Help With First Time ReWrapping

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Need advice for rewraping a pearl travel kit- I’m completely new to this so any guidance would be helpful. I’d like to get custom wraps with images for each shell. How would I go about that? Does anyone know good shops that will do that? Does it need to be printed on a certain material? Do I need to finish it afterwards? What’s the best way to attach the wrap to the shell?

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First off, I would look at a TON of these videos to see how things are done by different people. And to see if you really want to do the work. As far as custom wrap, a couple of the wrap companies will do very specific wrap for you. You have to call them and get on their websites. Specifically Bum Wrap Company and Precision Drum Co.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
First off, I would look at a TON of these videos to see how things are done by different people. And to see if you really want to do the work. As far as custom wrap, a couple of the wrap companies will do very specific wrap for you. You have to call them and get on their websites. Specifically Bum Wrap Company and Precision Drum Co.

After careful consideration, I be decided to go through with it. Also, thanks so much for the company recommendations

Twakeshima

Reaction score
What are the shell sizes (depth x diameter)? What custom design are you seeking? Budget?
It’s a pearl travel kit-
concert toms: 10x5, 12x5, 14x5
Bass drum: 20x8
Snare: 13x5

I’m looking to making them all into classic American canned food cans- budget is bellow 200?

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Need advice for rewraping a pearl travel kit- I’m completely new to this so any guidance would be helpful. I’d like to get custom wraps with images for each shell. How would I go about that? Does anyone know good shops that will do that? Does it need to be printed on a certain material? Do I need to finish it afterwards? What’s the best way to attach the wrap to the shell?
Two words - Jammin Sam. You've been warned.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After careful consideration, I be decided to go through with it. Also, thanks so much for the company recommendations
Precision Drum Co. is the BEST bet for sure. I've not dealt with Sam. . .but I hear a lot about Sam wanting to do things his way or he might not sell to someone?

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Precision Drum Co. is the BEST bet for sure. I've not dealt with Sam. . .but I hear a lot about Sam wanting to do things his way or he might not sell to someone?
Yeah precision drum co. Is probably what I’ll go with- From what I hear jammin Sam sounds pretty difficult

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow I’ve heard a lot about that- do you have some kind of personal experience with the guy?
Oh yeah haha. Most that have chatted on the phone with Sam get "the talk". Sam swears by the tape method. In fairness to Sam, if you really just want the wrap, and no tape, he'll do it. I'm a glue-down guy.

MelvinJones

Reaction score
I've wrapped two kits myself using Walopus wraps and the tape method. Been gigging with the kits for a couple of years and It's held up beautifully! Be patient when wrapping ;)

microswitch

Reaction score
There are two front in the world of Drum Making. The tape guys and the glue guys. So Who is right and who is wrong?
Let's look at the science...... We all know wood contracts and expand with temperature variation. Also different material reacts to this variation differently according to their characteristics. ( wood, plastic, metal etc.)and also to their sizes ( Most prominent the thickness).
Because most shell of today are 6 to 8 plys and glued at a certain temperature, they will react to the expansion/contraction as one monolithic piece.
If I tape the wrap to the shell, its reaction to the heat/cold would be more than the shell becasue of their thickness. This is what you see on the cheap drums with cheap wrap; it is called RIPPLES!!
Years of constant movement different than the substrate.
But if you glue, than the wrap becomes part of the shell and subject to less variation of movement. So here is the winner !!!!!!!????
NO SO FAST !!!! With heat the plastic degrades over time, it becomes more brittle, so you do not see the ripple.................. but you see the cracks..............
Moral of the story....... the trick to a successful wrap is not the methods you use but how you protect your kit.
Keep them in a dry place, always covered. If you gig in a club 2 /3 night a week do not leave them in the open.. put them back in the bags or case. Most of the kit with cracked wrap or rippled wrap are the cause of neglect from the owners. And to those that say " IT DEFINITELY CHANGES THE SOUND!!.. I say........... Maybe.. but my ears are human and I would not be able to discern the difference.
Another question maybe.. Why all the major manufacturer use glue and not tape?...... Because is faster to assemble with glue.
I don't know if you saw Ludwig Plant video on you tube. The lady has an old machine, like a clothes wringer..... two rolls... pneumatically controlled, and it takes her 5 minutes... literally. you will need more than 30 minutes if you use the tape method. So it is manufacturing times and we know time is money !!!

I will not change anybody's mind on their preferred method but I think is nice to know a bit of the other's side grass.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It’s a pearl travel kit-
concert toms: 10x5, 12x5, 14x5
Bass drum: 20x8
Snare: 13x5

I’m looking to making them all into classic American canned food cans- budget is bellow 200?
Below $200?

I think this puts you in the DIY category. Not that it couldn't be done but you are going to need to set up your own artwork and then probably get your own printing and laminating done at a Kinkos or Staples or such. Even then $200 might be tough to stay under. Guys have done similar projects. They get the design printed on rolls of paper then laminated between clear plastic. At that point you have essentially the same product as what Bum Wrap sells.

Decades ago I had a "floor tom" that I borrowed from the school district that was actually an old tube lug tenor drum from the 1920s or 30s. Someone had redone it by cutting out pictures from food ads from magazines (these were magazines from the 1960s but were probably current at the time the drum was redone) and then made a collage on the drum using mod podge to decoupage the images to the shell. It actually looked cool for a bargain basement rewrap. That would be one way to get a similar effect. You could print out sheets of can logos or other food related trademarks (or anything else you could think of...comic books, car ads, etc. etc. ) skip the laminating and decoupage them of your shells. You could probably stick them over the original wrap (I'm assuming solid black) . I know that's not what you were wanting to do...just a thought that might bring you in under budget with a similar effect.

Below $200 is going to require some "outside the box" thinking.