Help me learn about my Zildjian A’s!

lcondo123

Reaction score
Hi gang! Let me say first off I’m a Paiste guy. I know very little about Zildjian cymbals, so when I got these 15” hats in a bulk purchase of a drum kit, I didn’t know what I had. I still don’t know.

I know they’re 15” hats. VERY thin, they sound fantastic. Bottom hat has a very small crack in the center of the mount hole. Other than that, no cracks or dings whatsoever. Very clean. Included are pictures and a YouTube video of my hats filmed with my iPhone. I don’t have a scale or else I’d weigh them.

Edumacate me!

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
One of the biggest differences regarding those years. Was in the change in factory. From Quincy Ma. to Norwell Ma.
pre 1972 / post 1972.

So if 60s seems correct , then you have
"Quincy pies"
Quincy was (more of..) the old school technique and machinery and "practices" (that) slightly changed with the move to Norwell.
Quincy/ Norwell
Massachusetts
````````````````````
In 1972, the U.S. plant was upgraded significantly. The new facility in Norwell, Massachusetts, was as mechanized and technologically advanced as possible, reducing the amount of hand labor required to make the cymbals. The reject rate had always been high in the old manufacturing process. With new machinery, plant managers endeavored to make a more consistent product. Zildjian's line continued to change to meet the needs of popular musicians. The company developed louder, brighter, or dryer sounding cymbals for rock musicians. Zildjians were the choice of many percussionists with major rock groups, including Ginger Baker of Cream, and Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix's drummer.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They don't have that usual deep, dry, smoothness you hear with 50's. They don't sound like thin to medium thins (800-1000 gm) which is probably the most commonly seen weight range. Sound more like 1100's or a bit heavier. A bit higher pitched. Brighter than I've heard before on 50's 15's. With only having a very light patina that could be the cause. Most are pretty well toned down. Matched weights or is one considerably lighter than the other? 15's from the 50's are always cool.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah. They sound a bit heavier to me as well. Could be the recording.
Got a scale?

lcondo123

Reaction score
They don't have that usual deep, dry, smoothness you hear with 50's. They don't sound like thin to medium thins (800-1000 gm) which is probably the most commonly seen weight range. Sound more like 1100's or a bit heavier. A bit higher pitched. Brighter than I've heard before on 50's 15's. With only having a very light patina that could be the cause. Most are pretty well toned down. Matched weights or is one considerably lighter than the other? 15's from the 50's are always cool.
Cool! This is the kind of information I was looking for. Good to know. I’m used to 2002 SE hats, so these are considerably lighter than what I’m used to. They’re very close in weight to each other, I have to tap them to hear the difference to determine which is top and bottom.

Yeah. They sound a bit heavier to me as well. Could be the recording.
Got a scale?
I don’t! I wish I did, but I don’t have one at home. Maybe FedEx or UPS would weigh them for me.

deegeebee

Reaction score
top hat sounds pretty darn thin to me, especially near the end of the video played open - opens right up like a paper thin. Overall pitch is quite high though, which could just be the video. Nice hats, I am also playing thin 15" old As these days and enjoying them very much.

NewBeat

Reaction score
Oops, yes - '50s small stamps, could be as late as '63.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Thanks for your input everybody. I'm going to try to find a place to get them weighed, and I'll see if I can getting a better sounding recording with my little ZOOM device capturing the audio.

I'm considering selling them since I barely use them - could anybody suggest a price range for these hats?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The weights can swing the price $25 one way or the other. I consider a set of matched 1950's 15's (same look, stamp, patina) around $150-$200....ranging from heavier to thins. The later ones from the 60's to 70's (including new beats) I put in the $125 to $175 range. I bought my first set of nice 1950's 15's a couple years off Ebay for $185 delivered....weights were matched around 900-950 gms. Sold them for $200. But the market is definitely not as strong today as more and more vintage Zildjians have continued to show up.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Thanks for your input everybody. I'm going to try to find a place to get them weighed, and I'll see if I can getting a better sounding recording with my little ZOOM device capturing the audio.

I'm considering selling them since I barely use them - could anybody suggest a price range for these hats?
Should we start a pool? I'm no expert but I'll throw out 800/1350 g just for fun.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Alright, so the scales at UPS were only in pounds to the hundredths decimal point, so I got 1.95 pounds for the top and 2.10 pounds for the bottom - which translates to 884.5 grams for the top and 952.5 grams for the bottom. Light??

Looks like you were too low AND high there, deegeebee!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Alright, so the scales at UPS were only in pounds to the hundredths decimal point, so I got 1.95 pounds for the top and 2.10 pounds for the bottom - which translates to 884.5 grams for the top and 952.5 grams for the bottom. Light??

Looks like you were too low AND high there, deegeebee!
I did this for a while. Then I realized it's just way easier to buy a digital kitchen scale on Amazon for $20. You'll end up using it for a lot of other things, too.

lcondo123

Reaction score
I did this for a while. Then I realized it's just way easier to buy a digital kitchen scale on Amazon for $20. You'll end up using it for a lot of other things, too.
I'm definitely going to have to get one soon. I've been doing this far too long! Thankfully UPS is literally around the corner in walking distance from me.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sweet. I love my old light A's. I love them so much, I don't have a problem saying it any chance that I can get.

Mine are Trans Stamps. 750g and 815g or something around there. Don't remember off the top of my head, but they're light. The heavier cymbal has bell cracks, kinda spidery. The light one has flea bites, dents and is missing a tiny chunk.
But they are such works of art. The lighter one is kinda dry and sloshes really well. It's ever-so-slightly soft under the stick. Feels so sweet to play.
And the heavier one is way lower in pitch and has a lot more sustain. Sounds great with tight/fast sticking.
I added a 70's A 15" hat of some kind that is up over 1000g. I use it as a bottom with either Trans and that covers any situation I'll probably ever find myself in.
The three hat combo really is the way to go, for me.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Sweet. I love my old light A's. I love them so much, I don't have a problem saying it any chance that I can get.

Mine are Trans Stamps. 750g and 815g or something around there. Don't remember off the top of my head, but they're light. The heavier cymbal has bell cracks, kinda spidery. The light one has flea bites, dents and is missing a tiny chunk.
But they are such works of art. The lighter one is kinda dry and sloshes really well. It's ever-so-slightly soft under the stick. Feels so sweet to play.
And the heavier one is way lower in pitch and has a lot more sustain. Sounds great with tight/fast sticking.
I added a 70's A 15" hat of some kind that is up over 1000g. I use it as a bottom with either Trans and that covers any situation I'll probably ever find myself in.
The three hat combo really is the way to go, for me.
Sounds like you've got yourself sorted out! That sounds like a wicked combination. I really like the slosh of these hats, but I'm not sure I totally dig their lower volume and lack of "chick" - I think I might just be used to the definition of Sound Edge hats. I've been eyeing up 16" Giant Beat hats recently, so I gotta figure out what I want to do with these guys.

Latest posts