Help with snare wires on underside of batter head

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought my kid a First act drum set for his 5th birthday (holy crap, he turns 12 next week!).....it has a very similar snare system. I bet you can do something with the LP timbale snare system.

egw

Reaction score
I Macgyvered one of those years ago with some cheap wires cut in half, bolted to an old internal muffler from an MIJ kit with the felt removed.

Last edited:

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought my kid a First act drum set for his 5th birthday (holy crap, he turns 12 next week!).....it has a very similar snare system. I bet you can do something with the LP timbale snare system.

That one is interesting. I'd be concerned about hitting the wires a lot, especially on a 6" drum.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's another version on eBay

Looks like Tama makes that same exact thing:

I'm not the most comfortable buying from Asia via ebay (not for COVID) reasons, so I've got a local-ish shop trying to track down the Tama version for me.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the only adjustable factor is either on or off. I suppose lightly on versus significantly on....... for my kid's First Act snare, it's pretty much all or nothing. Obviously it's a junk drum to begin with...

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I Macgyvered one of those years ago with some cheap wires cut in half, bolted to an old internal muffler from an MIJ kit with the felt removed.
Great idea! This way you could make use of internal mufflers on a lot of older snares 8if you don't like the mufflers as they are), for some extra sizzle (also muffling the batter head to a degree). I think Yamaha Oak Custom snares came with one like this at some point.

Reactions: egw

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you remember how you removed the felt? I have an extra internal muffler. Looks like it's riveted on?

I'm going to go your route as the lead time on the Tama version is 3-4 months.