Help Picking Out a Snare

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying, given the same sizes for both drums, a WFLIII snare drum is less expensive than a Classic Maple snare drum?

Elvis
Yes! I got the Maple 3 ply 8x14 in Vintage Black Pearl from them for under $500. Production time was 4 days and on the 7th day it was at my door!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems WFLIII has come a ways since I last checked them out.
Thanks for the tip.

Elvis
I just checked my credit card statement. I had forgotten how much it was exactly, Lol!! $459 to be exact. I bought it 1 month ago. The Classic Maple would have been $524 and weeks of waiting. I absolutely love this snare so much that I'll be buying the mahogany one eventually.
I made a thread about it:
Some pics:
4.jpg
6.jpg
10.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's amazing!
Last time I went to their site was right after they started up and all I remember seeing were $3000 snare drums....apparently, they've found a way to make their prices more reasonable.

Elvis

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's amazing!
Last time I went to their site was right after they started up and all I remember seeing were $3000 snare drums....apparently, they've found a way to make their prices more reasonable.

Elvis
FYI for anyone interested:
WFLIII has a 10% off coupon. I don't know if it's still active but I still see it by searching Google for "WFLIII coupon code". I used it last month when I bought mine and saved over $50.

Bmusic

Reaction score
I think you should stay with the snares you have now. They can do all that you need.
I think this is the right answer. I’m grateful for all the suggestions—and yes, I researched them all and want to get one of each, haha—but after putting a fresh Ambassador on the supraphonic and tuning up the Omar Hakim, I’m feeling happy. My tuning skills are very raw, but I’m finding more and more that, with a little work, and can find myself falling in love with a drum all over again.

Thanks again, y’all!

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think this is the right answer. I’m grateful for all the suggestions—and yes, I researched them all and want to get one of each, haha—but after putting a fresh Ambassador on the supraphonic and tuning up the Omar Hakim, I’m feeling happy. My tuning skills are very raw, but I’m finding more and more that, with a little work, and can find myself falling in love with a drum all over again.

Thanks again, y’all!
Boooooooo! This is not the DFO way! If you were meant to be content with what you already have, then why are there so many different kinds of drums? Huh?! You don’t get to stop — not until you’ve got one of everything, and then possibly duplicates in case one of them breaks or ends up in a studio or a practice space or loaned out to a friend who keeps it for slightly longer than the unspoken-but-kind-of-assumed-anyway amount of time! Jeeez, man! Now go sell a kidney or two and buy one of those giant A&F pancake snares as penance.

Bmusic

Reaction score
Boooooooo! This is not the DFO way! If you were meant to be content with what you already have, then why are there so many different kinds of drums? Huh?! You don’t get to stop — not until you’ve got one of everything, and then possibly duplicates in case one of them breaks or ends up in a studio or a practice space or loaned out to a friend who keeps it for slightly longer than the unspoken-but-kind-of-assumed-anyway amount of time! Jeeez, man! Now go sell a kidney or two and buy one of those giant A&F pancake snares as penance.
Evil.

You don’t realize how close I was to getting BOTH an old Rogers COB and a Craviotto Maple.

You’re trying to drag me down to your level.

It might work yet.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
New guy here, looking for some wisdom.

I’m also—how shall I put this?—not much of a drummer. I’m a self-taught hobbyist, and father of a dude who drums in his high school jazz band. So I have a decent DW kit in the house, nice set of K’s, etc.

Enough preamble. Down to it: I’m looking to add a snare drum. (I have a Supraphonic and a Pearl Omar Hakim.) A couple years ago, I had a Craviotto 14x6.5 Custom Shop solid maple, which I loved, but sold (along with a nice Brady) in a fit of “why does a dabbler such as I need 5 snares, including a $1300 masterpiece?”

Now I’d like to recreate the experience of that drum at a lower price point, hoping that the $700 or so I shave off the price tag is stuff my novice chops will never miss. By “that experience,” I mean that earthy, woody crack.

Of the features of that beloved Craviotto, what should I focus on replicating? The 6.5” depth? The solid shell? The wood species? The tube lugs?

The answer I fear, of course, is that I will never replicate the experience of a custom shop Craviotto. But I am humbly open to everyone’s thoughts.

Many thanks,
The Wandering Bassist
one "needs" a Steel snare.. a COB snare, a solid wood snare, a ply- snare and if budget allows- a bronze snare. (see where I am going?) you need a ROOM to display your snares for every occasion ... a Lang-Gladstone would round out the set along with a Black Beauty- engraved, of course..

Bmusic

Reaction score
There's an A&F 14x5 brass on my local craigslist...
And a kick, too...

You people are killing me.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Single ply search on reverb

Solid Shell search.

A few options in a cheaper range there that'll be very similar. A solid maple shell with re-rings will get you 90-99% of the way to the sound you want.

phdamage

Reaction score
I own ten solid shell snare maple snare drums from a bunch of different manufacturers. The depths vary from 4.5" to 7". The hoops are diverse, COB stick savers, stick choppers, COS triple flanged and die cast are all represented. The bearing edges differ quite a bit. The thickness of the shells even vary.

But, they all share the special magic of a solid maple snare drum. I have a bunch of metal and wood multi-ply snares as well, but I love solid shells.

Your mileage may vary.
+1 on this. i think there is something special to a solid maple snare as well. i have a solid maple Noble and Cooley (14x7) that i got for a steal long ago and i will never sell it. i have a lot of fancy snares, but it's still usually my first choice in most recording situations. i'm sure it will be different from a Craviotto, but the N&C's are great and can be had for a bit cheaper - though you might need to be patient and that <$700 mark isn't easy to come by for those.

I will add that if you liked a 6.5" deep solid shell that a 5" solid shell, like the one mentioned, might not do it for ya. i can't get excited by any snare shallower than 6.5", personally. they just feel different and kinda lacking to my ear.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between the Omar Hakim and the Supra, you've covered a large territory .

Keep your ear to the ground for a 14x8 Rogers XP8 Superten maple from the early 80's or the Pearl equivalent in either the Free Floater or regularly lugged model .

FOR EXAMPLE :

Last edited: