HELP!! Buying Second Hand V-Drum kit – Roland TD-11 K or Alesis DM10 Studio

Allybate

Reaction score
Hi All – hope you can help – new to V-Drums and drumming in general.

I have an option to buy one of two types of second hand V-drum kits, the Roland TD-11 or Alesis DM10 Studio. Not knowing too much about this world I wanted some basic advice. I know both will be more than enough for what I want/need but I think it comes down to overall value for money and quality of sound. The TD-11 is £450 and looks in very good condition and all original. On the other hand, the DM10 is £420 but looks a little tired and has had the Mylar heads changed to Z-ED mesh ones – but these look equally tired and I’m concerned whether the change was for the good. Also, the cymbals on the DM10 look marked and I don’t know if this can be detrimental to their performance but the DM does come with a 120W Amp.

I know these things can get a bit ‘down to personal preference’ but just wanted some guidance. Also, not being a drummer (yet) is there a way for me to test these to make sure they both work fine?

Thanks for any help given

Attachments

electrodrummer

Reaction score
[opinion: for me - neither option - can expand if you want]

Anyways,

Here's my usual checklist:

Few questions:
  1. What have you played and enjoyed?
  2. What features are you interested in?
  3. Where are you?

And things to consider...
  • Hit some things. Buy what YOU like the feel of.
  • Download and read the manuals of anything you're interested in to get a grip on usability and features.
  • Look for expansion flexibility
  • Look for MIDI note layering and switching and zero limits on what note or channel can be used on the kit.
  • Look for multi-zoned pads (pref 3-zone snare as a minimum)
  • Avoid proprietary cable snakes.
  • Avoid cheapo Medeli-badged stuff.
  • Get 2nd user for more for your money.

No - go and test-drive :)

Allybate

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for reply and yes, please expand!!

1. What have you played and enjoyed? - never played before
  2. What features are you interested in? - good beginner package, sound quality as close to accoustic as possible, quality product to last
  3. Where are you? - based in the UK
Cheers

flurbs

Reaction score
Out of the two, just forget the Alesis, forget you even saw it. The module itself has potential but the padset and rack are actually made by a budget edrums manufacturer in China and are complete crap. The 'amp' is of no real advantage because 120W will do nothing for drums and a £1000 kit played through a £100 speaker sounds like a £100 speaker. (Good headphones are where it's at for sound quality playing at home).

The Roland you've pictured is a really safe bet at the price - it's nowhere approaching 'real drums' but nothing at this price range is - I'd grab that, put a good 6 months into getting playing and then re-assess. I doubt you'd lose any more than £50 selling that on in the same condition.

Good luck!

Allybate

Reaction score
Hey all - thank you so much for advice really appreciate it. Just want to get on and 'make some noise' just didnt know which way to turn.
I'm now sticking to Roland and looking at other options within my budget but the TD-11K or TD-1DMK seem most likely options for second hand.
Thanks for speedy replies.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of the 2 roland is the way to go. Their pads and hardware is lightyears beyond most other competitors. Not to say roland is perfect, and I sure cant afford the roland kit that I want, but their hardware can take a beating for a very long time.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I would go for the Roland TD-11.

Both kits are great beginner kits but the Alesis kits tend to be of a lesser quality than the Roland kits. Alesis hasn't really made that many quality kits other than the Alesis Strike, (Which is probably out of your price range [$1200.00])

Roland also tends to have the better sounds for the price you pay.

The Roland TD-11 was the predecessor to the Roland TD-17 in terms of original price point. You are buying a $1495.00 kit versus a $1299.00 Kit.

I think it is probably best to spend the extra 20 pounds to buy the TD-11.

I'd also take into account if the Roland kit comes with mesh pads because as far as I know, cheaper Roland TD-11 kits did not come with mesh pads. The mesh pads are quieter and feel much better to play than rubber.

If you're looking for a second-hand drumset at this price range, go for the TD-11.