Help with info on my Gretsch Kit

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is my Gretsch Kit all cleaned up. Can anyone help date these drums? I picked up the bass and tom about 4 years ago for a steal on the bay. It has taken me almost that long to find the FT, but just recently got one from a forum member. It has a date stamp of 1953 so that one I know. These are all 3 ply, clear interiors, but none have tags and the bass and tom date stamps are too smeared to read. I'm thinking they are from 50's as well but not sure how to tell. The FT is a little more yellowed, but I gave it some serious elbow grease this weekend to try to get the WMP to pop like the others. The 13" is beautiful. The only problem is one of the bass cymbal mounts is stripped and someone jammed a big bolt in there so I'll have to scour eBay for one or post in the wanted section.

Interesting the rail consolette has a "BE A" stamped on the left and "RevereRedBra" stamped on the right.

Any ideas on age and why the heck didn't Gretsch put serial numbers on the badges like Ludwig?

Attachments

• IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4427.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 37

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
nice kit! judging by the diamond cymbal l arm bracket in front of the bass drum rail, the stick chopper hoops, and what appears to be a natural interior shell, its definitely a 50's kit, with the coveted 3 ply shells! 22/13/16 sizes i assume, would be known as the broadcaster or name band model. really great set of drums!

as far as the badges with no serials, not gretsch's style. they did include orange interal tags on their drums in the 60's, ive seen some in the 50's as well, take a look inside the drums for them, if they are not there its no big deal, but the internal tags are serialized. some earlier 50's gretsch drums were date stamped with small red ink inside the shells, take a look for those as well. its nearly impossible to date gretsch drums as most of their info was lost over the years in fires at the factories, but there are some cats who are trying to create a dating guide online, take a look for it. but u can rest assured its a 50's 3ply kit! nice! if u ever wanna sell it, lemme know!

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
why the heck didn't Gretsch put serial numbers on the badges like Ludwig?
Just as an aside, Ludwig didn't put serial numbers on their badges until around 1963 and then only because it was required by the government (at the request of the insurance industry). They didn't keep any records pertaining to the numbers on the badges either. A Ludwig (or rather WFL or Leedy & Ludwig) of similar vintage would also have to be dated by other clues.

Gretsch put the required serials inside on the paper tags but seems to have been similarly lax about keeping any records (and any they may have kept are long gone).

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretsch began to use a silver sealer on the interior of its shells in about 1954. Your drums appear to pre-date 1954.

The style of round badge varied over time, so if you can provide pictures, compare to the badge on your floor tom with a known 1953 date and the information here (http://www.gretschdrumdatingguide.com/other-gretsch-projects.html once there, click on the blue link to get to the paper), that might help to narrow it down.

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'm mainly a Ludwig guy. This is my first Gretsch kit that I've restored. I'll check out the badges and interiors and post some more pictures.

Keeper John

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful kit and I agree with the dating posted already.
Could you post a pic of the curious stamp on the rail consolette?

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking set. Is the issue with certain heads not fitting something present on 1950's Gretsch drums?

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup. I say mid fifties. Cool double flange rims! I'm still looking for some better conditioned 12" double flange rims.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the kit! The big 3 ply Gretsch kits are some of my favorite drums. Heads fit great and they ring like some serious tubs. I have matching sister kit to yours. My kick is a 16x22 but otherwise a twin.

16x22.jpg