Help me identify this Gretsch Drum Kit

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
K.O. - I just found out Gretsch did an earlier import line in the early 70's (possibly 60's) called "Dorado".
Definately MIJ drums (and guitars), they even offered a separate catalog for them.
NO WAY could you confuse them with the real deal Gretsch drum, but the badges did say "Dorado by Gretsch".
Pretty interesting, I thought.
Funny you mentioned this. I was reading from the Gretsch book this weekend - Dorado was definitely MIJ and was in 1973 only. It was a copy of course like most MIJ. I was looking at a silver sparkle Dorado kit maybe 1+ year ago on Reverb - 13/16/22 if I recall - and it was only $300! It was in nice shape and I should have jumped on it.....apparently, Gretsch made Dorado guitars, too.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was able to find virgin shells from the G vineyard some years ago, and swapped the ball and socket drilled toms shells, which had fist-sized holes in them, over to them. The kit sounded good before - even better after.
Those look great! Is the music stand attached to the rack?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those look great! Is the music stand attached to the rack?
Thanks. There's a bit of yellowing on the 15, but I bought that separately.

The stand flies off part of a cymbal stand flown off a Pearl clamp. It saves me twisting my neck when reading or trying to engineer a track. It also makes it easier to determine when my granddaughter is trying to sneak up on me.

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just seen this picture of a local Gretsch Drum Kit for sale. This is basically the only picture I have. Is it a cheap one or is it a SSB? It looks like there are tone controls on the drums...
But I have no idea :)
Any help appreciated!

View attachment 483655
Interestingly, there's a similar set for sale here ( link ). I don't think it's the same set though when comparing the location of the badge on the bass drum.
Were there many of these sets produced that 2 end up for sale here in such a short time?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, there's a similar set for sale here ( link ). I don't think it's the same set though when comparing the location of the badge on the bass drum.
Were there many of these sets produced that 2 end up for sale here in such a short time?
Gretsch sold a lot of drums and black nitron was a popular finish so no, I don't think it's that odd that another one pops up.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm actually seeing a lot to like in those pictures. 13/13/16/20 is odd, but a wood snare, some Sound Edge 602's, a Pre-Split Istanbul, the Rogers Swivo pedal that get folks hot & bothered, and a Tama Lever-Glide (a personal fetish object) all help make it more interesting.