Help me decide on Coated heads for my kit!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got my 6 new Aquarian heads. TC's & Super 2's. 3 different vendors, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater & Amazon and they all arrived on the same day, Lol! Looking forward to getting them on over the weekend and hearing the new sound!

Last edited:

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Just got my 6 new Aquarian heads. TC's & Super 2's. 3 different vendors, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater & Amazon and they all arrived on the same day, Lol! Looking forward to getting them on and hearing the new sound!
Are you going coated top and bottom?

Old Drummer

Reaction score
My local shop was out of Remo Ambassadors, and its online inventory of about 300 other heads revealed a pretty eclectic mixture of available heads. The only conventional textured heads that seemed available in all the sizes I wanted were the Evans UV1 heads, which I understand are a higher tech version of the G1 heads, although there were a smattering of sizes available in Aquarian TC heads.

Since my snare head was my primary concern, I listened to the online video comparing 62 different snare heads (way too many) and focused on the Aquarian TC vs. the Evans UV1. While they were similar and either would surely be fine, I had a slight preference for the Evans UV1. I had also read that while the Evans UV1 heads cost a little more, they last longer. I therefore decided to buy the Evans UV1 for my snare.

It was an excellent choice! Granted, the Evans UV1 head was replacing an off-brand head with chipped coating and darn near an entire roll of dampening masking tape, so any new head would have been a dramatic improvement, but I was dumbfounded by the performance of the Evans UV1. It needed no dampening at all, sounding fantastic right out of the box, so to speak.

Since I had a nearly new Aquarian TC lying around for my 10" tom, I decided to buy another Aquarian TC for my 12" but an Evans UV1 for my 16". (There's no law that says you have to have the same heads on all your drums.)

I don't see or hear much if any difference between the tom heads, although it may be impossible to compare heads across different drum sizes and tuning. However, it does seem like the Aquarian TCs lack a little in the attack department. Probably I'd have been happier putting an Aquarian TC on my 16" and Evans UV1s on both rack toms, since I think I want more attack on my rack toms but don't prioritize that as much on my floor tom. If I'm right about this difference, though, it's slight. Either head is fine.

I am though super pleased with the Evans UV1 on my snare, so I suppose would lean in favor of Evans over Aquarian, but I don't think it matters much. You can mix 'em up and form your own opinion.

Oh, my shells are low-end maple.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A few times I had heads that grew progressively in thickness with the size of the drum. Coated Ambassador on the 10”, AmbassadorX on the 12”, X14 on the 14” and coated emperor on the 16”... that kit sounded amazing and I had no issues. I’m thinking of doing that with my new Crush kit that in the way with an AmbassadorX on the 12” and X14 on the 16” of it comes in that size.
Phil Collins used to run three different thicknesses on his concert tom kit: clear Diplomats on the 8” and 10” clear Ambassador on the 12” and 15” clear Emperors on the 16” and 18” floor toms.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I installed my heads. The coated Super 2's on the 14 & 16 over the clear hi-frequency 7 mils sound fantastic. Best head combo I've tried so far on the floor toms. The Texture coated for the 8, 10, 12 & 13 over the hi-frequency reso's sound great but have a tad too much overtone for my taste. I'll be ordering some texture coated for the rack tom reso's next week which i'm sure will dampen that.

Myk

Reaction score
I have coated uv1 over coated ambassador on my 69 Ludwig 13,14 floor, 16 floor, and they sound just perfect (to me)

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
So I decided that I want to try some coated batters which I've never had on my kit. Seems like they would bring out a nice sound on my Maple shells. My experience is with Aquarian & Attack but I'm willing to give Evans a chance since I've never tried them. I'd need opinions on how they would be vs the Aquarians. No Remo! I had past QC issues with them and I won't put my money on them ever again. I've heard a ton of videos and I'm down to these 2 possible combos:

-Aquarian Texture coated 10 mil single ply for the 8, 10, 12 & 13
-Aquarian Response 2 coated 7 mil + 7 mil double ply for the 14 & 16 floor toms

-Evans G1 coated 10 mil single ply for the 8, 10, 12 & 13
-Evans G2 coated 7 mil + 7 mil double ply for the 14 & 16 floor toms

I use Aquarian Hi Frequency clear single ply 7 mil for the reso's.

Both combo's cost about the same so it's a matter of what brand will sound better. I'd like to know why I would buy the Evans over the Aquarian's. Let me know you opinions please!
LRod
Have you tried Aquarian coated Studio X head?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My most recent kit came with Evans '56 Calftone and I couldn't be happier. But then I play jazz on a bop kit so what do I know ......

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m sick of these what should I buy threads! Kill it moderators please.
Respectfully, Something tells me that your posts aren't always positive! Dude, if you don't like a thread or have nothing positive to contribute either ignore it completely or don't post anything after reading through it. That's what I and most members do! I believe most would agree with me. It keeps things civil. The forum is for everything & everyone and not just for what you like or agree with.
Thanks!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My most recent kit came with Evans '56 Calftone and I couldn't be happier. But then I play jazz on a bop kit so what do I know ......
You know a heck of a lot more than me about jazz & bop kits, LOL!

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
No but I did see them. I already got my heads today. TC & Super 2's. Maybe the next time around, I'll give those a shot.
Thanks
The coated Studio X’s are single ply with a subtle internal muffle ring that dampens the highs. To me, they have a beautiful clear tone without the thudiness of 2 plies.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Respectfully,
What I would say is "sometimes" we let "equipment" get in the "way" of playing. It's not the heads that play you. You play the heads So it Shouldn't be a Major decision juggling between "types". Ultimately the 'Sustain, shortness of sustain, texture high texture low--- a lot of that---comes from Us- the Operator. That's why the 'which should I buy' threadage is inconclusive.

It's Us. Who manipulate the ax. Ok Carry on :)

Put it this way. If "you" (Us, the operator) have short, long, low, high, long sustain, short note. long note----In us--- before we even walk over and sit at the set------ then the standard unfiltered set of heads drums and cymbals----should suffice. Because we are bringing the nuance to the instrument. Not the other way around.

And it's true. Each one of us ("all God's Children" ) Have the Nuance.
Built in. Draw that out. From us sitting at the throne. Not use the instrument feeding it back to us.. We putting it in to the instrument.. The instrument as neutral a canvas as possible that allows us to paint ourselves upon it.

It's the "I play the drums the drums don't play me" theory. LOL :D
So neutral equipment basic long tested instruments can be the palette for our expression
not the other way around.

I didn't meant that ^ to be underlined or this must have been operator error

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I would say is "sometimes" we let "equipment" get in the "way" of playing. It's not the heads that play you. You play the heads So it Shouldn't be a Major decision juggling between "types". Ultimately the 'Sustain, shortness of sustain, texture high texture low--- a lot of that---comes from Us- the Operator. That's why the 'which should I buy' threadage is inconclusive.

It's Us. Who manipulate the ax. Ok Carry on :)

Put it this way. If "you" (Us, the operator) have short, long, low, high, long sustain, short note. long note----In us--- before we even walk over and sit at the set------ then the standard unfiltered set of heads drums and cymbals----should suffice. Because we are bringing the nuance to the instrument. Not the other way around.

And it's true. Each one of us ("all God's Children" ) Have the Nuance.
Built in. Draw that out. From us sitting at the throne. Not use the instrument feeding it back to us.. We putting it in to the instrument.. The instrument as neutral a canvas as possible that allows us to paint ourselves upon it.

It's the "I[/i] play the drums the drums don't play me" theory. LOL :D
So neutral equipment basic long tested instruments can be the palette for our expression
not the other way around.
I get the thought. But I disagree, man.

What's wrong for asking for other's opinions? You have never done that? Even in person?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
No. I've watched and made my own decision.

I wasn't talking about asking opinion I was talking about tailoring a drumset with headdage. Using the Basic head and tailoring the sound by "you". By one's manipulation (by technique) of the Basic head.

I've watched and seen what great players used. No I never had to ask anyone. I guess I knew where to look.
I knew where to look. Kept that thought in my mind. It 'hit' me a certain (good) way. I felt it. And then searched out what came closest to it.

How the heck would I ever be able to ask Buddy Rich Elvin Jones Don Brewer or Michael Shrieve..
I had to watch and surmise decipher and decode, on my own. A dollop of imagination..
That's - besides lessons thruout the years- part of learning.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Asking someone for a cold-cut answer* is not using your own imagination.
Never a substitute for one's own self-exploration and imagination
*Even if there was one..
It's drums. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' there's only you. And 'your' way and you find out how well that works..
Is not like taking a Drivers Test for your license.
where's there's pass or fail before you can move on.
Constant refinement till ya croak (or lose interest)

Let your own ears - and feeling lead your way.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood the thread.

It appears to me that there are about 1000 different choices for drum heads. Asking someone else about their thoughts on a few of them could really help one narrow down the choice. Makes sense to me.

Does it come across as the OP trying to take some kind of shortcut, when you had to go the long way around?

I would think finding the answers to these questions and not wasting a bunch of time dicking around, trying every single head they are inclined to try, would allow one to get back to practicing...

Latest posts