HELP! Looking for advice on a sound...

Demonslayer

Reaction score
Fellow DF'ers,

I'm currently working on a project with a friend. What it is, is kinda hard to explain, since it started with a promise of being some kind of blues-rock outfit, and then it began taking a more post-grunge kind of vibe as the writing progressed.

I've uploaded a crude recording of one of the drafts from one of our rehearsals for reference. It is what it is - if we can avoid the "name-the-genre" game I will be happy... Also, it's the first time we got together and also the first time we rehearsed that tune, so some slack is appreciated.

I'm looking to explain what kind of sound I'm after to the studio engineer, but I have not yet found something that I can say it's 100% there. I'm looking for something natural but with some muscle. Not too much reverb or compression, but strong enough to hold its own on a rock recording.

Your reference could be rock, country, blues, whatever. As long as it sounds good with an overdriven guitar, I'm as open to suggestion as they come.

Attachments

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Superunknown album by Sound Garden...that sound would work great with what you've got going on there:

&feature=kp

Last edited by a moderator:

mikey_drum

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Soundgarden suggestion. I think you could also go in the direction of QOTSA or even more in the direction of bands like Kyuss, or Monster Magnet. Old Sabbath sounding drums would be pretty rocking as well.

Demonslayer

Reaction score
mikey_drum said:
You can't go wrong with the Soundgarden suggestion. I think you could also go in the direction of QOTSA or even more in the direction of bands like Kyuss, or Monster Magnet. Old Sabbath sounding drums would be pretty rocking as well.
"Black Hole Sun" is probably my second-favorite song out of the whole "Seattle Grunge" era/movement. The sound on that album was (IMHO) one of the best "modernizations" of the "Bonzo" sound I've ever heard. Especially that snare drum: that Keplinger was no joke...

It's funny, since this was my original inclination all along. Only thing is that 70s Ludwigs are hard to find in these parts, especially that 26" BD (although I'm not so sure I want the BD sound to be THAT massive...). I'm thinking I will have to make do with a 22". Also, I'm open to suggestions on tuning/head selection for the kit. The SD I think is covered, since I have recently amassed an assortment of Ludwigs that I think are quite apt for the job.

It's funny: out of the four grunge bands you mention, three of them cover Sabbath's "Into The Void". It's intriguing how things seem to go full-circle after some time...

Thanks!

mikey_drum

Reaction score
Yeah, lots of heavier rock, stoner rock, post grunge as well as some of the newer "metal" sun-genres totally go for the 70's Sabbath sound and sensibilities.

Depending on the room you track drums in, messing around with some room mics (along with close mics) would allow you get some natural room sound and overall kit image with the kit.