Help identifying no name vintage kit

Pingo

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I recently acquired this no name kit and I'm curious if anyone can help identify it. I got it in Denmark where I live and the guy who sold it to me also bought it here. He seemed to think it was circa 1960s. Other than that he didn't know anything and I'm certainly a novice when it comes to this stuff. I'm just enjoying cleaning it up and will get around to replacing the heads and stuff soon.

I can't find any serial numbers/badges or logos of any description anywhere, inside or out, or anywhere where a badge may have been (I've had all the heads off to see inside but have now put the tom heads back on to play with tuning). The inside of the drums were in what seems very good condition, especially the toms. Just a bit musty.

Kick drum is 20, rack tom 12 and floor 16. The rack tom appears to have been able to mount on to the bass drum but it came on a snare stand with no attachment for that.

All the drums came with internal muffling but i removed them as I don't like them and the foam was kind of disintegrating.

The tension rods on the toms are all slotted and the lugs seem to be made of some plastic like material, I think...
The bass drum lugs are also this plastic like material apart from 3 fancier looking ones which appear to be metal (one on top and two underneath by each leg). The claws are metal.
I assume the hoops are original but not sure.

Here are some pictures to help. The inside kick drum ones are from the batter side. Any info much appreciated!

Attachments

ToBBa

Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means, but that one looks quite German to me with the slotted rods and all.
Take a tripp to drumarchive.com and check out the catalogs for deri, rimmel and tacton brands.

Pingo

Reaction score
Yes, the Rimmel catalogue definitely bares the strongest resemblance and has a couple of kits with the same measurements (just can't quite zoom in enough for fine details). They even have a finish option which appears to be very close to mine. Good detective work :D
I'm assuming they were a fairly budget brand back in the day? Any ideas how the quality rated against other brands? Were they a sort of low end deal?

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
There's not a lot of information - I've heard a rumor about the wood being from the same source as Sonor's but no idea if that's true. Anyway, if they sound good and didn't cost a fortune, you should be good. If you need replacement parts, then this store could have some (they don't list every single piece on their website, so send them an e-mail): https://stdrums.com/en

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
If it sounds good why should you care about quality or how it ranks against other brands of the time?
I have a no name acoustic beaten to death that sounds better than Martin OOO-18 so why worry about that!
My guess is german made. What’s the diameter of the slotted tuning rods?

Pingo

Reaction score
There's not a lot of information - I've heard a rumor about the wood being from the same source as Sonor's but no idea if that's true. Anyway, if they sound good and didn't cost a fortune, you should be good. If you need replacement parts, then this store could have some (they don't list every single piece on their website, so send them an e-mail): https://stdrums.com/en
That'a really cool to know! Thank you very much :) And yeah, they were definitely reasonably priced and in pretty good shape so looking forward to some new heads and some good tuning and seeing what they can do.

Pingo

Reaction score
If it sounds good why should you care about quality or how it ranks against other brands of the time?
I have a no name acoustic beaten to death that sounds better than Martin OOO-18 so why worry about that!
My guess is german made. What’s the diameter of the slotted tuning rods?
absolutely true :) Just a bit curious is all :) Cool, yes, it seems Germany is getting the popular vote on this one and it has some Rimmel vibes for sure. Seems to be 4/5mm at the bottom of the rod and 9/10mm at the top where the slot is

ToBBa

Reaction score
I'm assuming they were a fairly budget brand back in the day? Any ideas how the quality rated against other brands? Were they a sort of low end deal?

Even if they didn't command the same price as sonor or the top 4 American brands that dosn't mean they are bad.
To my experience German craftmannship from that time is generally very good, not only for drums but in general all 60's-70's made in West-germany products are very solid.

For instance, i would have choosen your kit over any MIJ kit from the same age, every day of the week.

Juging from the grain and color of the wood, The shells look like beech, at least the inner ply.

Pingo

Reaction score
Even if they didn't command the same price as sonor or the top 4 American brands that dosn't mean they are bad.
To my experience German craftmannship from that time is generally very good, not only for drums but in general all 60's-70's made in West-germany products are very solid.

For instance, i would have choosen your kit over any MIJ kit from the same age, every day of the week.

Juging from the grain and color of the wood, The shells look like beech, at least the inner ply.
Thank you so much for the information, it's fascinating and warmly received :) I bought the kit because it was very unique compared to what else was on offer and reasonably priced and had a nice vibe so all this information is a fun bonus for me. Thanks!

Pingo

Reaction score
Alot of the details certainly bare a strong resemblance!

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I second Tromsa. The screws on the floor tom brackets are the telltale, I would say.