Help me date this shell:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently scored a project shell that I thought was from 1919, as per the seller's info.
It's single tension, hand painted and in great shape. In round and nice smooth edges. I think it was originally white, but someone did a gold/black pattern at some point. Looks odd to me. Going to refinish and add modern hardware.
Before I remove clues I wanted to run them by you guys to see what I can learn about this shell's origin.
It's 12x24 and has that written a few times in pencil on the interior. As well as an ink stamp from a music shop where it was once repaired or painted or maintained.
There is a date written in pencil next the seam on the interior, but l don't know if that's from the factory or the repair shop. It says "2 Heads" and "7/13/59"
There is also a serial number stamped into the interior of the shell where no ink was used, it's just an impression. It says "X1421" and "00" and "0"
No badge or exterior markings. Just a big vent hole with a brass grommet and 3 places for marching hardware to attach.

It had what looked like Leedy claw hooks and thumb tension bolts.
Can't tell how many plies it's made up of, either.
Any ideas as to what it is?
Thanks guys!

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like no reinforcement rings? How many ply?
I honestly can't tell, haha. Looks like one ply. The inside looks like mahogany but the when I look at it from the bearing edge it looks like it's mainly comprised of a light wood like maple.
If it has a super thin inner ply of mahog, it's not even perceptible by looking at it from the bearing edge.
I'll snap some more pictures tonight.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
" Looks kind of old. I wouldn't push it. Maybe some afternoon tea."

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why, You no like humor? It's drums for Petes sake ; )
Second thought She may be too old to date..

I'll guess 7/13/59 was when he/she was in for service "two heads)
Figure the orig heads lasted 12 years put her in 1942-ski-doo

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why, You no like humor? It's drums for Petes sake ; )
Second thought She may be too old to date..

I'll guess 7/13/59 was when he/she was in for service "two heads)
Figure the orig heads lasted 12 years put her in 1942-ski-doo
So much is lost through text! I was joking too. Although if that was a reference, it went right over my head.

Mac how thick is the shell?
Just a hair over 1/4".

Reactions: JDA

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
W&A and Gretsch the only companies I know didin't use re rings on the bass . It looks like a solid steam bent maple shell. The hardware is W&A which was used on a plethora of dum makers. The Stamps look like W&A. Duplex also comes to mind.
I would agree that it's very old possibly 20's 30's vintage. Rock it out!

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
W&A and Gretsch the only companies I know didin't use re rings on the bass . It looks like a solid steam bent maple shell. The hardware is W&A which was used on a plethora of dum makers. The Stamps look like W&A. Duplex also comes to mind.
I would agree that it's very old possibly 20's 30's vintage. Rock it out!
Nice, man.
And thanks everybody for the tips and info.
The inside looked like mahog to me, does it not look that to you guys?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I couldn’t say with any certainty , almost looks maple but doubtful if it’s teens or 20’s. I had a 30’s Rogers that was chestnut. And another that was oak. Lumber de jour!

Latest posts