Help! Market check. 1970 Ludwig 3 ply players kit

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
Thinking I might need to move this kit although I hate to. If I do part with it depends on how much I can actually get for it. It is a player's kit since there are some additional holes on the bass drum the seam is lifting on the floor tom a little bit and there are some scuffs here and there in the Finish but overall it's a great-looking kit everything is in round and everything sounds great. All the drums are dated from the same day and month in 1970. The size are 20 13 16. Original Ludwig head and comes with a post for the tom. Thoughts?

FullSizeR(1).jpg

20191123_223518.jpg

20191229_112731.jpg

IMG_9919.jpg

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$1500? The kick drum is a big draw for sure. Pretty finish.
I think $1,500 is a little high with the added center mount. The condition looks pretty dang good besides that, though. I think getting $1,200 would be great, especially if it was a local sale with no shipping.

Leffler

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Am I a total downer if i say it's more like 800? In my experience, that would be closer to what I would expect.
20/16/13 is a little unusual (you'd expect a 22), extra holes and scuffs means collectors are out, and that wrap has some fans, but not as many as the original blue oyster.

If you held out for the perfect buyer, you might get more, but you might wait years, too.

The Whale

Reaction score
Am I a total downer if i say it's more like 800? In my experience, that would be closer to what I would expect.
20/16/13 is a little unusual (you'd expect a 22), extra holes and scuffs means collectors are out, and that wrap has some fans, but not as many as the original blue oyster.

If you held out for the perfect buyer, you might get more, but you might wait years, too.
I was kind of thinking 800 is my minimum. I'd have to be able to put that in my pocket after paying fees and shipping. So I think my thinking was more in line with what you were saying but multiple people told me I should be able to get more.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are SO MANY Ludwig kits of this era out there. As was stated, the market looking for this wrap is limited. Given, the mod, I would be quite happy with a $900 sale. Good luck!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
. . . So I think my thinking was more in line with what you were saying but multiple people told me I should be able to get more.
Well, that's one of the things that's a bit aggravating about these forums, isn't it? A lot of folks are still living in the drum market of a decade ago when everything that could be tagged with the "vintage" label had hit top market value, with prices that we'd never seen before.

But, that decade is gone. Like everything else that takes on the "collector" mantle, once the prices rise enough to justify it, people start dragging drums out of the closets and attics where they've been stored for many years because somebody told them "Wow! Those things are worth a lot of money!" Suddenly, the market is flooded with "collectible" drums. The manufacturers have been making thousands of drums and kits for many, many years, and those kits didn't simply vanish into thin air. They are still with us, stored away somewhere while owners wait for prices to rise enough to be worth their trouble. Well, prices rose, and we can now find the kits we want - in abundance.

Add to that the proliferation of new drum manufacturers, along with the rebirth and revitalization of older brands, and we end up with a highly-glutted drum market. And prices have plunged accordingly and returned to essentially what they were before the boom. That's the new reality.

With that said, I more closely agree with Lefler's valuation of $800 - and only because it includes a snare drum.

And it's discouraging, I know, because that is a beautiful set of drums. I love the color. And I'm one of those buyers who have no argument with a couple of extra holes, or the "wrong" tom holder, or a lifting seam. I don't care at all. That stuff means nothing to me. So if I was buying, I'd see your kit priced at $800 and that would definitely stir my interest. I think if you price it in this neighborhood and shoot for buyers like me, you will make this sale.

GeeDeeEmm

(Somewhere in this story I should have relayed the fact that the number of people who idolize "classic" drum kits is a very small part of the drum-buying public. And the majority of us are old and getting older - and eventually dying. So the pool of buyers of classic drums is shrinking, and that's going to lower prices even more. Unless somebody can figure out a way to dramatically increase the number of people who are interested in vintage drum sets . . . well, let's just say that the future of this market is not bright over the long haul.)

The Whale

Reaction score
Appreciate your input. But if I sell it would just be the three drums mentioned. 20 16 13. I'll probably put them on the Facebook marketplace in the next couple of days for $800 + Shipping.

Thanks gang.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the cymbals I have listed on the forum sell, I'll be seeing if this is available :)

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another beautiful kit in a clogged market. You would get more a few years ago, but that train has left. I,ve tried to move gear many times in the last few years and have ended up keeping it or giving it away..litarally. If you can get anywhere near 800 net, I,d jump on it. Where I am that would be a 5-600 dollar kit, but don't be insulted, because I wasn't, but that's the way it is now....One guy made me think when I got upset, and he said "how much would you pay for it"?

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take less than a1000. I don't care if it's not that desirable of a wrap because actually it is but that's just my opinion. Unless you're desperate to sell float them out there and see if you get any bites

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ludwig Catalog 1971 Pro Beat set display; Clive Bunker Benefit album cover and some double bass stage use; are that color's claims to fame. I kinda like it. It's strong.

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Catalog 1971 Pro Beat set display; Clive Bunker Benefit album cover and some double bass stage use; are that color's claims to fame. I kinda like it. It's strong.
Ok so I will readily admit that have an affinity to this wrap because I own 71 Hollywood configuration ( 22 14 13 16 6.4 supra ) in this wrap. Funny you should mention Clive Bumker's kit. I purchased my kit from Manny's Music, 48th st NYC. When I went in to the store, I knew what I wanted but was a bit indifferent about the wrap. It just so happened that a copy of Jethro Tull's Benefit album was laying on drum counter for some reason and when it came time to choose a wrap, I pointed to the cover and said "Can I have them in that color?" :)

The Whale

Reaction score
Yeah I just wen't down to take some pictures of the seam on the 16 and of some of the scuffs.... Played them for a few minutes and now I'm not sure I want to part with them! lol

I just really want more cymbals and I don't have the money to get them. Was thinking of moving this and getting a cheap bop kit and a few crashes and maybe an fx cymbal. Uhg... I just don't know! lol
20200120_125130.jpg

Last edited:

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Loose seams in FTT at that tie was typical. My FTT also has seam lift but it's an easy fix. Personally I would keep them and love them

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
One of my main issues with having nice kits that are worth some money is knowing I could easily turn them into other stuff. Currently I’m playing a 70’s Ludwig 14”/16”/18”/26” (with 13” I’m not using) in Black Cortex, every drum has SOME kind of big deduct, so not worth selling them. If I stumbled on something like a dead-mint Green Sparkle kit same sizes, virgin or with a rail, I couldn’t afford to not sell. In some ways, I like having kits with issues.

This actually give an idea to ask management here...

Latest posts