Help me with my stage presence/looks

ToBBa

Reaction score
Hi all

I have noticed my self, and also gotten some comments that I look away from the crowd, or look angry and pi**ed off while I play.
I have a tendency to look down to my left when I play, and I tend to get very focused on what I do on stage, and I think my body language is a part of that "focusing".
Of course the music is the most important and I'm happy as long as I manage to play the songs I'm supposed to,but it would be nice if I could manage to look like I'm having a great time (I always have a great time playing for people) while I play.

Here is a link to a vid of me playing so that you can see what I mean.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAtGOvpAnmg

So my question is, if any of you have encountered the same "problem" and have any tips or tricks to look a bit more loose on stage?

Thanks
T

Last edited by a moderator:

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good band, good chops, and I see that focused look you're talking about. I don't see anything really wrong with what you're doing but if you feel the need to change think about this. You get to do with that band what many would like to be able to do but can't. Be proud of what you've accomplished and let them know you're happy to be there. Smiles are contagious...send one out there.

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I was in a popular local blues / classic rock band. I played the same old worn-out songs night after night wearing sunglasses on stage. The songs were so easy and I was so familiar with them that I would actually watch the TV monitors while playing. Apparently some members of the audience took notice and thought I was blind! :)

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a mirror set up where you practice? A buddy of mine (guitar player) did and it's a great idea. If you can see yourself while playing it will make a big difference IMO.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
God, if I had to look at myself in the mirror ... might cause me to quit playing drums!

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think your stage presence is fine.

We are supposed to be paying attention to our job, aren't we ?

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Looks fine to me, too. Maybe a smile at the end of a song would work for you.....marko

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Shades. Gotta wear shades . You look confident and play that way too... now add a bit o mystery .

If you remember, smile once in awhile and when you do , pick a spot out past the stage to focus on . Pretend there's a balcony .

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Let the singer worry about stage presence...no one really pays attention to the drummer anyway. :)

What I do is try to scan the room, so it seems more like I'm engaging with the audience. Of course, I also keep an eye on the rest of the band, especially during solos or near the end of a song to keep the ending tight.

Pocket Man

Reaction score
Actually, the first disturbing thing that jumped out at me was the lead singer with that cowbell. (pretty goofy) IMHO

Keeper John

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You look fine...just be yourself.
As already said by others, if you want to change then try not focusing to your left ,instead focus on something out in front past the audience.
I like your playing. that's what counts.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Focus on the rear end of the hottest lady on the dance floor. Might even make you smile.

Track

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see what you mentioned about looking down to the left. Your pocket is really great, chops are solid. My only note is that you appear a bit "tight".

If you want to change up your stage vibe, spend some time watching CMT and absorb how the showoff drummers are playing. Most play really "forward", very aggressive, and with the goal of putting on a very flashy show. Keep in mind that on the awards they usually play one or two songs max, so they really go all out. But most play loose, which looks killer, so that's why I mentioned it.
Keep in mind that I'm not recommending you start competing with your singer's stage presence, rather, you should compliment it. Drawing attention to yourself as a drummer is a serious infraction in the band world!

Spooky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, i think the same about my playing, I try to remember once in a while to look up and look at the crowd, I usually try to spot my mum or my sister, then I always pull a crazy face, they just pop out, I think it is nerves/excitement!
I think you play great, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, like someone said to me, look at Neil Peart.
Spooky
:)

ToBBa

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys and kind words!
we only get to rehears like 4 times a year, so the playng is a bit sloopy in that vid me thinks.

The mirror trick might be worth a shot.

It's not like i have stage fright, i totaly love beeing on the stage, so i don't think that is the cause if the stiffness.

I'm very happy to play and thankfull for the chanses i get to do so.
I feel that when playing for people that have payd money to see us, we have to deliver a complete product that obviously consists of the music, but there is also a visual aspect to that product. So if me looking more loose on stage can contribute to the over all impression the crowd goes home with after the show, then i should do everything in my might to achive that.

As some of you say, a smile don't hurt and i have tried to focus on smiling, but it seams that everytime i do so my playing suffers from me trying to smile hehe...i don't want that.

If you have some more tips, i want to hear them.
Thanks

Tenatious P

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This from my experience:

I always tended to strive for 'focus' / 'the zone' or whatever you wanna call it. The obvious sign of this was turning my head and looking to the left - the same as you mention. the biggest issue this caused for me wasn't necessarily how I looked (although it was mentioned now and then) but that I wasn't very good at communicating with the rest of the band. I got over it by making sure I was always watching others (our singer is a great and very active front man, our bass player is a bit of a 'tempo-freak' and is good for letting me know if we need to speed up / slow down at all, and our guitarist and keyboard players are always looking for a laugh during gigs, so we end up sharing little 'in-jokes' that to the audience look like we're all having a blast. We are, of course, but the impression always helps the audience get into the right mood as well.

I'd echo the 'focus on the hot chicks' and 'scan the audience' from above, because anything that contributes to full engagement between band and audience is going to make your performance that much better from the audience's perspective.