Help with Ludwigs

spinningchicken

Reaction score
Don't know much about 60's Ludwigs, what is here? They've been stored in a friend's mother's basement since about 1969. She told me to come get them and enjoy playing them.

My first kit was a 1976 Ludwig red/white/blue swirl vistalite purchased July, 1976 in Albany, Georgia when I turned 16. Waited three months for them to be made and shipped. In 1978 I purchased a koa Rogers Big R Londoner 7 and played Rogers ever since, except for a brief period in the 80's when I got stupid and had to have a set of Simmons SDSV. Still have all the kits plus a few more Rogers.

Don't play much any more but it's hard to pass up free drums, especially old ones. So what is here? Thanks in advance for responses.

Attachments

ludtubs

Reaction score
awesomeness is what's there. :) looks like a Super Classsic 13/16/22, w/a Supraphonic snare. would be amazing if the snare was actually a COB "Super," but too hard to tell by the pic. Speed King pedal, 1123-1? hi hat stand, original throne. cymbals, Zildjian? is that red a "sparkle?"

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What you have there is a kit that will probably clean up and look (almost) as good as the they they were born :)

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ludtubs said:
awesomeness is what's there. :) looks like a Super Classsic 13/16/22, w/a Supraphonic snare. would be amazing if the snare was actually a COB "Super," but too hard to tell by the pic. Speed King pedal, 1123-1? hi hat stand, original throne. cymbals, Zildjian? is that red a "sparkle?"
+1

Trev

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, how cool is that! This sort of thing never happens to me....mutter mutter... seethe rage jealousy... :)

Very nice kit and will clean up well.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Those are totally awesome! Would love to see more pics when you get them home. The set is a super classic and from the pics I would guess they are mid to late 1965. Nickle hardware was phased out around the end of 1965 or so and the badge on floor toms moved from the center of the drum to the top of the drum. Those tom mounts/leg mounts/cymbal arm mounts changed over to the more current boxy style in either late 1965 or early 1966. The ink inside the shells typically changed from red ink to black around this time period.

Ludwig was in a time of great expansion by 1966 and the factory had an upgrade and lots of little changed on the drums was happening. The Ringo effect was in full swing at this time as well. Your drums should have white painted interiors and one if not more of the drums could have a date stamp that will most likely be all the same day or close to it. The supraphonic snare drum(if it came with the set and I bet it did) might have a date stamp that is somewhat close to the set as well but could be off by weeks or so. Supraphonics were made by the thousands as the chrome finish was an easy match to any drum set out there. This cut down on the use of using up extra wrap, wood materials and the need to match a colored snare to the same colored set. With a supra, one could be just grabbed out of stock which could explain the dates off as the supra that was grabbed could have been made earlier and was just waiting to be put with a set.

Please let us know what you find out and most of all, enjoy those drums! With the right care and patience, those will clean up to be an awesome set!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
After zooming in on the photo I am thinking those could actually be chrome hardware. I still think late 1965 but that's my opinion. Check those cymbals too. Ludwig was the Paiste distributor in the 60's and if those are Paiste 602's that would be an excellent find too!

spinningchicken

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses. I'm not sure when I'll actually get possession of them, but after taking time to clean and prep them for playing, I think I've found them a home.

A guitarist has a home studio, he is one of the 'least known, most recorded' session guitarists in Atlanta, and he is one of my best friends.

About a year ago I traded some work for a red sparkle jazzfest snare, and I gave him the snare. Now, there is a set to match it. I know how happy he will be to have the drums, and they will be well received, well cared for, and played by some fine musicians, and make beautiful music.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Good to hear that they will go to a good home. I would probably change out the heads as those look to be the original heads! Definitely save them though as that makes the set pretty cool to have its original heads.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a great home and a match made to be together. Should sound nice.

landofahhs

Reaction score
My two cents...Judging by comparing my personal Ludwig Hollywood set (which I've owned since 1966) I'd agree the set in the photo is 1965 or even maybe a bit earlier but definitely in the first half of the 60's decade. The throne looks identical to mine as do the lugs and legs on the floor tom. The hi-hat is very similar also but there are some other characteristics that look earlier than what my set has...such as the tom mount on the bass and the rims on the floor and snare drums. Looks like a great find. It all should polish and clean up like new.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great score......that lady deserves a nice bouquet of flowers! Feel free to send me the cymbals to share the love!
And what's up with your friend???? Aren't they "his"????

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
That kit has the early wing screw style mounts.
64 or earlier . The placement of the FT badge and early leg mounts would suggest '64.
I want more!
Where's the kit now?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the badge moved up to that posistion sometime in late 1965. The also used those floor tom/ride cymbal mounts like those until about 1965 as well. Mike Layton might know the more fine specifics than me but I know I have owned drums like this one before that had 1965 date stamps. I think nickle hardware was also phased out around the 1965 timeframe as well...

spinningchicken

Reaction score
Picked up the drums today. Date stamps are April 22, April 26 and May 01, 1965. Not sure if the snare is COB or not, a magnet does not stick, but that's all I know. Very little pitting on the shell, think it will clean up nicely.

There is seam separation on the floor tom and one panel on the bass drum. Stands have rust and some pieces do not move but I think they will unfreeze with some work.

After sitting in a basement since about '69, the finish is in good condition with exception of wrap separation. The heads are original, and as far as the owner knows, today was the first time heads were removed from the drums. Cymbals are "Ludwig Standards" by Paiste, with one exception, that does not have a embedded logo stamp that I can find. Has "Pasha" in black ink, and "made in....can't read the last word." Has a 1/2 moon and star also in black ink, but again I can't find a stamp logo pressed into the cymbal. Guessing Italian made, but not sure. Certainly not high quality cymbals.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Well thanks for the info! I have looked at thousands of Ludwigs over the years and something always catches me off gaurd. I was sure that the badge moved later in the year 1965 but this shows that it was at least the earlier part of 1965 if not earlier. Keep us updated on the progress.