HELP! Is my neck roasted? (Fender guitar neck, that is)

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always hang out here, so I figured I would give it a whirl, even tho this ain't a drum! I bought this nice 60's Vintera Modified Strat guitar a while ago. Fender is doing the ROASTED thing on a lot of their necks (baking them in a controlled oven) to give them more "snap" or "crackle" or whatever. It sure looks "roasted" but I just ain't sure. Any Fender guitar guys here?

vintera (14).jpg
vintera (1).jpg
vintera (2).jpg
vintera (7).jpg
vintera (8).jpg

Reaction score
It looks torrefied ("roasted") to me.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Neck is fine... it is the "thing" these days to have a "roasted" neck (baked in an oven to give it better stiffness, sustain etc... this also gives it a much more BROWN color) and I want to know if mine had the roasted thing done to it, as this might make it a bit more valuable.

I am pretty sure Fender only offers the roasted Vintera neck as an after-market ad-on and never sold the Vintera model with the roasted neck installed, but I am not sure.

from Fender:

"Roasted until it reaches optimal dryness, this maple neck is more resistant to humidity shifts and temperature changes than non-roasted necks"

Reaction score
Put your serial number into Fender's search function:

No mention of a roasted neck.

Upon further research, it seems all the aftermarket roasted Fender necks are 1 piece Maple or 2 piece Maple with Maple capped fretboards (no Pau Ferro/Rosewood/etc.). However, I believe some exist, but they've got a plastic truss rod access plug in the headstock, which yours doesn't (plastic plugs indicate low end Fender/Squier, I think?).

If you're willing to take the neck off, there will be a mark on the heel that says "Fender Genuine Parts", if indeed it is an aftermarket Fender roasted neck. However, this goes against what I said earlier than Fender roasted necks were only available in 1 piece Maple or 2 piece Maple with a Maple capped fretboard. I could be wrong, since I haven't kept up with Fender for years.

The neck might just have a very dark tinted clear coat, but it's counter to the photos on Fender's specification sheet, which don't look anywhere near as dark. Could be refinished? If the headstock face gloss, or satin?

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Put your serial number into Fender's search function:

No mention of a roasted neck.

Upon further research, it seems all the aftermarket roasted Fender necks are 1 piece Maple or 2 piece Maple with Maple capped fretboards (no Pau Ferro/Rosewood/etc.). However, I believe some exist, but they've got a plastic truss rod access plug in the headstock, which yours doesn't (plastic plugs indicate low end Fender/Squier, I think?).

If you're willing to take the neck off, there will be a mark on the heel that says "Fender Genuine Parts", if indeed it is an aftermarket Fender roasted neck. However, this goes against what I said earlier than Fender roasted necks were only available in 1 piece Maple or 2 piece Maple with a Maple capped fretboard. I could be wrong, since I haven't kept up with Fender for years.

The neck might just have a very dark tinted clear coat, but it's counter to the photos on Fender's specification sheet, which don't look anywhere near as dark. Could be refinished? If the headstock face gloss, or satin?

Thanks, great info... guitar is nearly new and was never hardly played so I doubt if the neck was refinished. Nice gloss finish on headstock. I betcha Fender just added too much pigment to the tint on this neck, or the particular batch of pigment was more brown than usual. Thanks again!

twangbang

Reaction score
Most of the roasted necks I've seen are darker than this one appears in the photographs. With these Vinteras, they are specifically trying to make the guitar look older. I suspect that 'aging' thing is what's going on here.

However, I've seen some Mexican Standard Strats and Teles where the neck simply came out darker than normal. In fact, I had one like that several years back. It was an early Mexican Strat from the 90s.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree that this isn’t a roasted neck. Fender can occasionally get heavy-handed with the dye and either be too yellow or brown. Cool guitar, BTW.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have multiple Strats including a US, a few Mexican, and imports. I have maple necks that are 30 years old and much lighter than this one. I think something definitely happened to this one. It may just be dye and/or roasting. But if that's naturally aged, it looks fantastic.

If you search for Mexican strats with Maple necks, you will see much lighter necks. I also found this link:

DD

Reaction score
I’ve been working on a Tele build and looking at buying just the ‘50’s and ‘60’s Vintera series necks from Fender. At the moment all the standalone Vintera necks from Fender are roasted so I have a strong suspicion that yours is as well. Color sure looks like it to me.

Last edited: