Help me choose a trash crash or China

TomPotti

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own a set of Paiste 2002 and Signature cymbals, complete with crashes, splashes, and rides.

What I don't have is a cool effects cymbal, specifically a China or trash crash. Been listening to a bunch of sound files and videos, and the one that stands out the most is the Sabian HHX Ozone 18".

Wanted to see if there were any other recommendations I should check out. I mainly play rock, classic, alternative, and prog.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try and play the Ozone 1st. I had a 16 (w/rivits) and it didn't cut thru the other cymbals let alone the band. Maybe an 18 would do better because of its greater mass.

TomPotti

Reaction score
Yes, I'm looking for a "faster" type sound.

Listened to the crash of Doom already, not sure if it's for me. But I'll check it out again just to be sure

Another option is the 21 inch AA Holy China.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Paiste PST-X series are great sounding effects cymbals. I have them in 10-18" and they sound great with my Sigs, 602, and Masters cymbals. Also, you can get a few of them for the price of the HHX.

Several years ago I had the 20" HHX Ozone. It was okay, but for Sabian I prefer the HHX China, Evo China, and AA Holy China.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Or if you just want to get it over with.. cheaply. A Wuhan.

That's the key:"whatever you find. Cheap. est." Could be an anything; unless

TomPotti

Reaction score
I looked into the 2002 novo chinas, signature thin chinas, and signature heavy China. They are good but not exactly what I have in my head. They would obviously match my other cymbals, but I'm trying to find the "right" sound.

I'm looking for something that is more staccato and dry, rather than sustained and washy.

Frankly, based on my research thus far, i may be more of a trash crash kind of guy. But I did like the Sabian holy China.

The PST X series also looks interesting. Listened to a few clips. They sound good but maybe a little metallic. Going to listen to more today. Anyone know of any recordings with these cymbals?

Wish there was an easy way to hear these in person. Keep the recommendations coming!

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Staccato and dry, you say. That may be too obvious, but have you tried stacking cymbals you already have? A splash underneath a crash or on top of it (it does make a difference!) or the like?

OTOH, Zildjian makes the Trashformers which are very affordable, sound great on their own and are perfect for stacking.

TomPotti

Reaction score
Yeah I checked out a few stacks as well....but I don't have any old cymbals to do that with.

I keep going back and forth between various Chinas and trash crashes...I think I'm just going to go to a guitar center soon and see if I can try something in person.

rock roll

Reaction score
Or if you just want to get it over with.. cheaply. A Wuhan.

That's the key:"whatever you find. Cheap. est." Could be an anything; unless
There is another cheap alternative. I've bought lots of zyn/English cymbals over the years and some sound good but most sound trashy.
I was disappointed with most of them at first until I realized they sounded good on my percussion set up.
Just FYI
But for rock alt they may not stand up to it.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I looked into the 2002 novo chinas, signature thin chinas, and signature heavy China. They are good but not exactly what I have in my head. They would obviously match my other cymbals, but I'm trying to find the "right" sound.

I'm looking for something that is more staccato and dry, rather than sustained and washy.

Frankly, based on my research thus far, i may be more of a trash crash kind of guy. But I did like the Sabian holy China.

The PST X series also looks interesting. Listened to a few clips. They sound good but maybe a little metallic. Going to listen to more today. Anyone know of any recordings with these cymbals?

Wish there was an easy way to hear these in person. Keep the recommendations coming!
I play the 18" Signature Heavy China and it kills. You can't really appreciate it until you're playing live with a loud band. I purchased the cymbal from my buddy who gigged with a mix of 2002s and a Sigs. The China was the standout cymbal of the bunch.

TomPotti

Reaction score
Okay good to know. I'll try to test these out in person

Latest posts