Help with holes in a crash

soilworker24

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a paiste alpha 18" thin crash and I dont like how it sounds.
I want to drill holes in It to get a trashy sound, but not too trashy, I want it to be able to stand alone as a crash and not only to complement other cymbals/drums. (More trashy than a S series trash crash but less than an O-zone)
My problem is that I dont know what pattern I should drill to get what I want.
Btw I dont care about the increase of cracking potential because I dont plan on using it the way it is, I cant sell it for much because nobody loves alpha, and besides it can be in a stack if it cracks.
Thanks in advance!-

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 thoughts. Start small and go slow.

I'd start with one or two silver dollar sized holes in the middle of the cymbal (1/2 way between edge and hole). Don't hit it right away...give it a day or two to recover. As for making the hole. I do a lot of my mods with a dremel...but they can run hot so you might want to sprits the cymbal with some water...and cut slowly and take breaks to give it time to cool down.

if its not enough (trashiness) cut another hole...then another day another hole...you can never go back...so go slowly...

soilworker24

Reaction score
2 thoughts. Start small and go slow.

I'd start with one or two silver dollar sized holes in the middle of the cymbal (1/2 way between edge and hole). Don't hit it right away...give it a day or two to recover. As for making the hole. I do a lot of my mods with a dremel...but they can run hot so you might want to sprits the cymbal with some water...and cut slowly and take breaks to give it time to cool down.

if its not enough (trashiness) cut another hole...then another day another hole...you can never go back...so go slowly...
Wow, great advice thanks!
Never thought about giving the cymbal time to recover

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it just occurred to me...you may want to go with bigger holes. I have a couple of cymbals where I cut out sections (not really holes) to take out groove cracks...they didn't really add trashiness...but made them open up quicker. FWIW one of the nicest flat rides i had was an early alpha.

soilworker24

Reaction score
it just occurred to me...you may want to go with bigger holes. I have a couple of cymbals where I cut out sections (not really holes) to take out groove cracks...they didn't really add trashiness...but made them open up quicker. FWIW one of the nicest flat rides i had was an early alpha.
So I might want to Start with like 2" holes?

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go bigger...maybe 3 and maybe leave 6 inches between them at first (but think about where you'll want them if you do a whole cymbal).
And fwiw...i had two roctagon's done by Midwest cymbal repair and he did a design where the whole were sort of in a design, and not like an ozone (perfect spacing etc). You could also play with adding smaller holes too...I would just go slow (a little modding over a lot of days)...and watch for heat build up.

soilworker24

Reaction score
I'd go bigger...maybe 3 and maybe leave 6 inches between them at first (but think about where you'll want them if you do a whole cymbal).
And fwiw...i had two roctagon's done by Midwest cymbal repair and he did a design where the whole were sort of in a design, and not like an ozone (perfect spacing etc). You could also play with adding smaller holes too...I would just go slow (a little modding over a lot of days)...and watch for heat build up.
I think il go with this plan, thanks alot for the help!

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I've done this multiple times.
My 2 cents -
You can lay a drum hoop atop the cymbal & use the lug holes to mark out a pattern.

You can use a hole-saw in a cordless drill & that works fine but you'll be stuck with holes the size of whatever saw you used.

I like use a step bit. With this, you can start small, test & enlarge if you want.

Happy hole-making!

KevinD

Reaction score
It sounds like you are on the right track but you may find some useful tips on rdavidr's YouTube channel. He has a couple of vids where he has done similar things, in addition to all sorts of drumming DIY stuff. I can get stuck there for quite a while picking up some new ideas for projects.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rdavidr