Help with Wonderwall fill timing at 2:07

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Hey All, I’m playing with a new band this Saturday and they play Wonderwall by oasis. Whats throwing me is the timing going into a fill at about the two minute mark. Does anybody know how this goes as far as timing is concerned? I’ve got the fill down…

thx

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember this puzzle well. We were hiring bass players, I told our band leader, don’t pick this guy, he is not solid...but he did and came with a list of a half dozen songs that he wanted to do including Wonderwall.

Wonderwall, what kind of teenybopper nonsense?...But I soon learned that it is a great song with its own mysteries. The timing of that fill is definitely one of them.

The bass player flaked and quit, we never played the song out but I did get it. Explaining it is another matter. I looped the part until it qualified as psychic-driving.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
fermata ...that's the pause (time stands still) ...then the fill (restarts the time) is 14 notes like
1 e an da
2 e an da
3 e an da
4 e In

I'd leave it up to the front line (if they can get it comfortable) and Just follow along with it; in other words let them lead (maybe they strum it in- their way) . Just flop around around and be ready when they the front line come together. Or tell them it's this " 7 1/8 note pick up" above.

7 8th notes pick up pick-in..weird as f
1 e an da, 2 e an da, 3 e an da, 4 e -IN

seems to be a 7 beat pick-up in
(it ain't jazz I'll tell you that..)
more emulating a teen girls daydream)

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I swear, it sounds like a bad splice or somethin...wayyy before ProTools.
Didn’t someone post an interview with Doane Perry from Jethro Tull where he said, something to the effect, that he was in the States touring and an established American drummer complimented him on the “stumpability” of his drumming and he said that it was because they were all self taught.

Alan John “Rene” Wren from the Stone Roses is the same way. We covered a few of their songs and man will that guy stump you. He simply does not care where he starts a fill.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I swear sometimes these fills aren't thought out at all. It's bands that have played together for a long time, a weird part comes up and they all "feel" it. Then it's left to us to try to learn and count the uncountable!

dsop

Reaction score
Treat that last guitar chord before the break as if it's playing on beat one.
Then start on beat one of the next bar with an 8th note rest, then one eighth note.
Then a sixteenth note, another eighth note, and a sixteenth note.
Now two eighth notes.
Then four sixteenth notes.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Treat that last guitar chord before the break as if it's playing on beat one.
Then start on beat one of the next bar with an 8th note rest, then one eighth note.
Then a sixteenth note, another eighth note, and a sixteenth note.
Now two eighth notes.
Then four sixteenth notes.
Yep, and I think there's an uncounted pause before.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In on the and of 1. There’s a bar of two going into the break. Drums enter right in time.
Make sense?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Actually you can take the Pause (I call fermata...) Get up. Go to the Lav. Flush. Check hair and teeth in the mirror. Wash hands. Walk back. Whisper in the waitress ear. Climb back up on the drums
and Go:

Nov12019 001.JPG

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh man did I use to screw that one up! i only play it now with an acoustic duo that’s fun and loose. People dance drunkenly and sing along to that one at the end of the night so I just play 1/4’s on the kick and wing some sort of pick up. Nobody cares.

if I were still playing it with the full band I would br more interested in learning the timing. Almost had it down, but I can’t count it, I have to feel it.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn’t someone post an interview with Doane Perry from Jethro Tull where he said, something to the effect, that he was in the States touring and an established American drummer complimented him on the “stumpability” of his drumming and he said that it was because they were all self taught.
You might be thinking of Clive Bunker, who was referring to a compliment paid upon him by BS&T's Bobby Colomby. I believe their conversation started with Clive stating (paraphrasing here) "If all the American drummers play like you, I might as well go home!" Clive had no idea how good he was because he and his British contemporaries were completely self-taught, which apparently baffled the well-schooled guys like Colomby.

lawsater

Reaction score
Do not get the confusion on this one, 2 bar break does not matter where you come from not exactly prog rock

jakeo

Reaction score
I count it like this -the music stops on beat 3 - and the fill starts on the and of 3 in the next measure and goes through the next measure of 2 and then everyone is back in.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
When we play it, I just give a short rest, two stick clicks to re-establish the tempo for the guitarists, then go into the fill. It's rock n roll, don't overthink it.

mpungercar

Reaction score
I count it like this -the music stops on beat 3 - and the fill starts on the and of 3 in the next measure and goes through the next measure of 2 and then everyone is back in.
That's how I hear it too. I think folks are counting where the music stops as beat 1. if you do this, you end up in all kinds of weird place. If you start counting along earlier in the chorus, you can very clearly hear that it ends on beat 3, and then picks up 1 measure later on the & of beat 3.

Latest posts