Help me identify THESE Starclassics! Rare Unicorn? Saved from my house fire + Restoration + I need parts (Pictures)

DrummerMark

Reaction score
Well folks, I'm new here and this is my 1st post. {pics below will be pre-fire and post fire... More to come of my restoration thus far.}- last pic is the music room where the kit was.

I've had these Starclassics for about two years. Bought them in local music shop and had my eye on them all summer hoping nobody would buy them... Well My house burned down but i saved them (among other drum stuff) but they have been in a warehouse for months while I've waited for an answer on weather they can be restored or not... Well the company determined they were a "destroyed total loss"!! I said nay and brought them home and have began the restoration process myself...

No fire actually touched them, but it was determined that because of smoke odor, soggy insulation, and drywall soot from all the fire hose water hitting them, that they were un repairable. Upon further inspection and stripping all the hardware off of them, The shells are actually in Imaculent condition!!! Ive taken care to gently clean the shells and polish them and they are sparkling once again. No smoke odor either, and to my suprise.. No water damage!!! Unbelievable! (more pictures to come)

Well the bad news is that about 60-70% of the hardware is wasted... :/ I've tried everything but nearly all the hoops have succumbed to the dredded "yellowing and corrosion" due to water sittin on them too long. Oof.

That said, I am determined to bring my baby back to life! With your help of course... But wait, before I go on here are the specs of this Funky bad person'ing shell pack: Starclassic Maple 8" 10" 12" 14" 20" no snare, in Green/Blue sparkle? Turquoise sparkle? PLEASE can anyone tell me more about these drums? I've been trying to find info, pics, etc... on them for the last couple years but I just cant?!? Is this a Unicorn? Funky sizes aye? Did the -10 rule on the serial number beginning in "09" so that would put them at being built in 1999 right?

Anyway, my plan is to clean the rest of the hardware the best I can and let it go for a decent price on the bay/reverb and put that money towards buying all new hardware for this kit.

So the couple things I need help with is:

(1) I need to buy All new hardware; everything except bass spurs/mounts. so plenty of lugs, T-rods, Starcast mounts and Star-Cast Die Cast hoops top and bottom + plus kick drum hoops.
(2) Can you tell me more about these drums? appx value? Rare?

Thanks for reading my book, I'll autograph it free of charge after you help me out of this pickle I'm in.. ha Thanks!! Any info you can give me is much appreciated.
starclassic2.jpeg

Starclassic1.jpeg

starclassic3 (1).jpeg

starclassic3.jpeg

starclassic4.jpeg

musicroom.jpeg

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Buying all new official Tama hardware will cost a LOT of money. Maybe even more than the kit is worth.

I'd be shocked if you could do it for less than $900. Maybe more like $1200-1500. I mean, new Starclassic lugs are $12.50 each. That's close to $600 for just the toms alone, not including the bass drum. Yikes!

I'm not even sure you can buy official Tama Star Cast hoops. And they'll be really expensive, probably $100-150 per drum.

Then you'd need new bass drum hoops. That's another $200.

Not to mention all the other hardware like kick spurs and floor tom mounts, tom mounts, tension rods, drum heads...

You should take another look at the existing hardware. Have you cleaned it off yet? It may be salvagable!

Take some up-close pictures of the hardware and damage and post them here. (after it's been cleaned) You never know!

DrummerMark

Reaction score
Yeah,
one thought was to just bite a bullet and buy another "cheaper?" starclassic with the same hardware and just strip it down and put the hardware on my green sparkle kit. I'll take pics of some of the existing hardware... coming in a few... Thanks for the reply.

DrummerMark

Reaction score
As you can see the yellowing on the lugs is due to corrosion. I've used mixtures of the below cleaners for the hardware and shells. (will post shells tomorrow) Yes some will be salvageable. so I'll pick and choose what i want to replace. Spurs came out immaculent! I just want this baby to be pristine again.

Ive done a full vinigar soak on the hoops btw.. Didnt change a thing. Scrubbed with soapy water etc. I'm considering taking steel wool to the hoops but dont really think I should. Sorry but I'm too picky I suppose. If it has any yellow on it im going to replace it... Any suggestions?
thumbnail_IMG_2495.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2494.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2492.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2491.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2489.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2488.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2485 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2487.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2480.jpg

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
As you can see the yellowing on the lugs is due to corrosion. I've used mixtures of the below cleaners for the hardware and shells. (will post shells tomorrow) Yes some will be salvageable. so I'll pick and choose what i want to replace. Spurs came out immaculent! I just want this baby to be pristine again.

Ive done a full vinigar soak on the hoops btw.. Didnt change a thing. Scrubbed with soapy water etc. I'm considering taking steel wool to the hoops but dont really think I should. Sorry but I'm too picky I suppose. If it has any yellow on it im going to replace it... Any suggestions?
View attachment 510009
View attachment 510008
View attachment 510007
View attachment 510006
View attachment 510005
View attachment 510004

View attachment 510001 View attachment 510003
View attachment 510000
Looks like you've already polished some of the hardware, it's starting to look great! Even that ugly rim and the tom bracket will look better after you get done cleaning them. If not, I'm sure they'll still be 100% functional.

I've seen people underestimate their own gear before, especially when it comes to dusty old vintage drums. They think it's in poor condition, but with a little cleaning, it turns into Excellent condition.

You may have to replace a few things here and there. Tension rods tend to get rusty really fast, for instance.

Keep us updated!

DrummerMark

Reaction score
Btw, the 8" tom was in a case and stored safe so its in perfect condition. So I would need 10,12,14 tom hoops w/ the starcast mounting of course. If anyone has those I will buy them from you now. Ugh this is debilitating but I will take my time and cruise the e-net till I get everything! ehh labor of love I suppose?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some times the Starcast rims and hoops come through Ebay pretty reasonable......bundles too in multiple sizes. They aren't always real expensive when coming from smaller sellers.
Nothing wrong with a Starclassic Maple kit with warts on the chrome. It will still play nice though.

Vinegar is not that aggressive on chrome. You could try even going up a notch higher on the scale. Some of the aggressive chrome cleaners and soaks. I've even used Muriatic acid (weak HCl) on chromed parts without problems.
It will remove oxidation and corrosion and get back down to whatever chrome is there. Just don't soak "forever." Monitor from time to time.

DrummerMark

Reaction score
Hmmm I'll look into Muriatic acid, Thanks! Excellent tip. Btw These pics dont do justice on how beautiful these things sparkle in the right light... I'm so thankful that the shells have been saved that I'm will to do what it takes to restore thes beauts!

Also here's serial number of one of the drums. Any info about them would be cool. Thanks again you're awesome.
thumbnail_IMG_2497.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2498.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2499.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2501.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2502.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2503.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No steel wool of course, but have you tried the crumpled aluminum foil route? Have managed some pretty extensive restoration and shine with it and chrome polish for lubricant.

DrummerMark

Reaction score
No steel wool of course, but have you tried the crumpled aluminum foil route? Have managed some pretty extensive restoration and shine with it and chrome polish for lubricant.
Not on the rims yet, but I did use WD40 and scrubbed with tin foil on the lugs. It seems the Lugs are as shined up as they are gonna be. Still have those pesky yellow marks on some of them. I dont think those marks are gonna come up. I believe the yellow is below the surface of the chrome? Perhaps?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As has been said the hardware is very expensive - you would be better off buying orphan Starclassic drums cheap and swapping out the hardware

DrummerMark

Reaction score
As has been said the hardware is very expensive - you would be better off buying orphan Starclassic drums cheap and swapping out the hardware
This is a good idea! Would you be interested in buying a jelly bean, hardware-less starclassic once im finished? j/k!!!,

jokes aside, this may be my best bet.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It stinks that the hoops are all diecast $$$. Idk how badly you want everything to be stock? but I have some 2.3mm DW triple flange hoops that I could give you. I replaced all my hoops last year and have my stock DW tom hoops just sitting here. They aren’t mint, but they are in better shape than your damaged ones. I have 8”, 10”, 12”, 14”, & 16”. The 8”, 10”, & 12” are 6-lugs and the 14” & 16” are 8-lugs.

If you have any interest at all just let me know. I’m not trying to make a killing. Pay the shipping and they’re yours. A house fire is my worst nightmare.

DrummerMark

Reaction score
It stinks that the hoops are all diecast $$$. Idk how badly you want everything to be stock? but I have some 2.3mm DW triple flange hoops that I could give you. I replaced all my hoops last year and have my stock DW tom hoops just sitting here. They aren’t mint, but they are in better shape than your damaged ones. I have 8”, 10”, 12”, 14”, & 16”. The 8”, 10”, & 12” are 6-lugs and the 14” & 16” are 8-lugs.

If you have any interest at all just let me know. I’m not trying to make a killing. Pay the shipping and they’re yours. A house fire is my worst nightmare.
I really appreciate your consideration! I will keep you in mind for sure. I would like to go stock with this rebuild, but if things start looking like its not feasible... then I may get in touch with you about that! Rock on brother!

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love it so far.

For me a Coca Cola bath overnight and WD40 to finish it off, are the perfect solutions for rust removal.

Pitting always needs new chroming (because of the nature of pitting) so I have learned to except that.

Mulletmadnesssss

Reaction score
Buying all new official Tama hardware will cost a LOT of money. Maybe even more than the kit is worth.

I'd be shocked if you could do it for less than $900. Maybe more like $1200-1500. I mean, new Starclassic lugs are $12.50 each. That's close to $600 for just the toms alone, not including the bass drum. Yikes!

I'm not even sure you can buy official Tama Star Cast hoops. And they'll be really expensive, probably $100-150 per drum.

Then you'd need new bass drum hoops. That's another $200.

Not to mention all the other hardware like kick spurs and floor tom mounts, tom mounts, tension rods, drum heads...

You should take another look at the existing hardware. Have you cleaned it off yet? It may be salvagable!

Take some up-close pictures of the hardware and damage and post them here. (after it's been cleaned) You never know!
You could get from factory direct hardware for cheaper

drumr386

Reaction score

View attachment 510009
View attachment 510008
View attachment 510007
View attachment 510006
View attachment 510005
View attachment 510004

View attachment 510001 View attachment 510003
View attachment 510000
Regarding the cleaning solutions you’re using, I reconditioned many stands, snares, and most recently a set and have found Turtlewax Compound Cleaner to be the best for hardware. I put it on with my hands and scrub with a toothbrush. It will bring it back as far as possible without rechroming.
I’m in total agreement with swarfrat, the story will be part of the drums history.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Nothing new as far as opinions go, but I think buying a cheap Starclassic kit and stealing the hardware off of it is the way to go in this instance, but I’m not seeing much of an issue with the yellowing. Of course it’s there but I’d keep it and use it if it’s functioning well, it’s a very cool story and part of the drums history.

As far as the finish goes, I’m not too sure what it is, but I wouldn’t say that the kit is worth a ton of money because of it. It’s a cool color for sure though!