Help me choose a new snare drum

jb78

Reaction score
I've been exclusively playing the same snare for the last > 15 years: an awesome 7 x 14 Bison. I love it but I'm ready to add something new to the mix. Ideally, I want something very warm sounding, with sensitivity and an ability to have a pleasing throaty "rattle" to it (not sure how best to describe that as normally snare rattle is a negative thing ... perhaps some of you can come up with a better description). In my head, I'm picturing a 5-6" deep mahogany drum but I want to be open minded. Should I also be thinking about something like a Supra and/or Black Beauty? Snare experts, thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your description resembles my 8x14 Ludwig Copperphonic pretty well. Huge tuning range and no un-pleasing overtones, woody yet can have a nice crack.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I am of course a biased Ludwig guy but while I love black beauties and supras, I think the new jazzfests are just killing it. The look and sound fantastic. If you are only going to have two snares I think the jazzfest would cover a lot of styles personally. I'm sure you will get a million responses and all I can say is that hopefully you have a good store near you that you can try a few different models and brands out.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I apologize for not know more about the Bison snare you currently have, but when I hear someone requesting a new snare that is "warm" and "sensitive," I immediately think of a steambent solid shell drum. I'm not sure if "throaty rattle" is covered by today's solid shell drums but I've been highly impressed by the tuning range and sensitivity I get from my 6.5x14 Craviotto snare.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
What material is your Bison snare made out of? I've never heard of that brand.

Also, any sound file of it or what you are desiring - maybe a Youtube sample?

Also, what type of music do you play? And what is your budget?

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You owe it to yourself to check out Sugar Percussion. Jefferson is an amazing builder and his drums are really fantastic.

jb78

Reaction score
Thanks to all so far. To answer a few questions:

Bison is an, I think now defunct, wonderful small custom drum company out of the Chicago burbs. They were active in the 90s-00s. My 7x14 is maple.

Here are a few youtube clips with snare sounds (or at least snare capabilities) in the ballpark of what I'm after:

Rick

Reaction score
Check out the Tama Starphonic Bubinga snare. It's my favorite and I think it'll do what you described you want. With the right heads, tuning, etc. I think you can easily get the sound in either of those videos.

Also, Tama's Starphonic line has a couple of really cool features with the "freedom lug and claw hook" and detachable butt plate for the snares. Makes changing heads so much quicker and easier. Also makes tuning the snare side head a lot easier too when you want to tweak it, as you can easily get those snares out of the way without changing your snare tension adjustment.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
that sounds like an 8 x 15 vintage wood or brass... yikes... runs..
is that record skipping??

something like..

those vids are an Old sound..
Something sitting in a Pawn Shop down at the Bowery.. ; )
65$ perfect.

surprised
you can't get the Bison to do that;
prolly (too thick) and need a thin deep metal (brass) vintage shell...

Maybe one of those low price Ludwig- what are they called? there's a 5 x 15 and an 8 X 14...

Last edited:

cplueard

Reaction score

If you've got the room for a 15" between your legs this'll do it. Mahogany, re-rings, 15" so you can tune a bit tighter while maintaining a lower tone. I think this drum would absolutely nail that sound.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sound is all about how your strike the drum. He's playing very softly in the second clip. I think you can get a Supra to sound like that pretty easily and a 2 piece ludwig NOB will crush that tone as well.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
that's a deeper snare loosened; guess one could say an supra 5 tensioned low; maybe.. But soon as you'd hit that hard- it's reveal it's shallow ness maybe. Thats a Loose goose in those jeff Parker type vids I think and deeper shell I think

Last edited:

Latest posts