Help me find a Bass drum bag

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m frustrated by the current crop of available bass drum bags out there. I currently have the Ahead bag, and while very robust and protective, it shares the same problem as the protection racket, drum seeker bags etc…they all place the handles on the top and bottom of the bag, meaning once you put the drum into the bag, to lift it, you now have to flip it over, potentially putting pressure on the shell or lugs, then flip it again to place it in the back of a truck bed.

I can’t for the life of me think of why a company won’t make a bag with handles on each side, so that the bag can be picked up from the ground, placed on a cart, then moved into a vehicle without flipping it multiple times.

Are there any quality bags that don’t put the handles on the top/bottom, but one on each side instead?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Ahead bags for my Legacy Maple kit and I agree that a single handle is pretty much useless on a bass drum bag. I wind up flipping the drum on its side and carrying it against my chest like a marching bass drum (I don't have a cart). But even for this 69 year old crankypants drummer, doing this isn't much of a problem. Are you really concerned that flipping the drum to put it on a cart while it's in its bag could put pressure on it that could somehow damage the drum?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My bass drum is used to nest my toms inside for transport, so it gets heavy, so yes, it could do damage. And I have ripped one of the handles already carrying it like you described. And it’s past warranty. I think I may just go back to an Enduro Pro case because I can’t seem to find a bag that has a good placement of handles like I need. Drum cases have it figured out with 3 different handles, still doesn’t make sense why a drum bag wouldn’t be more ergonomical.

Reaction score
Gewa SPS have two additional handles on the sides, but I think you'd prefer the handles rotated 90 degrees like the central red lined handle so you can lift the bag straight up as it is pictured:

Not sure how easy they are to find in the USA (I'm assuming you're in the USA).

You could always try Beato. I think they do custom orders, and stitching a few extra handles on the side seems (to me) like a relatively simple request.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beato has handles on both ends of their Pro1 bass drum bags and it is a welcome feature . I also use the Combo bag for my rack snd floor rom and it has a nice large shoulder strap and a sturdy handle as well . I am sure if you ask Fred Beato he would put handles on each end of your bags for you . He is very accommodating .

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Humes & Berg Tuxedo bag has side handles. I bought it used, so I don't know how old it is.

Dan

jmcohen

Reaction score
I have given up trying to find a bass drum bag/case that doesn’t make carrying the drum more difficult. I bought a good quality moving blanket with black on one side and blue on the other. I carry the drum to and from my truck without the blanket - it is easiest this way. When I am ready to transport, I place the drum on the blue side of the blanket, bring the corners up over the top, and place a light item on top to hold the blanket corners in place as I pack other cases around the drum. I keep the color sides of the blanket this way so I never inadvertently wrap pebbles or dirt against the finish of my bass drum. I used this method all last year and have no regrets.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Ahead bags for my Legacy Maple kit and I agree that a single handle is pretty much useless on a bass drum bag. I wind up flipping the drum on its side and carrying it against my chest like a marching bass drum (I don't have a cart). But even for this 69 year old crankypants drummer, doing this isn't much of a problem. Are you really concerned that flipping the drum to put it on a cart while it's in its bag could put pressure on it that could somehow damage the drum?
Don't you play a big double bass kit? And no cart?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have a Protection Racket case and it had handles on the side to cary the drum like a marching bass drum. Is that what you're looking for?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I riveted on leather straps( old belts) both sides of the bag using washers on the inside gluing leather over them for protection. Sorry no pics sold the bag with a drum in it a few years ago. It worked really well.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the thing you need to rethink here is the nesting of other drums inside the bass drum. Unless you have a dire shortage of transport space I'm not sure why you'd do that. That seems like it would exceed the design limits of most any bass drum bag as far as the amount of weight it is designed to carry. Not to mention the risk of damaging the interior of the bass drum.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the thing you need to rethink here is the nesting of other drums inside the bass drum. Unless you have a dire shortage of transport space I'm not sure why you'd do that. That seems like it would exceed the design limits of most any bass drum bag as far as the amount of weight it is designed to carry. Not to mention the risk of damaging the interior of the bass drum.
When I had an 18/10/14 nesting kit, I made foam circles that fit inside and were just thick enough that the drum hoops would compress the foam a little and the drum would sit snugly without touching the inside of the larger drum.

Anyway, I found (un)packing the nesting kit a logistic nightmare on small stages, so I sold it. I prefer 3 light bags over 1 heavy. My 16" bass drums travel in a FT bag that I carry in one hand.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beato has handles on both ends of their Pro1 bass drum bags and it is a welcome feature . I also use the Combo bag for my rack snd floor rom and it has a nice large shoulder strap and a sturdy handle as well . I am sure if you ask Fred Beato he would put handles on each end of your bags for you . He is very accommodating .
Was going to say the same thing. Call Fred...

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The riveter idea is the best idea here, IMO. It almost surely wouldn't cost more than sending the bag to Fred Beato for work.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m frustrated by the current crop of available bass drum bags out there. I currently have the Ahead bag, and while very robust and protective, it shares the same problem as the protection racket, drum seeker bags etc…they all place the handles on the top and bottom of the bag, meaning once you put the drum into the bag, to lift it, you now have to flip it over, potentially putting pressure on the shell or lugs, then flip it again to place it in the back of a truck bed.

I can’t for the life of me think of why a company won’t make a bag with handles on each side, so that the bag can be picked up from the ground, placed on a cart, then moved into a vehicle without flipping it multiple times.

Are there any quality bags that don’t put the handles on the top/bottom, but one on each side instead?
The new Protection Racket bass drum bags have the handles like you speak of, but they also have hand grab handles on each end where the heads are.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an echo in here, cuz I was coming in to say Beato. He’ll put a handle wherever you tell him. Really like mine.