Help Identify This Snare Drum!

TutoneMalone

Reaction score
Hi all - new member to the forum here, and just getting back into playing after a long hiatus. My knowledge level is modest, so I’m looking for some help on identifying this old snare drum I have. I bought it used some years ago, and I’m trying to figure out what the hell it is! Lol. It’s a 14x 6.5, has a Tama throw off, but an oval badge that was deliberately scratched off. It kinda looks like an old 80’s Tama Superstar, but the badge style resembles a Slingerland? So either A) was stolen at some point, and they tried to erase badge information, or B) wanted to “create” their own Tama Superstar, by adding die cast hoops and hardware?? I also don’t recognize the lug style. Kinda close to old Tama, but a bit different from the research I‘ve done. Any thoughts? Glad to be a part of the forum, as it seems like a wealth of information on here!

Attachments

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think your research is correct. It is a mix of components - the badge likely belonged to the shell and yes maybe Slingerland. The hoops and throw appear Tama, yet the lugs are unrecognizable to me. The shell has extra holes so a different strainer on it before, so I doubt the shell was Tama.

Biggest question is how does it sound?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First things first... welcome to the boards! Were glad your here and look forward to lots of great post... no pressure or anything mind you!~

As for the lugs, they are off of a CB700 International snare. I used to see those all the time with either round "wrist watch" lug or these.So really just an inexpensive import lug from the 80's. I see this snare has worn a variety of snare butt's as well! Any pics of inside the shell or bearing edge?

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm going to say...Ascend by LP (or CP)....with a tama throw and bhoops. The lugs are pretty generic MIA lugs. LP had a line called Ascend that put out piccalo (?) snares and I think there were deeper options...i got to audition on one and thought the wood was really pretty...like yours....well...a quick google search says wrong lugs but the shell is similar (I guess you could say they all are!).

TutoneMalone

Reaction score
thanks for the warm welcome and the info, fellas! I think you guys are definitely onto something there. A bit of a hodgepodge, but it really sounds pretty good! After being out of the game for so long, I’m trying to get my ear back, along with forgotten terminology, product recollection, etc. I added a few pics of the shell. I’m thinking this might be a 6 ply (near as I can tell), maple shell? It’s nice and round, and other than the extra holes made by its previous owner, in pretty nice shape. I might just turn this into a little fixer upper project. Sand, restain/finish, new hoops, lugs, and heads. I think I’ll have a decent end product, and it will keep me out of trouble for awhile. Lol

TutoneMalone

Reaction score
thanks for the warm welcome and the info, fellas! I think you guys are definitely onto something there. A bit of a hodgepodge, but it really sounds pretty good! After being out of the game for so long, I’m trying to get my ear back, along with forgotten terminology, product recollection, etc. I added a few pics of the shell. I’m thinking this might be a 6 ply (near as I can tell), maple shell? It’s nice and round, and other than the extra holes made by its previous owner, in pretty nice shape. I might just turn this into a little fixer upper project. Sand, restain/finish, new hoops, lugs, and heads. I think I’ll have a decent end product, and it will keep me out of trouble for awhile. Lol

Attachments

tone-def

Reaction score
Interesting! Never heard of Ascend before. Would that be a Worldmax shell? The edges look different from the Purecussion snare I recently bought but it is also a 6 ply maple.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That shell kinda reminds me of my Sonor Force Custom shell...which I also understand was used for a line of Slingerland drums in the early 90's...

Sonor_ForceCustom_Bebop04.jpg
Sonor_ForceCustom_Bebop05.jpg
Sonor_ForceCustom_Bebop03.jpg

Latest posts