Help! Replacement strainer for a 20's ludwig universal?

nfredux

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently acquired a 4x14 20's ludwig universal, but the strainer is busted. Would like to drill the shell and install a modern strainer, but I'm having trouble finding one that will fit the drum's shallow depth and accommodate the center bead. Any suggestions? Tried the inde and the retroplate for a trick, no dice on either. Both too tall. Got no more than 2.5" of space vertically.

Thanks for the advice! Feel free to move this thread if in the wrong spot.

Attachments

nfredux

Reaction score
Makes sense - do you think any of the cheaper gibraltar ones might work? Can only find a p-80 for $70, seems like a lot.

like this: https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-dpto/

or a george way style strainer?

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
/Gibraltar/Piccolo-Snare-Throw-Off-1273887993020.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIydiZm8zA6AIVlODICh0_hwhjEAkYAiABEgK-RfD_BwE

But the George Way is even simpler and very cool.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A new P80 is the solution to replace a P388, at least for the 5 or 6.5”. The mounting portion can be adjusted to fit the factory holes. There are threads about this solution and from personal experience I can tell you it works.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A new P80 is the solution to replace a P388, at least for the 5 or 6.5”. The mounting portion can be adjusted to fit the factory holes. There are threads about this solution and from personal experience I can tell you it works.
There aren't factory holes for the OP's drum, I think.

What's "busted" in the old hoop mounted throw off?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
/Gibraltar/Piccolo-Snare-Throw-Off-1273887993020.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIydiZm8zA6AIVlODICh0_hwhjEAkYAiABEgK-RfD_BwE

But the George Way is even simpler and very cool.
gkrk, the Gibraltar will not span the bead on an old two-piece Ludwig shell. I know because I have one, and had to use spacers to make it work. The mounting tabs are a little too close.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
gkrk, the Gibraltar will not span the bead on an old two-piece Ludwig shell. I know because I have one, and had to use spacers to make it work. The mounting tabs are a little too close.
Thanks. That's good to know for the future. Maybe some way to cut those tabs down a bit but kind of a lot of work. The P-80 just seems high priced, especially when a new P-85 is relatively affordable. The George Way (Camco) is a neat simple system; I didn't know they were available.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There aren't factory holes for the OP's drum, I think.

What's "busted" in the old hoop mounted throw off?
Oops! Didn’t see the pic. Can’t be of any help on that strainer.

nfredux

Reaction score
Thanks all for the help! "Busted" maybe wasn't the most elegant description I could have given, but tbh I'm not sure what's wrong with it; I've never seen a functional one. Basically, when you operate the throw, nothing changes at all. Might be missing a piece. The screw still tensions the snares, but the throw changes nothing.

Sounds like the george way style is my best bet - what did you use for spacers Ron? Could maybe order something, but a trip to the hardware store doesn't seem smart right now. We're under shelter in place where I live. Or maybe I bite the bullet for a p-80...

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks. That's good to know for the future. Maybe some way to cut those tabs down a bit but kind of a lot of work. The P-80 just seems high priced, especially when a new P-85 is relatively affordable. The George Way (Camco) is a neat simple system; I didn't know they were available.
That Ludwig strainer looks dead simple and appears to be all there. Have you taken it apart and made sure nothing is rusted or binding?

How are you planning on mounting the George Way strainer. Above or below the bead?

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
ludwig tango strainer.png

The rod has to slide up and down freely in the two ears that come off of the bracket (red arrows). If the ears are bent then the holes will no longer be lined up and will bind on the rod keeping it from sliding up and down. When you lift the lever the whole rod slides down, releasing the snares. The spring assists this process. The ears may be bent, there may be rust in the hole, the hole may have a burr, the spring may be bad, the shaft may be bent or any combination. It may be as simple as cleaning and lubricating

The ears on the bracket where the snares attach are threaded. Since you say the knob tensions the snares then these threads should be OK.

nfredux

Reaction score
The rod isn't moving at all when I move the lever - maybe something is rusted stiff in there. I was planning on mounting the strainer above the bead, i guess - seems like below the bead the lever might hit the cutout for the snares on the bottom hoop. Does anyone know what the dimensions of the base of the george way strainer are? Looked everywhere but can't find it.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I have given the steps to see why it's not moving. A little WD40 might be all you need.

Personally I think the Way strainer would look terrible mounted either above or below the bead. You also need to measure the available real estate to mount the Way strainer. The base is pretty large, around an inch or so and you may not have enough height for it to fit. The lever may end up sticking above the top of the hoop.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like the george way style is my best bet - what did you use for spacers Ron? Could maybe order something, but a trip to the hardware store doesn't seem smart right now. We're under shelter in place where I live. Or maybe I bite the bullet for a p-80...
The mounting holes put the screws so close to the bead, conventional spacers wouldn't work. I ended up using vent grommets, with the intention of swapping them out for something better. That was probably ~ 10 years ago, and they're still holding up. I'm sure Mcmaster-Carr would have something that would work; maybe a drill bushing.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have the same drum ... i installed a ludwig strainer on mine , don't know the model number
but it's the same strainer that's on my 90's 3.5x14 snare
Bob, I've looked around a bit for 6-hole diecasts for my dance model, but haven't had any luck. Did you have to hunt for those?

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bob, I've looked around a bit for 6-hole diecasts for my dance model, but haven't had any luck. Did you have to hunt for those?
the bottom is a gretsch the top is a tama .... i had the gretsch , and i ordered the tama back in the 90's

Latest posts