Help salvage my Supra please.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ED223B2D-6AC7-4AD9-B9D6-CBBACF497EF9.jpeg So I have the bubbles and flakes and corrosion that I’m sure most of you have experienced but it’s pretty severe on the snare side. Aside from neutralizing the oxidation, should I just pick the flakes and bubbles away? Sand it with fine grits? I assume if the corrosion under them goes unaddressed it will only get worse. This is a player/keeper so I’m not concerned with a total restoration. Any suggestions much appreciated!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one that is pretty bad all around. I have not yet gotten around to it completely, as I have much easier restorations pending, but my plan was to take a wood chisel and slowly (by hand) pry the entire chrome coating off, then likely sand it down and either paint, lacquer or maybe let it naturally patina (or mess around with it) and then clear coat it......not sure but it's not a priority right now, sorry. I tried sanding it - no luck. Maybe a good tip on my Dremel will work but I haven't put that much thought into it since my chisel method will be slow and painstaking......oddly, most of mine is on the body and not the edges but I am going to do a full strip off.

And no, I don't want to send it to a metal worker, chrome restripper, etc. There are none near me and I don't want to spend the funds.

I'd try a snare side and tune it up and if it sounds good, just play it. If you have, then I am interested in your technique....

20180314_202922_001.jpg 20180314_202927.jpg 20180314_202932.jpg

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It sounds great but I just took off the original 1964 reso head. The hoops on those always react with the chrome in a bad way. Now the chrome is like a million sharp slivers just waitingto slice a brand new head

andlours

Reaction score
I would tape off below the damaged area and then get some fine steel wool and smooth over the damaged bearing edge. That way you maintain the supra look but also dont damage any heads. The other option would be to get it bead blasted (very cheap to do) and leave it raw aluminum or paint/powder coat it.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would tape off below the damaged area and then get some fine steel wool and smooth over the damaged bearing edge. That way you maintain the supra look but also dont damage any heads. The other option would be to get it bead blasted (very cheap to do) and leave it raw aluminum or paint/powder coat it.
That sounds good. 10 lug Acro conversion or something more colorful. It looks like wheels are cheap enough to do so this should be reasonable. Thanks.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know what bead blasting is, but my plan ultimately is to refinish it and I do have 10 Acro lugs to put on it when it's done......

andlours

Reaction score
I don't know what bead blasting is, but my plan ultimately is to refinish it and I do have 10 Acro lugs to put on it when it's done......
It's like sand blasting but uses a different media that is less aggressive than sand. I used to be all for grinding and sanding and then I discovered a media blasting place relatively close to me and the final product is significantly better.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well strike one: No blasting of chrome in Washington state due to enviro regulations. Looks like I’ll have to send it out or have a chemical dip done. I can feel my wallet emptying as we speak! Lol.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My only concern is losing the date stamp......I'd like to keep SOME of it original if I am stripping the shell! Let us know what you find out but it sounds cost-intensive/prohibitive.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My only concern is losing the date stamp......I'd like to keep SOME of it original if I am stripping the shell! Let us know what you find out but it sounds cost-intensive/prohibitive.
Will do on updates. No date stamp inside so that’s not an issue. Yeah I could pick up a decent shell for $100 so above that it gets a little silly.