ripped open one of the boxes (8" tom), pull it out, hold it up, and, I felt...nothing. I mean, they looked great, like a drum ad...but clearly I had built them up much much bigger, in my head.

That being said, lets get them home, set them up, and see how they sound, play...feel. I set them up, tweak the tuning to my taste. Then I dive in. Again, I felt...nothing. Did they sound good? Yeah, good, but not great.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I fell for the marketing. I fell for all the hearsay; "BEST drums ever, you have to get a set!", I fell for the idea that I would play better (I mean, inspiration=a better drummer, right?). Reality is, I didn't get a thing from that purchase...except a life lesson - buy with your ears. Microphones don't care about the brand.

I sold the kit six months later, lost money on it (I deserve that). Since then I don't have an allegiance to any brand, I like any kit that sounds perfect, for what the gig/session demands. I like a kit that's fun to play, has its own vibe...that, I like. I've had more fun on a vintage MIJ, $100.00 kit, then over that DW set. I'm sure that'll trigger some DW loyalist. But, its the truth.

This has always been something about John Wood that annoys me. Selling the idea that some 1000 year old log found deep in a Romanian swamp will make a difference...silly. He certainly likes to tell a story (that new almond kit? Come on, what's next, bark mulch?).

Like I said before, each person has the right to buy what they want. I just believe a lot have been suckered.

Last edited:

Latest posts