Help me find a Bass drum bag

notINtheband

Reaction score
I really don't think drums are this fragile. Get more handles for convenience, but worrying about shell damage from flipping it over in its bag is nuts.
Yes, I have the Ahead bass drum bag. Handles on each side (head sides, not shell sides), and once I place the drum in the bag and zip it up, I mean, standing the drum back upright to carry, then laying head/down for transport is just life. Been gigging off and on for 40 years and just never seen this as an issue.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Protection Racket bass drum bags have the handles like you speak of, but they also have hand grab handles on each end where the heads are.
Can we get a link or a pic? I have a brand new 24 PR bag and it has only the rubber cup handles. and a handle on top.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you play a big double bass kit? And no cart?
I don't gig regularly, but even when I did gig regularly with my big Classics I never used a cart. Bandmates always helped with load-outs.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bass drum is used to nest my toms inside for transport, so it gets heavy, so yes, it could do damage. And I have ripped one of the handles already carrying it like you described. And it’s past warranty. I think I may just go back to an Enduro Pro case because I can’t seem to find a bag that has a good placement of handles like I need. Drum cases have it figured out with 3 different handles, still doesn’t make sense why a drum bag wouldn’t be more ergonomical.
Sorry, I should have added that I hold my bass drums by their hoops while carrying them against my chest. Never use the fershlugginer handle.

BlueFlame

Reaction score
Are there any quality bags that don’t put the handles on the top/bottom, but one on each side instead?
I just got a 22” Drum Seeker from Humes & Berg last week and was very happy that it had one handle on the side and one on top. I found it very easy to move around and load. I wonder if you called and asked for a special order if they would put them both on the side for you.

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the Ahead bag with the two handles on batter and reso side. Love it. Never been an issue. If you are so worried about putting strain on the shell or lugs, get a hardcase.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look into Nomad, Enduro or SKB hard cases, screw the bags.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your gear is only as good as the cases they're in. Hate me, if you must. I'm an exclusive user of Anvil/Calzone, Viking, Jan-Al and Olympic road cases with 5-inch casters on the bigger cases. They roll better on asphalt! Inside those well padded cases are my padded-bagged drums. The last set of bags were the Pro-Racket and they're still great. In 50 years I've never had a damaged drum. I also got the van with 1500 pound and a 1000 pound curbside wheel-chair lift-gate for hauling the drums. A thousand-dollar-plus drum in a hundred-dollar bag ain't happening.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m frustrated by the current crop of available bass drum bags out there. I currently have the Ahead bag, and while very robust and protective, it shares the same problem as the protection racket, drum seeker bags etc…they all place the handles on the top and bottom of the bag, meaning once you put the drum into the bag, to lift it, you now have to flip it over, potentially putting pressure on the shell or lugs, then flip it again to place it in the back of a truck bed.

I can’t for the life of me think of why a company won’t make a bag with handles on each side, so that the bag can be picked up from the ground, placed on a cart, then moved into a vehicle without flipping it multiple times.

Are there any quality bags that don’t put the handles on the top/bottom, but one on each side instead?
have a tailor sew one on for you.

chorga1

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love me Beatos too!

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Realized a hard case is the way to go, went with H&B Enduro Pro with foam. I have a full set of them for the toms already.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Your gear is only as good as the cases they're in. Hate me, if you must. I'm an exclusive user of Anvil/Calzone, Viking, Jan-Al and Olympic road cases with 5-inch casters on the bigger cases. They roll better on asphalt! Inside those well padded cases are my padded-bagged drums. The last set of bags were the Pro-Racket and they're still great. In 50 years I've never had a damaged drum. I also got the van with 1500 pound and a 1000 pound curbside wheel-chair lift-gate for hauling the drums. A thousand-dollar-plus drum in a hundred-dollar bag ain't happening.
I have ATA style flight cases for one of my Gretsch Custom sets. They were great when my drums traveled and "lived" in the band trailer. These days I have to haul my drums to gigs myself in my Toyota Matrix and those became quite impractical. I can fit regular hard cases in the car but, since I'm now the only one handling my drums, bags are just much easier to deal with. I'm getting old...

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yup, my Ahead has handles on both sides at the top. No issue for me, even with my 24’s.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have ATA style flight cases for one of my Gretsch Custom sets. They were great when my drums traveled and "lived" in the band trailer. These days I have to haul my drums to gigs myself in my Toyota Matrix and those became quite impractical. I can fit regular hard cases in the car but, since I'm now the only one handling my drums, bags are just much easier to deal with. I'm getting old...
I hear that! I stopped touring and taking on gigs years ago. Getting a workout (even with a 4-piece, Hat and two cymbals) before and then after a gig became a drag. I AM old. 66 years stupid. I've gone to a few jam sessions where I've taken a Questlove bop kit. The only car I've ever owned is a Crown Victoria. It's always been vans or trucks. My side gig was lighting grip on films and video. So I had to have trucks. Kept two, sold off the rest. No more workee-workee for good. The bop kit in bags fit perfectly in the Crown Vic. You couldn't pay me to go out on a tour today. Not even with a roadie. Nah, I've had my time. Somebody else's turn. I truly understand where you are coming from. But, over everything else, we DID choose to drum when we could've played the Fife or Piccolo instead. Cheers!