Help me with my wood?

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am picking up this snare shortly and the owner is not quite certain what wood it is. I have my suspicions, but ask your opinions.

An email to DW yielded no info as they stated they had no records from the time the drum was made (2000).

I hesitate to ask on DW Facebook forums because I typically have the asshats come out of the woodwork to berate me when I have posted inquiries, after due diligence in research. I'm mostly a Ludwig guy, I'm used to the same questions being asked ad nauseum, and the community actually cares to answer constructively.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Here’s a Cherry -
CADB42BF-477D-48D5-A6BF-4032CA089B6F.jpeg

I’m still leaning toward Maple, with a possible Cherry lol. Yours has more of the classic golden amber maple color, but that doesn’t mean anything with a finished wood. Just looks Maple-y to me, but they can look awfully similar.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
She’s maple... Is it a Craviotto?
Yes it is a Craviotto. It just seems a bit reddish for maple, especially the interior, and the pitch pockets/gum spots in the wood is confusing as well.
My guess was Cherry, like you mentioned in your 2nd post

Attachments

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell if there’s a shadow from the hoops in the pics, or if there’s a distinctly darker, reddish section near the hoop. That would be very Cherry. But if it’s a shadow, idk. Maple will have lighter/darker figuring, but Cherry will usually have distinctly reddish hues contrasting with the more typical Maple colors. Usually.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
It’s a beautiful drum whatever it is, looks in great shape too.

The area that looks like it could be reddish darker wood is right beneath the badge... Is that a good sized reddish streak or a shadow from the pic?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like cherry to me. I thought maple at first considering its vintage, then you said it was steam bent and a Crav shell, so I instantly thought, not maple, likely cherry.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid cherry? Sweet Craviotto....I have two DW C's in 5x14 and 6.5x14 both in maple.....

Barden

Reaction score
Sure looks like cherry to me. If you can take a lug off and look underneath it will hold a clue. If the wood is much lighter in color where the lug was covering that's supporting evidence that it's cherry. Cherry responds to UV by darkening.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
That's Cherry Wood. The grain run shows it. Cherry is a beautifully wood for sensitivity. I had an N&C Solid Cherry some years back. A beautifully warm and sensitive drum.