Help With A Hearing Aid.

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for help with your experiences with purchasing a hearing aid...66 years old -plus hundreds+++ of gigs. Went for a hearing test, have lost a good amount of high frequency range. Cannot afford at this time $2000-$3000 for hearing aids that were recommended. See many others at many other price points.....Looking for some guidance- Thanks

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if the speech and hearing department at your local hospital offers a community discount. I wear hearing aids and love them. When I was questioning getting them, DFO member dcrigger was very helpful. Contact him with questions. I will pm you with what he told me.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all of 48 and recently acquired hearing aids. High end loss like most musicians but earlier this year my "normal" tinnitus seemed to go from a 5 to 9 within a week. One thing I wanted to pass on was to get several opinions, several hearing tests if feasible. Hearing aids are different than PSAP's (Personal Sound Amplification Products) and that's why they cost more. The way it was explained to me was the sound environment filtration is different, that's where the technology ($$$) comes in. That's why Costco can sell the PSAP's for $400 vs. $2000 for real hearing aids. Simply amplifying the sound may actually do more damage to your ears so find an audiologist you trust. I wound up paying $2100 for mine but most places offer 0% financing for a year. It's a widely unstandardized industry so the cost savings aren't there yet, but your hearing is worth the price! Feel free to message me.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It amazes me that insurance still doesn’t cover hearing aids. These are as vital to employment and general life as glasses or teeth.
YES! I was floored to learn this as well. I even went through AARP to see if they offered any discount, nothing.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most hearing aids are designed to enhance speech frequency ranges so won't help much with the upper registers. Best bet is to try to find the most affordable (to you) aids with some sort of high frequency enhancement. Ones I have offer a fairly broad range EQ capability - but they're not likely to be found at your price-point.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Glasses and teeth insurance is very broken as well. They pay for routine out of pocket things and not the big stuff. I would absolutely buy dental insurance that covered major reconstruction, root canals and bridges and things like that at an appropriate premium, and pay for cleanings and fillings out of pocket. But you simply cannot buy it.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I have Premera blue cross advantage health care insurance as a supplement to medicare. My premium is zero. They will allow $1000 per ear per year. I just ordered $2300 worth of hearing aids. My cost? $300.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My tinnitus is getting worse and I'm seeing the ENT next week, who will most likely send me on to an audiologist. I saw an audiologist a few years ago and had a complete evaluation. My issue is that my brain is trying to augment the higher sounds that I'm no longer able to hear. As a result, I have an almost constant high-pitched whooshing in my ears! I will need special hearing aids that also counteract this sound. Before I had Medicare, these would cost me around $2500 each! Now that I have Medicare, I'll be able to get this style for $700 each, which I can afford! I would love to say that my tinnitus is from years of Rock and Roll, but, unfortunately, it's not! Mine is just from the aging process. Sometimes, getting older can really suck!

-Mark

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Premera blue cross advantage health care insurance as a supplement to medicare. My premium is zero. They will allow $1000 per ear per year. I just ordered $2300 worth of hearing aids. My cost? $300.
Your supplement sounds better than mine.....Just found out today with my Medicare Humana Gold Policy gives me 50% off...so I'm going tomorrow....out of pocket will probably end up at $700 per ear approx......

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It amazes me that insurance still doesn’t cover hearing aids. These are as vital to employment and general life as glasses or teeth.
My Medicare insurance plan, SCAN, does cover most of this. I'll still have to pay $700 each, but that's better than $2500 each!!

-Mark

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tinnitus is getting worse and I'm seeing the ENT next week, who will most likely send me on to an audiologist. I saw an audiologist a few years ago and had a complete evaluation. My issue is that my brain is trying to augment the higher sounds that I'm no longer able to hear. As a result, I have an almost constant high-pitched whooshing in my ears! I will need special hearing aids that also counteract this sound. Before I had Medicare, these would cost me around $2500 each! Now that I have Medicare, I'll be able to get this style for $700 each, which I can afford! I would love to say that my tinnitus is from years of Rock and Roll, but, unfortunately, it's not! Mine is just from the aging process. Sometimes, getting older can really suck!

-Mark
Amen my friend...growing old sucks. My Medicare Humana Gold...and I was unaware until today...I Called and found out I can now be paying $700-$800 each instead of thousands.....Very thankful for that.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Amen my friend...growing old sucks. My Medicare Humana Gold...and I was unaware until today...I Called and found out I can now be paying $700-$800 each instead of thousands.....Very thankful for that.
I had Humana Gold until I moved from L.A. county to Riverside county at the end of March. Had to switch to Scan to use the medical facilities I like out here. It's good to know that both Scan and Humana are the same price for these hearing aids. If wearing these specialty devices will alleviate the constant high-pitched whooshing, I'll swallow my pride and wear them!

-Mark