Help with a vintage Rogers please!

Andrew610

Reaction score
Hey all! New to the vintage portion of this site. First time poster, and have some identification questions about a Rogers drumset.
This is my father in-laws drumset from (I believe) the early ‘60s.
He has dementia, so I really can’t get any info from him.

I believe it’s a blue sky ripple pearl and not sure the year. Any help would be great.

It’s a 12”, 16” with a 20” kick and a 14” snare.
Any information about it would be very much appreciated.

also, it’s still very dirty from having been in storage, so hopefully once cleaned up it’ll have that nice glisten again.

cheers!
3DD92527-98D1-4F80-855C-263046D696A6.jpeg
3F342E4A-FDEE-4A1B-AF23-BE0496159B09.jpeg
E51B41FC-B3EF-4BA7-9832-47A6A3EF2634.jpeg
FE80A872-CAF2-4690-BF6A-0ADCF306B2F3.jpeg

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool set... looks like 1962-63 era. I believe Rogers was switching to the Beavertails and 6 ply shells by '64, but these are the earlier Bread and Butter lugs and the 3ply (with sharp edges) Jasper shell. Great shells...

Those lugs are VERY prone to cracking from overtightening of heads AND from playing too hard, so take it easy on this beauty!

Color is Steel Gray Ripple.

Andrew610

Reaction score
Very cool set... looks like 1962-63 era. I believe Rogers was switching to the Beavertails and 6 ply shells by '64, but these are the earlier Bread and Butter lugs and the 3ply (with sharp edges) Jasper shell. Great shells...

Those lugs are VERY prone to cracking from overtightening of heads AND from playing too hard, so take it easy on this beauty!

Color is Steel Gray Ripple.
Thank you! Yes, those lugs are prone to cracking as I’ve read... luckily every one on the toms/snare are not cracked... the kick drum lugs, however, are cracked but not too too badly.
Once I clean this set up and put some basic replacement parts on including heads, I’m going to take it very easy while tuning, that’s for sure, as replacement lugs are not easy to find!

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 1961/62. Brass bread and butter lugs that break. Some can be rebuilt, many are too damaged for repair. The new Rogers company sells two-sided replacements for the snare, but not for the toms and bass.

Beautiful project for the right guy.

Last edited:

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said above early 60's. Mine has the sharp edges too. Mine have some cracked lugs. I'm the second owner, but have had no problems while playing them. Mine has a 63 wood Dynasonic which has hardly any cracks in the lugs . Beautiful set! Congrats
IMG_0573.JPG

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
yep, steel gray ripple, pre-64 probably based on the bread and butter lugs. Very nice drums, should clean up nicely. As was mentioned, just be careful of tuning them up too high due to the delicate nature of the lugs. There is a way to strengthen them in the link below.

Andrew610

Reaction score
yep, steel gray ripple, pre-64 probably based on the bread and butter lugs. Very nice drums, should clean up nicely. As was mentioned, just be careful of tuning them up too high due to the delicate nature of the lugs. There is a way to strengthen them in the link below.

Thank you! Just read that. For a kit that will be played hardly ever, I’m not going to repair/strengthen the lugs.
Just plan on cleaning it up as best as possible, giving it a decent, but careful tune, and that’s that.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About those B&B lugs: I once had a single tension 1962 Rogers bass drum that had "empty" center mounted lugs (the single tension rod simply passed right through... like a single tension Club Date setup, if you will). Even those B&B lugs that had no guts in them were all cracked. I guess the lugs cracked just from the vibration of the shell. Weird...

Andrew610

Reaction score
About those B&B lugs: I once had a single tension 1962 Rogers bass drum that had "empty" center mounted lugs (the single tension rod simply passed right through... like a single tension Club Date setup, if you will). Even those B&B lugs that had no guts in them were all cracked. I guess the lugs cracked just from the vibration of the shell. Weird...
Interesting. For me, the tom and snare lugs are good. The bass drum seems to have every lug with either hairline cracks or noticeable cracks. I’m a little scared to remove the lugs themselves, so I think I’ll just leave them be, until I can at some point find a replacement here and there.

Andrew610

Reaction score
I have a couple of steel gray kits. One of my favorite Rogers finishes. You’ll love that kit.

View attachment 478313 View attachment 478314
Aww man. I really like the look of those beavertails on the toms.
Any suggestions for head replacements? On my (non-vintage) kit I use EC2S’, but am looking for that vintage batter look that was on both the beater/reso sides, you know, to keep it looking as it came originally.

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Coated ambassadors were originally on Rogers I believe. I’ve used coated over clear and have used the Aquarian texture coated. Both sound great.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Aww man. I really like the look of those beavertails on the toms.
Any suggestions for head replacements? On my (non-vintage) kit I use EC2S’, but am looking for that vintage batter look that was on both the beater/reso sides, you know, to keep it looking as it came originally.
Coated heads are the way to go for sure. You may want the Aquarian vintage heads for extra warmth.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My only advice I can give from my experience is, do not even try taking the drums apart for cleaning. Clean them with the lugs attached, because I've had my share of breaking lugs when unscrewing and screwing the screws back into the lugs. Same for head change, go slow on the tension rods when untightening them. You have to treat this whole deal like a water main valve into your home from 1957. They can seize up on you or break threads or parts. Be careful!!!!!!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Some education here. Check this out:

Andrew610

Reaction score
My only advice I can give from my experience is, do not even try taking the drums apart for cleaning. Clean them with the lugs attached, because I've had my share of breaking lugs when unscrewing and screwing the screws back into the lugs. Same for head change, go slow on the tension rods when untightening them. You have to treat this whole deal like a water main valve into your home from 1957. They can seize up on you or break threads or parts. Be careful!!!!!!
I was going to take the lugs off, but after reading about how damn sensitive they are, I’m not removing any. Just going to be extra careful not getting any chrome polish on the laminate. And yes, the head changes/tuning will be done slowly and by hand. I don’t need a specific tune, just want to make it sound somewhat decent. Again, it’s not going to be played pretty much ever. It’s more of a keepsake set.
Thanks!!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's wonderful to see how DFO members support each other in our hobby.....this has been a prime example.
Kudos to each of you! :wink::p

Last edited: