Help me pick my next shell pack

Nubs

Reaction score
I currently have a Mapex Mars 5 piece kit (12" up, 14" & 16" down) and while it's nice, it's just not what I want in a kit. I have recently been playing in a typical jazz 4-piece config and put away the 2nd floor tom. The 22" bass drum gives a great boom, but again I think it's just too much. I'm looking for something smaller.

Ideally I would like a 3-piece as I have a snare already, but I wouldn't mind if the pack came with one. I'm ideally thinking an 18" bass drum but definitely no larger than 20", ideally it would not have a hole for a tom holder, but I suppose I can sacrifice this for the price range. Tom is either 10" or 12" and floor is 14". Price will definitely be a factor, so nothing over a grand.

I like playing some blues, occasional classic rock, funk, and a bit of jazzy stuff. Looking on Sweet's site, I have narrowed it down to these:

Personally, I'm leaning towards the PDP, but would love to hear from others on their experiences with any of these. Thanks in advance!

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
The Yamaha bop I had a few years ago had 6 lugs on the kick. I was not a fan. 20" is much more versatile for gigging/recording but if this is a practice/rehearsal kit, 18" is fine. With my 18" kick riser I added luck nuts so it would not work loose during a gig. The sound of an 18" kick is great to me but they are not as loud as a 20/22.

The Yamaha bop kit was unreal for the money. I used to have a Gretsch Cat Bop kit & it was great too. I gigged it quite a bit.

Good luck.

Sean

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a PDP bop set 2 months ago for my son and am very impressed it. My son loves it and is playing on it all the time.

I picked it up from Sweetwater for 500 bucks and feel it can't be beat for the money.

I feel the stained finish and wood hoops is a very classy and unique look that won't get old.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The SJC set seems too gimicky.
I don't like the 6 lug bass drums on the Yamaha.
The PDPs look great as do the new Gretsch Catalinas. I also like the Tama Superstar classic maples and the new Mapex Mars series bop sets.
Lots of good choices...can't go wrong with any of them. Budget yourself for some new heads.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'd go with either the gretsch or the pdp

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is . Gretsch Renown are superb .

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally I would buy Gretsch or Ludwig, if you only have one kit, a 20" bass, would be my minimum. The Catalina's are nice but keep your snare. Save your money and go for quality or quality used. Again don't get in a hurry, do your research and go for quality. You'll be glad you did and it may last you a life time, mine did which saved me money over the years.

sherm

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally I would buy Gretsch or Ludwig, if you only have one kit, a 20" bass, would be my minimum. The Catalina's are nice but keep your snare. Save your money and go for quality or quality used. Again don't get in a hurry, do your research and go for quality. You'll be glad you did and it may last you a life time, mine did which saved me money over the years.

sherm
Well said, Sherm.