Help! IDK how to play jazz

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait "Smoke On The Water" swing-trio style..

"Well we all came out to Montreax on.....the Lake Geneva shore line...
to make records with a ...(brrump).. Mo' bile
We didn't have much time...da doom doom doom doom doom...

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score

LOL

If we're ever trading 4s, I'm playing wipeout!

And I'll suggest a modern jazz trio arrangement of the vintage DEEP PURPLE. #crowdpleaser!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've got 15min this video has a lot of simple ideas that will help. Conceptual not requiring chops practice.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just use your ears and play musically. Give the music what it needs - and much of the time, that's not a lot. Feel trumps all.

Longer term, how do you learn another language? How do babies learn languages? Immersion. No one gave the infant Lenin a Russian 1 text and said "learn this, kid." As you become familiar with tunes commonly played in it, you'll learn some stylistic, idiomatically correct approaches. As you hear these, as yourself why so and so did what they did. This, BTW, applies to any idiom, but especially this one, because here it's generally not a matter of playing what whoever did on a given record. That's expected in a cover band context, but here it's expected that you'll answer the questions the music asks in your own way.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have a list of the tunes, listen to versions of those tunes that have vocals because it will help you to learn the melodies. Then sing them to yourself while you play. And as has been said, don’t play BD on 1, and rarely play it. Focus mostly on the ride with some light comping on snare.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

jb111

Reaction score
Good feedback here, and it sounds like you have a good attitude about the whole thing. I'd seriously listen to minimal backbeat stuff for the next three weeks. Yes, a nice fluffy beater, feather the 1/4 notes when applicable, swing the ride (triplet or quarters), minimal left hand, 2/4 hats...you should be able to pull it. Also, don't be afraid to play a little broken time that doesn't require so much independence if it works for the tune. Have fun.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
You guys are cracking me up here.

The possibility of playing some bossa nova was mentioned, too...

Reactions: JDA

varatrodder

Reaction score
I don't play jazz, but I do play a lot of traditional country (stay with me...). We have a similar genre in that we play a lot of standards - Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, George Jones, Ernest Tubb, etc. I've been thrown into shows were there is literally no set list, and the singer (or whoever) just calls out a song and then counts it in. The trick is to understand that the audience isn't there to listen to you, especially at a wedding gig; or in my case a bar gig. The listeners are there to have fun, and if you play something close to what they are conditioned to hear in a particular genre, you will do fine.

If you have a set list, listen to the songs as much as you can, and hopefully an arrangement as close to what you will be playing as possible. Find that one part of each song that really speaks to you, and nail it. That little punch of confidence and emotion will make the song yours. Then it's just a matter of nailing the feel. Make it swing. Quarter notes on the ride...some basic swing spang-a-lang...nail a few of the pickups and hits...you're golden.

IVER

Reaction score
First, get the playlist. Second, listen to those tunes over and over again from now until then. Third, if you can play piano and have access, then of course learn them on piano. If no piano/piano chops, then sing/hum them. Sing/hum them over and over again (regardless if you're in tune). Do this. If you do this, then lastly, during the gig, forget about everything, relax, and sing the tunes in your head while the players are playing them. You'll be golden. Will most likely catch the hits and outline the formats. That's the secret. It's as simple as that.

Forget about trying to learn Blakey or Philly. That'll take years and it's not the objective here (but do learn them). Do the above and you'll catch the hits and outline the formats. Oh, and play quietly. There's nothing worse than a loud-ass drummer.
I always hummed the song so during improvised solos on complex songs I knew exactly where we were in the form. If I play with musicians who get lost I will accent the chord changes to help them get back on track.
Just don't hum too loud!