Help with Vintage Yamaha Birch Snare throw

Sshader

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Im hoping someone can help. I have a vintage Yamaha SD 65D. Always loved the sound of it. But its always had an issue with the throw disengaging during play. In the past, either I didn't mind as much or its getting worse, lol I cant tell.

Anyway - went to my local drum shop here in Pleasanton (The best drum shop in SF Bay BTW - Dubs Drum Basement!) and he and I fiddled with it for an hour. We both came to the conclusion that its sort of a wonky design. There isn't a way to make it stay in place (we tightened the machine screws, etc).

Any ideas? I really love this drum and get many compliments on it, but I cant keep having it throw in the middle of a gig.

Thanks! Great forum - love reading all of the immense knowledge here...

Stu

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Loop a hair tie or rubber band around the tension rod to the right of the throw off lever, and then slip it over the lever. This will keep it in the on position. You can easily slip it off the lever to throw snares off. Looping the hair tie around the tension rod between the lug and the hoop keeps it in place when in use or not.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loop a hair tie or rubber band around the tension rod to the right of the throw off lever, and then slip it over the lever. This will keep it in the on position. You can easily slip it off the lever to throw snares off. Looping the hair tie around the tension rod between the lug and the hoop keeps it in place when in use or not.
Have this same problem with a '62 Gretsch RB snare with a well worn Microsensitive strainer. I had been using a bent up paperclip between the tension rod and the lever, but now with your suggestion of a hair band- it is holding much better and easier to disengage......Thanks!

Sshader

Reaction score
Thanks everybody - This is great idea. Although the hairband isnt strong enough - you have led me down another way to try and fix it. Appreciate the advice and help!