Help me learn about my Zildjian A’s!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got yourself sorted out! That sounds like a wicked combination. I really like the slosh of these hats, but I'm not sure I totally dig their lower volume and lack of "chick" - I think I might just be used to the definition of Sound Edge hats. I've been eyeing up 16" Giant Beat hats recently, so I gotta figure out what I want to do with these guys.
Try mixing your SE bottom with the A Zildjian top. I'll bet you'll be pleased with the results. The bright "chick" you get with SE hats is due to the bottom cymbal. I did this years ago with a New Beat top and a 602 SE bottom. Sounded great, but eventually I wanted the warmer (less brighter) sound of the NB bottom.

Last edited:

lcondo123

Reaction score
Try mixing your SE bottom with the A Zildjian top. I'll bet you'll be pleased with the results. The bright "chick" you get with SE hats is due to the bottom cymbal. I did this years ago with a New Top and a 602 SE bottom. Sounded great, but eventually I wanted the warmer (less brighter) sound of the NB bottom.
I've done that before!! I actually loved those results. I'll have to do that again next time I play.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Alright, so the scales at UPS were only in pounds to the hundredths decimal point, so I got 1.95 pounds for the top and 2.10 pounds for the bottom - which translates to 884.5 grams for the top and 952.5 grams for the bottom. Light??

Looks like you were too low AND high there, deegeebee!
As the only contestant inthe pool, I declare victory by default.
t-birds-win-by-default-the-two-sweetest-words-in-the-english-language-woohoo-de-fault-de-fault...jpg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those are nice weights for sure. So probably in the $175-$200 range.

I have a matched set of trans stamp 15's at 870/890 gm. Heavy enough to give me some foot "chup." But they are pretty dry and dark. What I've been using lately are some mixed paper thin 15's....the top is a 1st stamp 1930's with a couple old rivets....the bottom is a 755 gm trans stamp also with a couple of rivets. Despite being paper thin, these have plenty of "chup" as well as a sizzly sound from those old rivets. I love them. They combine the sizzle of newer A's along with the dry, darkness of the early Zildjians. There is much more life to them than my matched trans stamps.

TPC

Reaction score
^ Super thin A’s cut surpringly well. Something about the frequency of the chup.

OP
Nice score.
Those cymbals seem great - old 15” A’s make the best hats. One thing I might suggest is to keep your eye open for an 15” orphan in the 1100 to 1300 g +/- range (New Beat bottom, BAND cymbal, whatever). They’re a dime a dozen and you’d be set for life. Please let us know how they work out.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Those are nice weights for sure. So probably in the $175-$200 range.
With the crack?

If I already owned the cymbals, the crack wouldn't bother me much. Smear a little epoxy on it and all will probably be fine. But as a buyer I'd be leery and as a seller worried.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're right. I had forgot about the crack after the one day delay in posting those weights. That bell hole crack drops the value of that one cymbal by at least $25....possibly closer to $30-$40....depending on the buyer. So back to the $125-$175 range....and OP would probably be very fortunate if they could get over $150. I just sold a pair of trans stamp thin 15's (830/840) where one had a tiny 1 mm edge crack - just had started. That dropped the value of that pair by nearly $50.

This bell hole crack will probably never progress as long as future owners are careful with clutch tension and avoid banging on the bell. To some it will barely matter....to others it's the "grand canyon." I don't see many hi hats with bell hole cracks other than vintage K Istanbuls. Now if you use those 15's as crashes, that's a more likely source of bell cracks.

Latest posts