header.nohb.html

Help with recording cymbal demos (how to?)

ty1173

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am seeking the conventional wisdom of the group as I am looking for the simplest way to record audio/video (or audio) of cymbal demos. I am looking to sell a bunch of cymbals and would like to be able to shoot short demos but right now only have an iphone and ipad. I know from trying already with the phone, that shooting it with the internal mic alone does a very poor job but I have no need for a whole mic setup outside of these demos.

I have thought about potentially getting a Zoom H6 or the like, using it as an overhead or close micing and syncing it up with a video for the purposes of then putting it on youtube.

Does anyone have a simple way of recording a cymbal that does the job reasonably well without having to delve into a a whole recording setup for drums, with multiple mics, preamps, etc.

Thanks,

TY

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Iphone mics are supposed to be quite good. There might be a problem with the incoming level (gain) since cymbals are louder than voice etc.

ty1173

Reaction score
It is a slightly reasonable approximation depending on where you place the phone (how far from the cymbal, above, below, etc.). But from what I found is that the high end is extremely exaggerated. That might be because of the gain levels and it can't compensate.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you keep the iPhone well away (say 8 feet minimum) from the source, the high-end attenuation and the extreme compression characteristics of the iPhone recording largely fade away. Try using your iPhone placed across the room and I'll bet it'll sound fine (at least good enough for a cymbal sale demo).

That said, the Zoom units and the iPhone compressor mic's are a good step up from the internal iPhone mic.

ty1173

Reaction score
If you keep the iPhone well away (say 8 feet minimum) from the source, the high-end attenuation and the extreme compression characteristics of the iPhone recording largely fade away. Try using your iPhone placed across the room and I'll bet it'll sound fine (at least good enough for a cymbal sale demo).

That said, the Zoom units and the iPhone compressor mic's are a good step up from the internal iPhone mic.

Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing is then you don’t get the shot of the cymbal but I wonder if I can use the mic from the phone to record it as you suggested from a distance and then use the tablet to record the video and then merge the two?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing is then you don’t get the shot of the cymbal but I wonder if I can use the mic from the phone to record it as you suggested from a distance and then use the tablet to record the video and then merge the two?
Or you could place your phone in a birdseye location on a high shelf behind the set?

afwdrums

Reaction score

ty1173

Reaction score

2oo2

Reaction score
Any relatively recent iPhone can provide a good-enough audio recording, only issue is the low SPL the mic can stand before clipping. I have recorded short videos of my cymbals with an iPhone and the accuracy is pretty good, it captures the sound in a very neutral way, only thing is you need to position the phone no closer than 6 feet to avoid clipping, probably farther if you plan to hit the cymbals with full force.

ty1173

Reaction score
Any relatively recent iPhone can provide a good-enough audio recording, only issue is the low SPL the mic can stand before clipping. I have recorded short videos of my cymbals with an iPhone and the accuracy is pretty good, it captures the sound in a very neutral way, only thing is you need to position the phone no closer than 6 feet to avoid clipping, probably farther if you plan to hit the cymbals with full force.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely have to do this as I was having the phone within 3 feet or so and it was clipping.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am seeking the conventional wisdom of the group as I am looking for the simplest way to record audio/video (or audio) of cymbal demos. I am looking to sell a bunch of cymbals and would like to be able to shoot short demos but right now only have an iphone and ipad. I know from trying already with the phone, that shooting it with the internal mic alone does a very poor job but I have no need for a whole mic setup outside of these demos.

I have thought about potentially getting a Zoom H6 or the like, using it as an overhead or close micing and syncing it up with a video for the purposes of then putting it on youtube.

Does anyone have a simple way of recording a cymbal that does the job reasonably well without having to delve into a a whole recording setup for drums, with multiple mics, preamps, etc.

Thanks,

TY
Personally I like the Shure MV88 Plus. It’s affordable, the app lets you control input parameters, EQ, compression etc., monitor the sound live. You’ll end up using it for many other purposes once your cymbals are sold.

ty1173

Reaction score
Personally I like the Shure MV88 Plus. It’s affordable, the app lets you control input parameters, EQ, compression etc., monitor the sound live. You’ll end up using it for many other purposes once your cymbals are sold.

Thanks for the suggestion. What is the difference between the MV88 and the MV88+

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't buy cymbals without a good sound file. Doesn't have to be studio quality....but "good".

However, I couldn't care less about seeing the cymbal as it is played...assuming the player is honest and I don't end up receiving something different than what was represented.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. What is the difference between the MV88 and the MV88+
The MV88 plus is a capsule that mounts onto a smart phone clamp and also uses a cable to connect to the phone. It allows you to use a longer cable if you wish and some degree of swivel, where as the MV88 mounts directly to the port on the phone and the mics are in a fixed position. Also, the MV88 plus has four different mic choices like cardioid, hard LR stereo, adjustable stereo and combined. Although the MV88plus is a little bit awkward and slightly less convenient to carry around, the extra features outweigh the compact MV88 “plug and go” nature. Both use the same mic components, it’s more about the configuration and features. The Motive Video app is the real bonus here. I like that I have both presets and storable settings. So I can have my cymbal settings saved and my live band settings saved and just pull them up as needed. All videos can be moved to my photo library to be edited and uploaded easily. If you go to my IG @bwcymbals you’ll see plenty of examples of live and solo cymbal videos. Most were made on the fly, so if you where to really get to know the device, room and your settings it can dialed in better. Also, you can record up to 4K and wave or reduce your data load to much lower.

Downsides are: must use battery power, (I have recorded up to 1.5 hours contentiously, could have gone longer) and the mic can’t be used with other apps like FaceTime, Live IG etc. despite the 2.5 rating of the app, for the reasons I’ve just listed, it has worked flawlessly for me. Also pretty darn quiet. I have had luck with zoom products in the past, this mic to me is better, built better (aluminum not plastic) and works really well at this price point. Far better than my two $250 condenser mics and a cheap mixer and the hassle and hiss they bring.

Last edited:

ty1173

Reaction score
The MV88 plus is a capsule that mounts onto a smart phone clamp and also uses a cable to connect to the phone. It allows you to use a longer cable if you wish and some degree of swivel, where as the MV88 mounts directly to the port on the phone and the mics are in a fixed position. Also, the MV88 plus has four different mic choices like cardioid, hard LR stereo, adjustable stereo and combined. Although the MV88plus is a little bit awkward and slightly less convenient to carry around, the extra features outweigh the compact MV88 “plug and go” nature. Both use the same mic components, it’s more about the configuration and features. The Motive Video app is the real bonus here. I like that I have both presets and storable settings. So I can have my cymbal settings saved and my live band settings saved and just pull them up as needed. All videos can be moved to my photo library to be edited and uploaded easily. If you go to my IG @bwcymbals you’ll see plenty of examples of live and solo cymbal videos. Most were made on the fly, so if you where to really get to know the device, room and your settings it can dialed in better. Also, you can record up to 4K and wave or reduce your data load to much lower.

Downsides are: must use battery power, (I have recorded up to 1.5 hours contentiously, could have gone longer) and the mic can’t be used with other apps like FaceTime, Live IG etc. despite the 2.5 rating of the app, for the reasons I’ve just listed, it has worked flawlessly for me. Also pretty darn quiet. I have had luck with zoom products in the past, this mic to me is better, built better (aluminum not plastic) and works really well at this price point. Far better than my two $250 condenser mics and a cheap mixer and the hassle and hiss they bring.

Awesome, I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a Rode VideoMicro (about $25 on ebay) plugged into my iPhone for quick videos. You can get a holder to attach the microphone, and mount your phone on a tripod.

Get the camera several feet at least away from the cymbal, don't hold it in your hand.

In the videos themselves, don't use real heavy sticks, make sure we get to hear the ride sound, bell sound, crash sound, and accent with the should of the stick. Play some louder 8th notes in the lower ride area so we can hear if it washes out.