Help me choose a trash crash or China

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
Best china I've ever played was one I had to let go of years ago. It was a 90's era 18" Sabian HH thin china. Quick, punchy, dark, and easy to ride without getting away from you. Out front both with or without a mic it really stood out (in a good way!). They pop up from time to time on the used market

TomPotti

Reaction score
As an update, I'm looking to get a true China now...narrowed my choices to the Paiste Novo 2002 20'' and Sabian AA 19" Holy China.

Might still pick up a Sabian HHX Evo Ozone 18 for fun...

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 19" AA Holy China Brilliant - Very impressed by this cymbal. Its nice and thin with a very fast attack & pleasing overtones.

TomPotti

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing a 19" Sabian Holy China, 20" Paiste Novo china, and 18" PST X 18" Thin Swiss crash.

I guess GAS got me again!

jmato

Reaction score
Please let us know your impressions of each. I have a Sabian Chad Smith Holy China which I love, but I have my eyes on both those Paistes.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sabian 18" HHXtreme crash is 75% crash and 25% China imo. Paper thin weighting at under 1200 gm and an excellent dry, dark, slightly trashy, fast crash. It has a general sound similar to a 50's A or K Zildjian medium thin to thin crash only what that touch of china tossed in. I find them interesting.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Best china I've ever played was one I had to let go of years ago. It was a 90's era 18" Sabian HH thin china. Quick, punchy, dark, and easy to ride without getting away from you. Out front both with or without a mic it really stood out (in a good way!). They pop up from time to time on the used market
I second this, except for the 20” HH model. This size is awesome, because you can ride it or crash it. The nearest Zildjian would perhaps be the oriental trash version. I also like the EFX from Zildjian. And of course, the 22” Swish knocker.

TomPotti

Reaction score
Picked up the 18'' Sabian Ozone as well...couldn't pass up the deal.

I'm going to play each one with my other cymbals and see how they mesh. I'll get back here in a while with my impressions!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Interested to hear your impressions. I'm thinking of a new China as well, but I'm leaning toward a Zildjian Oriental Trash or a Sabian Holy China.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 19” K Hybrid China. I am very happy with it. It has the longest decay of all my cymbals.

sillypilot

Reaction score
The Sabian Paragon 19” China was great for me. I was looking for the sound you hear on The Cure’s Just Like Heaven and the Paragon just nails it. The record was recorded with a Zildjian China Boy High, but all the China Boys I tried sounded terrible to my ears (all subjective). The are two versions of the Paragon, I didn’t like the large one, but the 19 is great.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Sabian Paragon 19” China was great for me. I was looking for the sound you hear on The Cure’s Just Like Heaven and the Paragon just nails it. The record was recorded with a Zildjian China Boy High, but all the China Boys I tried sounded terrible to my ears (all subjective). The are two versions of the Paragon, I didn’t like the large one, but the 19 is great.
Weren't those based off of Wuhan chinas? I thought I remember reading a while back that Neil loved those and wouldn't play Zildjian ones, even if he was endorsed.

sillypilot

Reaction score
Weren't those based off of Wuhan chinas? I thought I remember reading a while back that Neil loved those and wouldn't play Zildjian ones, even if he was endorsed.
I heard the same, not sure if it is true or not...but thanks to him I have a great sounding china

TomPotti

Reaction score
Wow, very interesting you say this. My cover band actually plays Just Like Heaven, and I was wondering what that crash was.

I decided on the holy china instead of the paragon, but the paragon would have been a great choice too

tillerva

Reaction score
I heard the same, not sure if it is true or not...but thanks to him I have a great sounding china
He played the Wuhan first then the Zildjian Oriental when it came out, then the Paragons if I remember right.

tillerva

Reaction score
Wow, very interesting you say this. My cover band actually plays Just Like Heaven, and I was wondering what that crash was.

I decided on the holy china instead of the paragon, but the paragon would have been a great choice too
The Holey China is loud as heck right?