Help with a vintage Rogers please!

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score

lcondo123

Reaction score
For the record, I have a 12/16/22 kit from 1960 with uncracked B&B lugs all around... I toured the kit, gigged it regularly, and tuned it pretty high and never once had a lug issue. Feel free to tune them up and take them for a spin, just don't bash them when you play (and lower the tension if you're gonna let them sit) and you'll be fine. Don't take the lugs off, either, as was mentioned earlier. The tabs that the screws thread into on the lugs are VERY thin and are prone to stripping (or worse, breaking off of the lug itself) if you try too hard to unscrew it. Clean around them and you'll be golden.

Here's mine at a music video shoot my band did a few years ago...

Highly recommend coated Vintage Emperors. B&B lug Rogers thrive in the lower tunings, and those drums with coated Emps will thump all day long. You have the Keller shells with the sharp 45 degree edges, so they'll tune up and sound lovely tuned high as well. That 20" bass drum will surprise you. Coated PS3 on the batter, smooth white Amb with a felt strip up front and you're set.

One more thing.... contact Brian at Covington Drum Works. He has a little workshop in Covington, less than 2 miles from where those drums were built in 61-62. He has a cold-weld technique he uses to reinforce B&B lugs and make them as strong as a tank. He'll also detail your drums and make them look brand new. If you'd rather do that yourself, hit him up for parts you may be looking for. If he doesn't have what you're looking for, hit me up :glasses2:

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some painter's tape placed tight up against the lugs should protect the shell while you polish the lugs. Start with a Dawn solution as it's more gentle yet still a strong cleaner. You might not need a full polishing.