Help me choose a new snare drum

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's all very subjective. I like deep block shells of 12" diameter like my Brady Sheoak block snare. Some like metal snares. Some like piccolo snares. Folks tune even identical snares differently with different heads and I have yet to hear a written description of any particular sound characteristic that matches what one hears when trying one out at your desired tuning.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those Bisons from what I remember, from playing one at a show. are higher pitched upscale hi-end heavy hardware drums. I have a lot of steam bents, 100+ snare drums.
Beat me up, but I would suggest a low cost 6 lug Ludwig or WFL thin shelled late 50s / early 60s Pioneer snare drum for a sonic revelation !!
I loan out my 59 Pioneer for friends doing recordings, and feedback has been positive, go figure !!

jb78

Reaction score
Those Bisons from what I remember, from playing one at a show. are higher pitched upscale hi-end heavy hardware drums. I have a lot of steam bents, 100+ snare drums.
Beat me up, but I would suggest a low cost 6 lug Ludwig or WFL thin shelled late 50s / early 60s Pioneer snare drum for a sonic revelation !!
I loan out my 59 Pioneer for friends doing recordings, and feedback has been positive, go figure !!
I like this idea!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I've been exclusively playing the same snare for the last > 15 years: an awesome 7 x 14 Bison. I love it but I'm ready to add something new to the mix. Ideally, I want something very warm sounding, with sensitivity and an ability to have a pleasing throaty "rattle" to it (not sure how best to describe that as normally snare rattle is a negative thing ... perhaps some of you can come up with a better description). In my head, I'm picturing a 5-6" deep mahogany drum but I want to be open minded. Should I also be thinking about something like a Supra and/or Black Beauty? Snare experts, thoughts? Thank you in advance.
I was gonna say, LM402 might be the ticket.
"Warm" could also be a stainless drum.....really!
I remember playing on one of Dunnett's Stainless kits. The biggest impression I was left with was how incredibly warm it was.
Maybe a matching 14x7 or 14x8 Dunnett Stainless is something to consider, as well.

Elvis

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
I used an Omar Hakim signature snare as my main snare for many years. African Mahogany, 5x13, can be tuned way up for a great piccolo sound or it can go surprisingly low for it's size and honestly shines everywhere in between. Plus it's very easy on the eyes if that matters! Always got compliments on its sound. I've always felt it was one of Pearl's best and most underrated snares in their lineup.

Latest posts