HELP! Teaching drums on Zoom

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any tips on how to avoid the mic topping out on an Ipad?

I teach from my computer and figured it out for my computer. So I have no problems

I cannot find ANY tutorials on youtube.com on how to make the audio setting for iPad/zoom

In other words..i have a drum student and he uses an ipad.

When he plays you can hear the first note then the sound dies and it sounds like he is hitting a drum pad two rooms away...i.e. i cant hear anything.

The parent says the audio setting are not on the zoom screen like they are on the computer

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The parent is correct, there are no audio settings for zoom on ios. One thing you could do is have them record before the lesson and then review it in real time. That mightn't work for all situations but it also solves latency issues. Im not sure if microsoft meet has audio settings. You could check that also.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks.

We are just going to have him use his computer i guess. The video is crappy but hooefully sound will be good

russgold

Reaction score
Thanks.

We are just going to have him use his computer i guess. The video is crappy but hooefully sound will be good
Any tips on how to avoid the mic topping out on an Ipad?

I teach from my computer and figured it out for my computer. So I have no problems

I cannot find ANY tutorials on youtube.com on how to make the audio setting for iPad/zoom

In other words..i have a drum student and he uses an ipad.

When he plays you can hear the first note then the sound dies and it sounds like he is hitting a drum pad two rooms away...i.e. i cant hear anything.

The parent says the audio setting are not on the zoom screen like they are on the computer
There IS a setting in zoom that defeats the auto mic level setting. You go into settings before you join a meeting. Find “turn on original sound” and that turns off all the automatic volume control. It’s a new addition so make sure you have the latest version.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There IS a setting in zoom that defeats the auto mic level setting. You go into settings before you join a meeting. Find “turn on original sound” and that turns off all the automatic volume control. It’s a new addition so make sure you have the latest version.
Thanks

I think I have that new version then.

I figured it out. I had a great snare lesson last Friday.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK. So new proble

I had a parent put in the settings but she did not find TURN ON ORIGINAL SOUND in the upper left hand corner.

We managed to disable the suppress persistent background noise and the suppress intermittent background noise.

So the sound was pretty bad but "usuable"

REALLY REALLY frustrating

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. I guess I am the only teacher doing Zoom lessons

161 views and only 2 responses.

Ill keep searching the internet.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom. I just started teaching on Zoom (1 student so far) and have step by step been solving sound issues specific to drums. Seems you have already discovered the "test mic" and are able to adjust input level and have disabled "automatic adjust mic settings." You also have to talk your student through adjustments on their end as well for best results.

I've been able to bypass my old laptop camera and mic instead going with a better clip-on lens and using my drum mics through ProTools, out the headphone jack and into a laptop input for better audio. Just figured out (via a YT video) how to enable stereo but haven't tried it yet. I've found the learning curve to be steep and less than intuitive for handling higher drum volumes.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also another thing I use which I dig. If you can place you cell phone overhead with a selfystick or similar, and get your whole kit in the frame you can then invite yourself to the meeting. Answer the invite from your cell as a third person and you'll have the overhead kit view in your lesson. Make sure you mute the cell audio unless it's better than your computer in which case you'd mute that audio.

Last edited:

TRstix

Reaction score
I’ve been teaching a couple of weeks of online lessons and have had problems with Zoom audio also. Just like what was described earlier. Sometimes most of the sound, except for just a faint attack, gets lost. At other times the drums sound like they are going through some type of phase shift. I’m using an iPad. I did a test in my house with my wife using her iPad while I used mine farther away. We played with the setting referring to original sound and it didn’t make a difference. When possible, I’ve been using FaceTime. I’ve had nine of the loss of sound like I had with zoom. Everything sounds pretty clear. I wonder if Skype is better than Zoom.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So you've made the audio adjustments in zoom on both your end and your wife's and still had problems?
Never tried Skype but my understanding is it's less versatile.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I took a couple of lessons on Skype and we were able to hear each other's tea toweled snare drums ok, well enough to understand clearly the rolls i was learning.

TRstix

Reaction score
So you've made the audio adjustments in zoom on both your end and your wife's and still had problems?
Yes. The only option that I know of for making audio changes is turning on or off the original sound feature. In my tests I did not find it made a difference. I’ll admit, however, that I was in the very early stages of doing this so I may give it a try again.
This video has tips I'll have to try.

Thanks for this. I watched it, but it’s mostly directed to those who are using something other than an iPad or other mobile device. The adjustments she talks about are not available on my iPad. My laptop is too old to use for online lessons. I watched a few videos on doing this and interestingly enough, it seems that the mic on a mobile device is much better than the mic on a laptop or desktop.

For me the problem isn’t about the sound I’m sending but the sound I’m receiving. I can explain what I’m doing well enough for the student to understand what I’m teaching. In fact, for most of many of my lessons, I don’t do that much playing. I’m listening to my student and giving advice and guidance on their playing. I can’t ask my students to purchase mics and all the other equipment you see in that video. At least I’m not ready to.

When I use FaceTime, the audio and video are surprisingly good. No need for anything extra, except for the student having some way to position his or her device so that I get a better view. Most are simply leaning their phone on something and, when it’s not falling over, I don’t get the entire view that I’d like to have. I don’t get that view when it’s falling over, either!

TRstix

Reaction score
I took a couple of lessons on Skype and we were able to hear each other's tea toweled snare drums ok, well enough to understand clearly the rolls i was learning.
That’s good to know. I may try Skype instead of Zoom. I imagine muffling the drums as much as you can makes a difference.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a new addition. I've been using Zoom for 8 years, and the 'Original Sound' option (along with Stereo option), has been around for about two years, probably longer. Most people just never knew about it. I believe its only available for Pro accounts, and higher. I don't use the free version, so I don't know if its on that one.

If the host has that option, all attending should have the option to enable, depending on the devices they're using. You can't do something like drums without this option, or the sound is unbearable. My company has been doing it for years.

russgold

Reaction score
Not a new addition. I've been using Zoom for 8 years, and the 'Original Sound' option (along with Stereo option), has been around for about two years, probably longer. Most people just never knew about it. I believe its only available for Pro accounts, and higher. I don't use the free version, so I don't know if its on that one.

If the host has that option, all attending should have the option to enable, depending on the devices they're using. You can't do something like drums without this option, or the sound is unbearable. My company has been doing it for years.
I was talking about zoom on Mobil devices. That is a new addition.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

NO the adjustments work great from my end and her end.

She has laptop and I have desk top.

I also have an external mic now...its great cause I can share stuff

Latest posts