Help with Grestch mystery kit

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Hi, I acquired a Gretsch kit a year or two ago amongst some other kits but I've never owned a Gretsch before and although it's a rewrap (tangerine sparkle) it appears very well done and it's a stunning kit in many ways. I just don't know how best to represent it as there are some obvious anomalies and I want to be upfront with a local guy who has expressed interest.
Here's some details and pictures.

- The bass drum is 26" and 13 3/4" deep but the bearing edges look original so I don't see any reason to believe it was cut down. Interior is clear (maple?) and absolutely no sign of plugged holes so I'm 99.9% sure there was never a mount for toms. T's and claws appear original and the two bottom claws have regular T rods instead of the type to turn by hand. It has a Gretsch Round Badge. No reinforcing rings.

- The 12" tom is 8" deep with the same clear interior as bass drum. It has the Gretsch Round Badge and no reinforcing rings on this either. The lugs are offset and there are what appears to be two very well patched holes inside the drum. I tried to capture them in the picture. This tom has two mufflers, both complete but missing the felts.

The floor tom is 16 * 16 with black interior and reinforcing rings plus a sticker that reads 'Eugene Zellweger' which looks original to my eyes so I don't think the black interior paint was an afterthought. The lugs are the same style as on 12" tom but have reinforcing backing plates. No Gretsch badge on this one and I don't see any evidence of a patch where the grommet hole for a badge would have existed. No legs on the floor tom so I think it must have sat in a cradle as no evidence of plugged holes.

The 13" tom is 9" deep and the same black interior with reinforcing rings and plates behind the lugs. One muffler on batter head and just like the floor tom there's no badge or evidence that there ever was a grommet hole for one.

A couple of other anomalies. All tension rods on the floor tom and resonant side of 12" and 13" toms are slightly wider than regular tension rods (5/16" to be precise) and too shiny for me to believe they were original. T rods on the other drums look original to me. All tom hoops are single flanged and the chrome is so shiny it's hard for me to believe they were original. The clips holding the rims down again look too shiny to be original.

Heads fit on all drums but are a tight fit for sure, but that's something I've heard about other Gretsch kits.

Sorry for the long winded e mail but I'm new to Gretsch (more of a Rogers, Fibes and Premier guy) and as I'm writing this, it's obvious that I'm looking at a kit from two eras. The bass drum and 13" tom have black interiors with reinforcing rings and no badge and the bass drum and 12" tom have clear interiors and no re rings but any further guidance as to what I've got here would be much appreciated as would insight as to a fair value.

Bass drum.jpeg Bearing edge bass drum.jpeg Bass drum badge.jpeg 12%22 tom interior.jpeg Floor Tom.jpeg Interior Floor Tom.jpeg 12%22 tom.jpeg 13%22 tom exterior.jpeg 13%22 tom muffler.jpeg T rods and clips .jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
looks like a 40s 3 ply rocket lug set in 1941 to 1948 Gretsch catalogs.
rings not uncommon but not spoken/advertised..
there's 2 or 3 similar era sets on reverb

Last edited:

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Thanks for the references and information. I'll do some digging into the Catalogs to get more of an idea and will even get them set up and start playing them! Any more information gratefully received.

Thx,
Peter