Help me Rivet My Ride at Home

poetman

Reaction score
I have a 22” in desperate need of rivets but no LDS available to do it. I have a neighbor who is handy, and who has a drill, if I have him do it, how do I ensure that the rivet holes are evenly spaced around the perimeter? Alternatively, what other kinds of local businesses do you think could do this, a machine shop?
What have others used?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy to do. I put the cymbal on the stand and let it naturally hang. This way you can figure out where to put and not put it. I usually put opposite of the edge nearest you for max effect. How many do you want? For singles, I measure 1.5" in from the edge. I put blue painters tape down then Mark on it with a Sharpie. This will help you avoid the drill skipping and an amateur result. Once you know where, I flip the cymbal upside down and tape the spot and mark on the tape there then drill from the bottom using a 5/32" new sharp tip. Start slow and go steady and take your time. I don't like the cluster but I can measure the distance if you need it. Do it yourself and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
need cobalt (hardened) drill bit 5/32"

Block of wood.
and your wife's drill.
eyeball where it looks good and out of the playing area. drill from the topside. close enough. for jazz.
you own it.
pro tip: stock 3/32" for baby edge spider (non rivet) crack repair
and the 5/32" for rivet (use) size holes. Cobalt both. drill bits.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found you rarely need more than two rivets, and the ideal positions vary from cymbal to cymbal. 1" or 1.5" is a good distance from the edge. For the first rivet opposite the striking point, you can figure out the ideal spot by having a rivet dangling from a string. You want an even decay. Once you've installed the first rivet, figure out the next spot by using the same method.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
use split style rivets - they are easy to install and remove
such as

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Definitely blue tape first so you don’t skip off and scratch it! If your drill bits aren’t in great shape (nice and sharp), start off with a teeny tiny bit to make the initial hole on your mark - it’s way easier to bite in with a very small bit. Then step up to the final size (determined by the shaft size of the rivet, just slightly larger).

1.5” in from edge is great as suggested, on a 22” maybe even 1.75”-2”? I like them pretty far apart, for 2 rivets I’d pretend you were installing 2 of a potential 5 equidistant rivets - so at 1.5” in that’d be spaced 12.88 inches apart (on the circumference, not in a straight line). Assuming you’re only doing 2, just a straight 12” apart should look and sound pretty good IMO. Opposite side of where you play, for sure.

I’ve got you covered for rivets, if you want to save a few bucks let me know and I’ll send you a couple of whatever you like. I believe I have Istanbul, Sabian, and some cool lightweight copper. Iirc, I have split and hollow tube (you have to flare the bottom) I can check and send a pic of your options.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before drilling why not put on a removable sizzler and see how you like it. You might change your mind on drillin'.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can tape a nickel onto it with scotch tape and see if you like it first. Also, I updated my prior reply...use a 5/32" bit, not 5/64"!

As for rivets I almost always use Zildjian. I take my Dremel and grind 1/8" down the shaft at 12/3/6/9:00 and flare it with bottle nose pliers once inserted.

Also, I was at Ace True Value the other day (2 weeks ago!) and saw they have a ton of different rivets. I meant to go back and post more info but haven't been able to, yet. They had all sorts of regular and split rivets.

Last edited:

rock roll

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here , except the "you should drill from the top" ..you will want to drill from the bottom...because...the shape of the cymbal, you don't want air under your cymbal when you drill because you could dent it by pushing down too hard.
Use a rat tail file to clean the holes then sand paper.you can also use the rat tail file to flare out the rivet/sizzle.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Depending on how good your bit is, you might want to use some cutting oil or coolant. It the bronze gets hot, it gets fragile.

poetman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The drilling part seems clearest. How do I ensure that I get the holds evenly spaced across the cymbal?

fenrir

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The drilling part seems clearest. How do I ensure that I get the holds evenly spaced across the cymbal?
Use a compass? If you want five divide circumference by five, set your compass to that length and away you go.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just eyeball it! Obviously, it's easy if just doing one. If you have another cymbal, you can put it on top and use as a guide to mark holes. You can use a drum rim (6/8 hole), too. You can use a yardstick or ruler and just take your time measuring, as with most things......measure twice+, then cut/drill once! I've never needed to use oil, btw......

ThomasL

Reaction score
6 rivets is easiest: the straight distance between two neighboring holes should be the same as their distance from the center (6 equilateral triangles).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've an early 60s A 20" 1956g ride that has (as long as I've owned it and believe it to be factory) 7 rivets evenly spaced.

now that's cool..

Browny

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting the drill out on my 60s A, I use a promark sizzler on it >75% of the time anyway (but hate that it wants to lay in the 'strike zone' and if I hit it or get too much motion in the cymbal from a crash it can wrap around the wing nut).

Looking at my local hardware store and they've got small bifurcated (split) nickel rivets which appear to be a good option. They have two sizes available; 3mm (hair smaller than 1/8") and 4mm diameter (about 5/32"). Which would be the ticket?