Helluva Unboxing Video: Tama Star Maple

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was quite young, not long before I started working professionally. I was like most young drummers, staring at copies of Modern Drummer, day dreaming of my "dream kit". So, I dropped a stupid amount of money, and ordered it; three kicks, three snares, Ronnie Tutt amount of toms, etc.

I waited 10 months for this kit. I picked the finish, satin hardware, etc. Then I get the call - its in. I rush out to the store, they had all the boxes stacked out front. They were waiting to see this thing, as much as me.

So, I ripped open one of the boxes (8" tom), pull it out, hold it up, and, I felt...nothing. I mean, they looked great, like a drum ad...but clearly I had built them up much much bigger, in my head.

That being said, lets get them home, set them up, and see how they sound, play...feel. I set them up, tweak the tuning to my taste. Then I dive in. Again, I felt...nothing. Did they sound good? Yeah, good, but not great.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I fell for the marketing. I fell for all the hearsay; "BEST drums ever, you have to get a set!", I fell for the idea that I would play better (I mean, inspiration=a better drummer, right?). Reality is, I didn't get a thing from that purchase...except a life lesson - buy with your ears. Microphones don't care about the brand.

I sold the kit six months later, lost money on it (I deserve that). Since then I don't have an allegiance to any brand, I like any kit that sounds perfect, for what the gig/session demands. I like a kit that's fun to play, has its own vibe...that, I like. I've had more fun on a vintage MIJ, $100.00 kit, then over that DW set. I'm sure that'll trigger some DW loyalist. But, its the truth.

This has always been something about John Wood that annoys me. Selling the idea that some 1000 year old log found deep in a Romanian swamp will make a difference...silly. He certainly likes to tell a story (that new almond kit? Come on, what's next, a bark mulch kit?).

Like I said before, each person has the right to buy what they want. I just believe a lot have been suckered.
I know this feeling. I fell for it hard with a Brady kit when they were re-introduced after the first batch, with the full length lugs and the Spin Doctors snare enthusiasm. When those stopped coming. Chris Brady got sick for maybe 5-6 years, IDK. And they came back and were scarce and hard to get. And I bought a VERY expensive kit. What pisses me off most is I was in LIDC shopping, they had it in stock and I went out to play it. And walking around I played a Fibes Crystallite Bass drum and was like " OMG, that sounds amazing" But I bought the Brady hype. They never came close to that Fibes. Ever. I remember it like it was this morning.

I've since sold more of the stuff I'm not attached to sonically It doesn't have to sound " amazing" . But I have to feel good about it.

Yeah.I get it

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
I have to admit I have the worlds biggest week spot for re-rings and the inlay on the rings is just crazy. What a beautiful piece of art that is oh so functional. Just stunning. My only thing is that that 20" kick should have been 14 deep. Kudo's to the guy who bought these. I just hope some day we get pictures of it all set up.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good for him! I'm sure it was a dream come true without a doubt. Having a shell bank type of thing like that has always appealed to me.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great kit...no reason to hate at all. Thankfully gotten around the bend to where I can appreciate someone else's good fortune (read: HARD WORK lol) without hating OR jealousy...lol.

Funny thing is I am gearing up to sell off the stuff I have with the most value and looking forward to investing the time into making my "cheap" (inexpensive) stuff sound good.

Rather that than think of my "treasures" being listed on Craigslist by uninformed family members after my demise....lol.

My wife and kids would probably sell that Star kit for $500. Or donate it to the Vienam Vets... "Dad really loved helping out the vets, put it out in the front yard for VVA."

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved the video.
That is one very sweet kit and one extremely blessed day for that guy.
He has his plans for the kit(s) and you KNOW he is dancing the dance of the happy drummer right now. So very cool when a drummer gets his dream kit.
What a day!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
No doubt that Tama makes some top shelf gear! Way out of my range, but I’d certainly consider a Starclassic maple at some point. Some of their metal snares are excellent too...I have the Trackmaster and really enjoy using it.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was quite young, not long before I started working professionally. I was like most young drummers, staring at copies of Modern Drummer, day dreaming of my "dream kit". So, I dropped a stupid amount of money, and ordered it; three kicks, three snares, Ronnie Tutt amount of toms, etc.

I waited 10 months for this kit. I picked the finish, satin hardware, etc. Then I get the call - its in. I rush out to the store, they had all the boxes stacked out front. They were waiting to see this thing, as much as me.

So, I ripped open one of the boxes (8" tom), pull it out, hold it up, and, I felt...nothing. I mean, they looked great, like a drum ad...but clearly I had built them up much much bigger, in my head.

That being said, lets get them home, set them up, and see how they sound, play...feel. I set them up, tweak the tuning to my taste. Then I dive in. Again, I felt...nothing. Did they sound good? Yeah, good, but not great.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I fell for the marketing. I fell for all the hearsay; "BEST drums ever, you have to get a set!", I fell for the idea that I would play better (I mean, inspiration=a better drummer, right?). Reality is, I didn't get a thing from that purchase...except a life lesson - buy with your ears. Microphones don't care about the brand.

I sold the kit six months later, lost money on it (I deserve that). Since then I don't have an allegiance to any brand, I like any kit that sounds perfect, for what the gig/session demands. I like a kit that's fun to play, has its own vibe...that, I like. I've had more fun on a vintage MIJ, $100.00 kit, then over that DW set. I'm sure that'll trigger some DW loyalist. But, its the truth.

This has always been something about John Wood that annoys me. Selling the idea that some 1000 year old log found deep in a Romanian swamp will make a difference...silly. He certainly likes to tell a story (that new almond kit? Come on, what's next, bark mulch?).

Like I said before, each person has the right to buy what they want. I just believe a lot have been suckered.
I ordered a 6 piece . Got it home and felt utterly disappointed. John Good rubs me wrong as well ....

Blisco

Reaction score
I think this is great. I just wish he had more excitement about it. I'd be a giddy schoolgirl.

I once tried this idea (to a certain extent) and had fun with it. This kit started with the short stack and 20 and ballooned from there. I scoured ebay for add-on's and also ended up order 4 FAST toms from my dealer. Seriously, it got ridiculous. It was fun to have but impossible to play so I ended up just using various 5 pieces and finally offloading all of them.

I believe I had 17 drums at one time.

It was fun while it lasted. My wife probably didn't think so. No longer my wife and no more DW's :icon_e_confused:

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that the only real way to stop the game of "this is the big, final thing that'll make me happy" is to just decide to stop and then find ways to reinforce that decision. There'll always be a different, bigger, "better" thing-- after the Star Maples you could presumably do some sort of Sonor SQ2 thing or an over-the-top Craviotto thing or try to assemble the perfect set of vintage Camcos or a DW this or that with exotic wood whatever. Or hey, Star Walnut.

The weird thing in my head (well, among other things) is that I also play guitar and I DON'T have GAS about that. I play a $450 Recording King that to my ears sounds and plays pretty great. I've had it for years now. I can hear the difference between it and an expensive guitar to a degree, but when I hear a good guitar player with it I realize that this is fine. I don't need anything else, you know? So, this tendency toward what the psychologists call "maximizing" isn't an across the board thing for me-- it's instrument specific. But if drums are your thing, there's so much more tied up in our purchases than just practicality.

PaulD

Reaction score
I just ordered a Starclassic B/B leftover from DCP and I'm picking it up Saturday. I'm hoping it goes better than this, but I'll be happy just to play. It also won't end in my divorce so that's a good thing.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Starclassic B/B leftover from DCP and I'm picking it up Saturday. I'm hoping it goes better than this, but I'll be happy just to play. It also won't end in my divorce so that's a good thing.
I owned two B/B sets, and loved them. Great sounding kits, imo.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think this is great. I just wish he had more excitement about it. I'd be a giddy schoolgirl.

I once tried this idea (to a certain extent) and had fun with it. This kit started with the short stack and 20 and ballooned from there. I scoured ebay for add-on's and also ended up order 4 FAST toms from my dealer. Seriously, it got ridiculous. It was fun to have but impossible to play so I ended up just using various 5 pieces and finally offloading all of them.

I believe I had 17 drums at one time.

It was fun while it lasted. My wife probably didn't think so. No longer my wife and no more DW's :icon_e_confused:

You're excited when you order. And after 7 months you're link " Oh wow, ( yawn) they're here"

That's how I was with my Gretsch Broadcasters

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see one big flaw in the entire process involving that video.

How do you get that stuff home safely? He'd better be getting some good cases before the transport. Plus, I hope he still had the U-Haul....

Stunning drums and I'm a big fan of TAMA.

Latest posts