header.nohb.html

Help requested - Reverb sale

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It could very well be legit, I've seen it happen a lot. But, I would also worry that you ship it to the FL address, then the guy opens a claim saying he never rec it and tries to get his money back, all the while the FL address was actually the real one, so he got the snare for free. I'd say if he had more transactions under his belt, then go for it. But only 1 transaction? I would probably walk away.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I make a sale It’s always on my terms. Some of these buyers will try and pull ya around by your nose thinking they make the rules. No gear for you!!

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It could very well be legit, I've seen it happen a lot. But, I would also worry that you ship it to the FL address, then the guy opens a claim saying he never rec it and tries to get his money back, all the while the FL address was actually the real one, so he got the snare for free. I'd say if he had more transactions under his belt, then go for it. But only 1 transaction? I would probably walk away.
Couldn’t that happen with any sale though?

He’s got to tomorrow to pay or Reverb automatically cancels the sale. If he pays, it has to go through Reverb, I pay for Reverb protection, and ship via Reverb (their discount is nice anyway) which includes delivery signature. So, I’m covered according to them. I also took screen shots of my convos with Reverb asking for their input on the deal.

Having said that, if he does not pay by tomorrow, I’m done. No new deal.

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t that happen with any sale though?

He’s got to tomorrow to pay or Reverb automatically cancels the sale. If he pays, it has to go through Reverb, I pay for Reverb protection, and ship via Reverb (their discount is nice anyway) which includes delivery signature. So, I’m covered according to them. I also took screen shots of my convos with Reverb asking for their input on the deal.

Having said that, if he does not pay by tomorrow, I’m done. No new deal.
Yeah, you're right. You're definitely covered, so I think you're making the right call.

fenrir

Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. European buyers are aware most sellers stateside don't want to deal with overseas shipping. I've done it a few times with friends/family over there. You're protected through Reverb so go for it.

remymo

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just negotiated the sale of a snare on Reverb on Friday to a buyer who listed only US on his profile. I asked where in the US he was and he replied Florida. Deal accepted.
No payment as of today and Reverb states that you should wait 3 days then contact the buyer. Went to contact the buyer today and his profile says Belgium.

Asked him what the deal was in the message. He responded that the snare is to be shipped to Florida where a friend will have it shipped to him in Belgium (I don't do international shipping as a shop policy). He then says the deal is still on and he hasn't paid yet because his friend is getting back to Florida tomorrow. He says the deal is still on, and I will be paid tomorrow.

My head is telling me that as long as the payment clears and I ship the snare to Florida - no problem. My anxiety says that I might be getting set up. Anyone else's cockles raised with this scenario? Or should I just relax?

Thanks in advance.
This is not uncommon, I do know of people who live in different countries who look to save on import fees by having things shipped by friends (in some countries you can declare things as gifts to avoid import taxes, whereas I don't think you can do that through Reverb.) However, I wouldn't ship unless you get paid through the Reverb portal.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would not proceed with the sale unless the buyer will give you the phone number for the guy in Florida.

If you speak with the Florida guy its good. If the buyer will not pass this info along then you are being scammed. 100%.

It sounds like a plausible situation, but on the other hand, what on Earth is point of waiting until the man in Florida gets home before you pay? That makes no sense. That's a red flag. So yeah, if he really wants the drum he will have no issue letting you talk to the person in Florida.

If I wanted a drum from another country and I was in this situation, I would say sure buddy here is his number, feel free to call and make sure it checks out! I think any of us would do that if we wanted the item. So if he bucks that request you better get out.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Sounds identical to what I've done a lot buying instruments from Japan. I give my ship to address as one of two companies in Tokyo I use that offer Proxy services. The proxy services that I use open the box to inspect, then repackage and ship to me using an international shipper. A lot of the musical instrument dealers or individual sellers on Yahoo in Japan won't ship internationally or the manufacturers don't let them.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
There are a number of freight forwarders who will bid on eBay on behalf of a buyer in a foreign country. What they usually do is buy container space on a ship (and ship once the space is full). The buyer sometimes has to wait a month or so to receive the item, but they are able to take advantage of lower prices in the US for used/collectible gear and save on shipping. I've done at least a dozen or so sales like this, with everything from a splash cymbal to a full kit, and it's all gone smooth.

Your deal is weird because the third party in Florida should have made the purchase on the Belgian's behalf. "Florida Man" could be a friend of the Belgian and intends to take it with him to Europe at some time in the future, or it could be a ruse to say that you shipped it to the wrong address. Regardless, if your listing stated no international shipping, then you are only obligated to ship to the buyer's address if it's in the US, not to Florida Man, since he isn't the buyer, and not to the Belgian, since he's not in the US.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m normally pretty trusting, to a fault even. But Reverb is getting a little shady as of late. Alot of fake listings using other peoples’s photos and such. They used to be pretty easy to spot, but as we saw here on the forum a few weeks ago the scammers are getting pretty creative.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
fwiw, at this moment Reverb is having issues with tracking certain shippers (USPS for one) info porting over correctly to Sellers 'Order' pages. Items are being delivered yet tracking still shows 'Out For Delivery'. I like many others have brought this to their attention and they are putting the onus on the Buyer to communicate via Live Chat to verify or payment will not process.

1. Making a customer do the work Reverb should have done, please.....
2. Might not be a good time to chance a risky sale.

Skinsmannn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutly pass.
Too much potential for a problem. If you do it thru Reverb........good luck after you've been had. They are gettin a lot like feebay.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the opinions and advice. I've read them all and weighed the benefit/risk over the last day. I decided to cancel the snare order just a minute ago after I looked at his profile again today and it now says United States. US to Belgium to US in a matter of 2 days. I waited most of the day for payment to arrive and heard/received nothing. Risk > Benefit.

He very well may be legit, but actions up to now are suspect at best. As nmosko alluded to above - if his friend is due to arrive in FL tomorrow, why wait until he gets there to pay? By the time the drum would have shipped, his friend would have been in Fl for a few days. Alternatively, he could have easily said, "hey, here's payment, please wait day or 2 before shipping."

Thank again!

Last edited by a moderator:

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know, back when ebay was actually fun and for the "little guy". I sold a few items that way. Buyer is outside the U.S. asks to send it to someone in the U.S. Never had a problem with the sale. Done it on a few other forms as well.
My question is, what is the buyer actually saving if you send to someone they know vs. sending it direct to them?

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Know I'm late to the party but my good friend and guitarist had this very transaction on a 1958 Les Paul. sold to a Belgian for $23k and shipped to Florida. We were both skeptical but when payment cleared, he shipped it. All went well despite our initial heebie-jeebies.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know, back when ebay was actually fun and for the "little guy". I sold a few items that way. Buyer is outside the U.S. asks to send it to someone in the U.S. Never had a problem with the sale. Done it on a few other forms as well.
My question is, what is the buyer actually saving if you send to someone they know vs. sending it direct to them?
Half the time they wait until they have enough items and then ship overseas via a freight company- that way is much cheaper than using Fed-Ex/UPS but only if you are shipping a lot of items.

Other times they are visiting friends/family in the USA and intend to take the item back on the plane. Or the friend/family member is coming to visit them and will bring the item with them.

I buy lots of LP's that are in the UK and Europe and then have them sent to a friend who lives in Spain. She either brings them over when she visits the USA or someone else brings them back to the USA when they go visit her. Saves me a ton in shipping- it will generally be about 5 euros or 4 pounds to ship an LP within the UK/Europe- but will be over 20 euros or pounds to ship to the USA.

Lastly- lots of sellers won't ship overseas. So the only way they can buy the item is by having it shipped to someone in the USA.