Help, What Have I Got

little rock

Reaction score
Apparently I have way too much stuff. I was going through some cymbals this afternoon and ran across a set of A. Zildjian 15" hats in beautiful condition. Top is 801g and bottom is 863g. Someone has penciled in under each bell 1 1/4 stamp. They really sound nice. Low volume and somewhat airy, great jazz sound to be that big. Can anyone tell me what these are and maybe an approximate date. Also, in your opinion, what kind of ride(s) and crash(s) would probably go with these the best. I know this last part is very subjective, but give me your opinions. Thanks

saturnresearch

Reaction score
Wow that's pretty light for a set of 15s. Sounds like a really sweet (re)discovery. It'd help if you could post some pictures and maybe a soundfile. I think a dark and raspy light/medium-light 22-24 ride would be a cool complement based on your description. A meinl big apple dark comes to mind, though I've only played one of them once in Sam Ash! (But really liked it.) It'll obviously depend on what kind of music you're trying to play and what you'll be playing on the hi hat.

little rock

Reaction score
Joe, I can do that for my ol' bud. Would some modern K crashes work with that 24" or maybe some 80s A crashes?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be..here's a recent reverb sold 3558g but sure sounds nice

a 2846g (yes. 24" old K..)
and a 2995g 24" old K.

and..they only made 24" after 1967. Very few from 1966 (Intermediate) and none earlier than that

Last edited:

little rock

Reaction score
The person I got mine from said that he bought it from a music store he worked in in the early 70s. Didn't say if it was new or not.

Reactions: JDA

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not “new” in the 70’s.

Great looking hats. I’d find myself some random old A in the 1100g range and another one in the 1400g range. Then you can just stop looking/thinking about hihats. Done.