Help me ID a vintage NOB snare, please

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought this snare last year because it was cheap, and it looked like a two piece shell from the pictures in the add. It was advertised as a Ludwig, but that is probably due to the p-85 strainer - there are no markings on the shell or hoops.
Is it anything?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
looks like a 20's universal .... the snare throw used to be on the top hoop
It does look similar. But wouldn't a Ludwig have an engraving on the shell or one of the hoops?

Light brass shell?
It's definitely a two-piece shell. My pictures aren't very good, but in person the joint in the bead is very easy to see.

Reactions: bob

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
It does look similar. But wouldn't a Ludwig have an engraving on the shell or one of the hoops?
yes , you're right ... my universal has engraving on the hoop ... none on the shell

It's definitely a two-piece shell. My pictures aren't very good, but in person the joint in the bead is very easy to see.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice score!!
I used to have a snare like this and there was "Ludwig Universal Model" stamped/engraved on the top hoop, and no markings on the shell. 6 lugger??
The strainer is an add on.
The pix show the original strainer, butt end, and hoop engraving. For the pix I had a regular hoop on top as a bunch of the claw's were broken, as you can see in the strainer pic....bottom hoop on the left side.
bt

Attachments