Help Picking Out a Snare

Bmusic

Reaction score
New guy here, looking for some wisdom.

I’m also—how shall I put this?—not much of a drummer. I’m a self-taught hobbyist, and father of a dude who drums in his high school jazz band. So I have a decent DW kit in the house, nice set of K’s, etc.

Enough preamble. Down to it: I’m looking to add a snare drum. (I have a Supraphonic and a Pearl Omar Hakim.) A couple years ago, I had a Craviotto 14x6.5 Custom Shop solid maple, which I loved, but sold (along with a nice Brady) in a fit of “why does a dabbler such as I need 5 snares, including a $1300 masterpiece?”

Now I’d like to recreate the experience of that drum at a lower price point, hoping that the $700 or so I shave off the price tag is stuff my novice chops will never miss. By “that experience,” I mean that earthy, woody crack.

Of the features of that beloved Craviotto, what should I focus on replicating? The 6.5” depth? The solid shell? The wood species? The tube lugs?

The answer I fear, of course, is that I will never replicate the experience of a custom shop Craviotto. But I am humbly open to everyone’s thoughts.

Many thanks,
The Wandering Bassist

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m also—how shall I put this?—not much of a drummer. I’m a self-taught hobbyist, and father of a dude who drums in his high school jazz band. So I have a decent DW kit in the house, nice set of K’s, etc.

Enough preamble. Down to it: I’m looking to add a snare drum. (I have a Supraphonic and a Pearl Omar Hakim.) A couple years ago, I had a Craviotto 14x6.5 Custom Shop solid maple, which I loved, but sold (along with a nice Brady) in a fit of “why does a dabbler such as I need 5 snares, including a $1300 masterpiece?”

Now I’d like to recreate the experience of that drum at a lower price point, hoping that the $700 or so I shave off the price tag is stuff my novice chops will never miss. By “that experience,” I mean that earthy, woody crack.

Of the features of that beloved Craviotto, what should I focus on replicating? The 6.5” depth? The solid shell? The wood species? The tube lugs?

The answer I fear, of course, is that I will never replicate the experience of a custom shop Craviotto. But I am humbly open to everyone’s thoughts.

Many thanks,
The Wandering Bassist
Take a look at WFLIII. I just bought one. Fantastic snares with the Ludwig heritage:

LRod

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should stay with the snares you have now. They can do all that you need. But if you're insistent on getting another............

Check out the Ludwig Standards (14x6.5) from the 1940's and WFL's into the 50's in similar sizes. My 1946 Ludwig standard 3 ply was the best wood snare I've ever owned. You can find them in decent player status for $350-$450.
There are other drums similar to these as well. A player grade, 1-ply Radio King 40's to mid-50's could do it too. The more "player" and less correct, the cheaper you'll be in one.

Last edited:

Bmusic

Reaction score
These have been some great suggestions for serving (or staving off) my gear lust, but I’m still curious to know from experts such as yourselves just what the secret sauce in that Craviotto might have been. pgm554’s response leads me to wonder if the reinforcement rings are the thing.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at WFLIII. I just bought one. Fantastic snares with the Ludwig heritage:

LRod
To that end, Slingerland is one of the best values on the vintage market.
With a new drum, look at Ludwig Classic Maple. Laminated shell, but they're great drums.

Elvis

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These have been some great suggestions for serving (or staving off) my gear lust, but I’m still curious to know from experts such as yourselves just what the secret sauce in that Craviotto might have been. pgm554’s response leads me to wonder if the reinforcement rings are the thing.
I own ten solid shell snare maple snare drums from a bunch of different manufacturers. The depths vary from 4.5" to 7". The hoops are diverse, COB stick savers, stick choppers, COS triple flanged and die cast are all represented. The bearing edges differ quite a bit. The thickness of the shells even vary.

But, they all share the special magic of a solid maple snare drum. I have a bunch of metal and wood multi-ply snares as well, but I love solid shells.

Your mileage may vary.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To that end, Slingerland is one of the best values on the vintage market.
With a new drum, look at Ludwig Classic Maple. Laminated shell, but they're great drums.

Elvis
My whole kit is Ludwig Classic Maple (7 pc.), and for the snare I chose the WFLIII over the Classic Maple snare. 3 ply maple! It just sounds great and gives great contrast to the Classic Maple toms. And WFLIII's quality is A-1! Better price, great sound, immaculate construction, faster turnaround production time, etc.. It's a winner no matter how you look at it. And for the OP, about the Craviotto secret sauce: I haven't a clue what it is but from all the Craviotto sound files I've seen, only a Craviotto sounds like a Craviotto! I think it would be tough to find something that duplicates that sound. And not just because it's a Craviotto! Many other snares are uniquely distinct, sound like themselves and are difficult to reproduce with another brand/model snare.

Last edited:

10 Lug

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can live with 5x14 I put a Noble & Cooley walnut on Craig's List, Cape Cod, today. It is in like new condition. $625.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO the Mapex Black Panther Solidus is perfect for your needs. 14x7 with 11ply(11mm) thick all maple shell. Plus it looks great and is around $500. Great quality at a great price!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My whole kit is Ludwig Classic Maple (7 pc.), and for the snare I chose the WFLIII over the Classic Maple snare. 3 ply maple! It just sounds great and gives great contrast to the Classic Maple toms. And WFLIII's quality is A-1! Better price, great sound, immaculate construction, faster turnaround production time, etc.. It's a winner no matter how you look at it. And for the OP, about the Craviotto secret sauce: I haven't a clue what it is but from all the Craviotto sound files I've seen, only a Craviotto sounds like a Craviotto! I think it would be tough to find something that duplicates that sound. And not just because it's a Craviotto! Many other snares are uniquely distinct, sound like themselves and are difficult to reproduce with another brand/model snare.
Are you saying, given the same sizes for both drums, a WFLIII snare drum is less expensive than a Classic Maple snare drum?

Elvis

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO the Mapex Black Panther Solidus is perfect for your needs. 14x7 with 11ply(11mm) thick all maple shell. Plus it looks great and is around $500. Great quality at a great price!
That's a great choice. Or you could go for a PhatBob, an almost identical Black Panther snare which is about $100 less. (Just the prior model.)

PhatBob on Reverb

What I would really recommend though, is a stave drum. Terry at DaVille can make you a custom maple stave, any size you want. Unless you really trick it out, you can easily get it for under $600. And it's a one of a kind. The stave may be closer in sound to what you want than a ply drum and his work is second to none.

He's even got a 14x6.5 curly maple shell with milled re-rings on sale for $127.50! Really worth a look. Just add hoops, lugs and strainer.

DaVille In Stock

Last edited:

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Drums for Sale section of this forum. There are some solid shell snares there at fantastic prices that would definitely fit what you're looking for. None are mine, so no conflict of interest.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many thanks,
The Wandering Bassist
Just ran across this --> https://www.musiciansfriend.com/dru...2549000614000?pfm=item_page.rrCompare|ClickEV

...might work for ya?
OCDP is a well-known boutique brand. Used to be pretty popular with the younger set back in the 90's.

Elvis

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
That's a great choice. Or you could go for a PhatBob, an almost identical Black Panther snare which is about $100 less. (Just the prior model.)
Yeah, I came here to say Mapex Black Panthers offer quality, innovative design and value for money, and they are not shy-sounding.

I have a Phat Bob (10 ply maple, so the new Solidus might be even phatter, gasp) and it's a super drum that has relegated a block/stave snare so far down my priority list that I'm unikely to get one.

A few will turn up their noses at Mapex, but most of that seems to be about the place of origin, the branding, the website or some product from decades ago.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure I’ve ever spent more than $300 on a snare, to be honest, so $700 would seem like overkill from my perspective. In case it is just the maple, though, have you looked at INDe?