header.nohb.html

Help Identifying Vintage Mystery Kit

braymond21

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some help identifying a kit I got recently, although I have a feeling it wasn't sold as a kit originally. Here's the info I do know:

Snare:
14x7.5
Slingerland lugs
Finish is smooth but seems to be bubbling up in some places, maybe a wrap? I'm not sure if they make wraps that feel like wood, so I initially thought it was just lacquered.

Rack tom:
12x10
Ludwig lugs
Raw wood. Rough to the touch so no lacquering or wrap on this one.

Floor tom:
15x14 (seemed like an odd size to me)
Ludwig and WFL lugs
No mounts for legs but some holes are present, not in a configuration that I've seen before though

Bass Drum:
26x14.5 (a big boy!)
Ludwig Lugs
Ludwig badge (I haven't looked into it much yet)

Any information would be really appreciated!

I've included some photos for reference but here's a link to more photos

PXL_20220627_065544491.jpg
PXL_20220627_065558371.jpg

PXL_20220627_065705064.jpg
PXL_20220627_201521546.jpg
PXL_20220627_204002117.MP.jpg

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
You have what appears to be a mix of old Slingerland and Ludwig school orchestra and/or marching drums, perhaps made sometime between the mid-1930's to maybe the mid-1960's. It looks like they were stripped and refinished with what appears to be polyurethane. The snare drum doesn't appear to have any extra holes so the shell and throw (Slingerland three-point strainer) could be original, but the hoops are from another drum, as evidenced by the hand-cut snare gate. I'm unsure whether the butt plate is original (but it does look like a Slingerland part). Remo Sound Master heads were a budget line that was made from the 1960's to perhaps the late 1970's which means that what you have was likely put together 40-50 years ago. I've never owned any drums where both heads are tensioned at the same time as these are, so I'm unsure whether they're difficult to tune, but they definitely have some mojo.

braymond21

Reaction score
You have what appears to be a mix of old Slingerland and Ludwig school orchestra and/or marching drums, perhaps made sometime between the mid-1930's to maybe the mid-1960's. It looks like they were stripped and refinished with what appears to be polyurethane. The snare drum doesn't appear to have any extra holes so the shell and throw (Slingerland three-point strainer) could be original, but the hoops are from another drum, as evidenced by the hand-cut snare gate. I'm unsure whether the butt plate is original (but it does look like a Slingerland part). Remo Sound Master heads were a budget line that was made from the 1960's to perhaps the late 1970's which means that what you have was likely put together 40-50 years ago. I've never owned any drums where both heads are tensioned at the same time as these are, so I'm unsure whether they're difficult to tune, but they definitely have some mojo.

I figured it'd be something like that. Thanks for the info! I just really enjoy vintage instruments so I have a feeling this will be more of a conversation or decoration piece than a daily player.